PayPal Error with no error code!

symanski

Hi, hope someone can help on this one....

Without warning the PayPal API has stopped functioning. It was working fine, and I've not made any changes to the site but it stopped. PayPal say there's nothing wrong, my host says they haven't changed anything. But it's not working. I'm running Prestashop 1.4.8.3, and PayPal API. I've tried this with an older V2 API and also 3.2.1. and both give the same error:

Error occurred:

Please refer to logs:

1. PayPal response:
  2. ->

This is right at the last stage of the check out just when it should be loading up the PayPal website and the customer then is expected to make the payment. So it's still on my site, but failing to move forward to PayPal. There is no other error message than what you see above.

What I have been able to do is take the entire website and database and put it on a Linux VMWare image and run it, after reconfiguring the parts that need to as it's now on a different server. It works fine this way. I've also had my brother do similar hosting it in Windows. I've even upgraded the site to V 1.5 (which makes the site an absolute mess!) and it still gives the same error message at check-out time.

Given that it's running ok on my own servers, but not my ISP host's server, can anybody suggest what could have caused this error? Until last week it was all running fine! Help!!

What I have figured out is that if we disconnect the internet connection on our test environment it gives the same error. So I believe the host is blocking the PayPal module somehow. What should we get unblocked for the PayPal module to work?

Edited by symanski (see edit history)

Yes, cURL extension is installed. I think it's a Firewall problem and here's how I know.

I've taken the website and installed on my local PC. It's then able to work perfectly. When I then switch off the router for the intenet but continue to use the local PC (as a server) I get the same error as when it's on my internet host. That is with no internet connection it does exactly the same as what it would if it were getting blocked.

Therefore, what I really need to know is what IP addresses should I get my internet host to open up to allow PayPal communication? I've been trying to find these addresses.

Testing a whole batch of them I've found one that I can get to but the internet host can't. But trying to block that one locally made no difference (although my router might not have done this correctly), so I suspect there's another list that's more authoritive.

Any suggestions anybody?

I have exactly the same problem.

I upgraded shop to version 1.4.9 and PayPal v3.2.2 does not work.

Error occurred:

Please refer to logs:

PayPal response:

->

Please solve it

It seems to me that this problem is only with some upgrades

when I install a new shop on my server so everything works fine and theme

my shop is unable to be redirected to PayPal long waiting and then the advantages mentioned error

Getting the same here, Paypal version 3.2.4 and Prestashop version 1.4.7, compatibility issue maybe? How do we resolve?

This is an urgent situation for people as I'm sure you can appreciate. Especially as it affects payment acceptance through one of the worlds biggest portals, via an eCommerce platform....not good really, losing business, losing money :(

I've had a call from my host. Apparently it's PayPal who are blocking access from my host's servers!

My host asked me to contact PayPal and put me on to their technical team www.paypal.com/mts to see if I can find out why PayPal have decided to block my website / their servers.

Top marks to my host for being able to figure out this part. I've only been able to verify that a connection from my site to PayPal was being blocked by running php scripts which replicate a ping test. I created a scrip from here: http://akensai.com/php-script-ping-status/

Then ran it on these IP addresses that I did a Who Is on the domain name:

api.paypal.com

api-aa.paypal.com

api-3t.paypal.com

api-aa-3t.paypal.com

You can effectively verify a blockage by testing on a different server from where your site is being hosted. I did it on my local PC which was set up as a webserver.

I have to stress much of this is beyond me - I'm just trying my best to figure it all out! If I'm wrong, sorry!

• Like 1

Getting the same here, Paypal version 3.2.4 and Prestashop version 1.4.7, compatibility issue maybe? How do we resolve?

This is an urgent situation for people as I'm sure you can appreciate. Especially as it affects payment acceptance through one of the worlds biggest portals, via an eCommerce platform....not good really, losing business, losing money :(

Hello, have you installed the backwards compatibility module?

Yes everything is fine.

Today I discovered that when I put a new shop on my server so it carried, but when I put it on another server so everything works well.

Problem is probably in that I have a block of ip in the PayPal system as symanski wrote in the previous post.

I desperately

• Like 1

Hello djjohnny, did you have to call PayPal and get that sorted out?

I think from what he's saying he's put it on to a different host and then it worked. So same code, different server, works. Which is fairly similar to what I've found. Although we're on a Prestashop forum because that's the cart system we're using, it seems that really it's a PayPal problem.

I say this because we've now got several different people with similar stories, and I'm sure they won't all be with the same host. Therefore, it's PayPal who seemingly are being difficult here.

I would suggest that anybody having this problem contact PayPal through the link (http://www.paypal.com/mts) I've posted.

Hello symanski, thank you for this valuable information. When you say "similar stories" do you mean receiving the PayPal Error with no error code?

Yes, just as I posted above.

One of the clues that it's being blocked is the lack of error information from PayPal. If it had indeed made contact and produced an error the response from PayPal would have included an error code. With no code it's more likely that there was no contact. Hence the first test I did after copying the website to my own PC hosted server (VMware running Ubuntu with LAMPP) was to go through the shopping check out but without a connection to the wider web. And I got the exact same error as posted above. This gives you a high degree of confidence that you're on the right track. That being blocked access.

Next stage has been to prove this. And that's been to create a PHP script which then tests a bunch of IP addresses which should have access to PayPal. I found a bunch that I could get from my local machine, but the internet host couldn't. I went to my internet host asking them to clear these, but they've also been doing their own investigative work and figured it's PayPal who are blocking. I should add that my internet host (for over 12 years now) said they allow PayPal to pass through their network, but I thought perhaps PayPal had updated system which my host hadn't accounted for. Hence why I was incorrectly targeting them (sorry!).

I've also seen it reported in a few other places how PayPal has without warning stopped working. This isn't for a new site, or one that's being updated, but for one in active use. It seems not isolated to Prestashop either, which was also part of the diagnosis. So between all the threads of information we now have it's very much pointing to a PayPal problem where they're for reasons unknown blocking access.

I can assure you that in the last week I've done just about everything that I possibly can do to diagnose and correct this fault! From test hosting the site locally, to upgrading to V 1.5 of Prestashop (a disaster, which thankfully I was able to delete), to calling in favours. Next week I'd like to do some of the work I was supposed to be working...

Yep, nothings changed, same issue, same error. All pointing at Paypal now i think.

I'd gone through the same. When you've got two identical sites (other than the settings you need to change to make it local, which shouldn't have any impact) and one works and the other doesn't helps you determine that the Prestashop system is working!

One of the first things I did was to upgrade everything that I could to see if something has become out of date. Putting V 1.5 on top of V 1.4.8.3 wasn't such a good idea as much of the site got broken. One-Click update failed, and the manual update seemed to go fine but the resulting site was a mess. Plus it screwed up the database so much that swapping the old site back in wouldn't work either. So I had to recover that from a back up too.

Forgive me if I'm not fully converse in Prestashop and database management as I'm more of an electronics engineer than web designer.

I'd gone through the same. When you've got two identical sites (other than the settings you need to change to make it local, which shouldn't have any impact) and one works and the other doesn't helps you determine that the Prestashop system is working!

One of the first things I did was to upgrade everything that I could to see if something has become out of date. Putting V 1.5 on top of V 1.4.8.3 wasn't such a good idea as much of the site got broken. One-Click update failed, and the manual update seemed to go fine but the resulting site was a mess. Plus it screwed up the database so much that swapping the old site back in wouldn't work either. So I had to recover that from a back up too.

Forgive me if I'm not fully converse in Prestashop and database management as I'm more of an electronics engineer than web designer.

Yeah Ive heard some horror stories with one click upgrades to be honest, also just upgrades to v1.5 Always good to take a back up ;)

No need to apologise, its great that you get involved in the community, its where a great deal of knowledge is gained :)

I've logged a "complaint" with Paypal so i will see where that leads. If i get any feedback i will let you know.

• Like 1

No one came to any solution?

I also wrote to PayPal and while no response.

My hosts have written to them, and I've written to them yesterday too. As yet no reply.

This is after firstly contacting the regular service via email twice. Then phoning them. Before benig told to ask the MTS Technical Team. It's a bit of a run-around PayPal have been giving me!

Hi, I am having the same issue. Can I ask who your hosting provider is?

I've sent you a memo as I don't think it's fair to say who it is publicly as it doesn't seem to be their fault. I asked another person who's having similar trouble and they're on a completely different provider too. And I've tried to see if I could use one of the free hosting services but they're blocked too.

It all points to PayPal especially when I've had it hosted on two different local machines via different ISP and different systems but both are able to connect to PayPal.

I've not had any reply from the MTS team at PayPal. I raised a complaint with PayPal today and got a useless reply later asking for the details (AGAIN!) which were already in the original complaint I raised. Getting the run-around with PayPal and I'm not in the slightest bit impressed. I'll be taking this higher with the FSA next.

Thanks for your PM. Fair point about not naming and shaming, especially if it's not the hosting providers fault. When did you guys notice this fault?

Started on the 27th September. Wrote to PayPal on the 1st Oct asking if there was a problem, they said there wasn't. Wrote again on the 8th and their reply was fairly useless. My host was then able to determine it was PayPal who were doing the blocking so I phoned PayPal on the 9th and was told to contact the MTS team. No reply. Today I used the PayPal site to complain about their service and how I'd no reply from them, and got another useless reply asking what the problem was (which was detailed in the complaint). So I'm stuck as to what I should do next to be able to once again take payments!

Two weeks - no income. We are as business people being left out to dry.

Hello symanski, does this occur with the PayPal latest module of 2.8?

One of the bit of work we did was to update everything that we could to see if that was the problem. We're running 3.2.1, as that was the latest version as of last week. However, the key point is that we can host locally and it works, it's just on our internet host does it not.

I stress - PayPal is blocking my host's severs from accessing them. From all the tests I've done I was able to determine that it was a block between my host and PayPal, and having taken that to my host they were able to further diagnose this as being PayPal.

Further, I've been in contact with others who are on different hosts who have similar problems. PayPal are for reason unknown blocking access from various hosts. It leaves you with no confidence in changing to different hosts will solve this (already tried). And worse, they're not saying to their customers why or how we can reinstate our payment method.

PayPal is putting us out of business!

Hey, does anyone know what Paypal host the Paypal module tries to connect to in a live set up, not sandbox. I've searched the code for the module but cant find anything?

If you look at the addresses I previously put up earlier in this post it seems that it requires access to them. But specifically it tries to contact api-3t.paypal.com

Hi, thanks, I thought that was for the Sandbox server but I might be wrong. ANYWAYS, have had a response from Paypal technical :o ....yes I have...I know, I couldnt believe it either! Basically, this is what they have said to me

"Thank you for contacting PayPal Merchant Technical Services.

I have visited your website and I can see that your integration is not re-directing customer to PayPal, it is stopping them from submitting payment request to PayPal site. I recommend you to contact your cart provider or your developer.

The issue is basically that your integration is not making the redirection from the following URL to the PayPal checkout page.

http://www.yourdomain.co.uk/modules/paypal/express_checkout/submit.php "

So any feedback on that Prestashoppers

The issue is basically that your integration is not making the redirection from the following URL to the PayPal checkout page.

BS. I've taken a copy of my site and hosted it on my own local machine, two of them in fact. It works on both of them. And we even tried a back up server from one of the free sites, but that didn't work. What this proves is that the integration is working, because if it wasn't then it would give the same error on the locally hosted versions. But that there is a block between these hosting companies and PayPal.

Remember, this was a fully working site that then stopped for no apparent reason. We'd made no changed to it, it just stopped working.

As I've said, my main hosting company, one of the most trusted in the UK, have investigated this for me and discovered it's a PayPal fault. It's PayPal who are blocking access. MTS aren't responding to my questions.

• Like 1

BS. I've taken a copy of my site and hosted it on my own local machine, two of them in fact. It works on both of them. And we even tried a back up server from one of the free sites, but that didn't work. What this proves is that the integration is working, because if it wasn't then it would give the same error on the locally hosted versions. But that there is a block between these hosting companies and PayPal.

Remember, this was a fully working site that then stopped for no apparent reason. We'd made no changed to it, it just stopped working.

As I've said, my main hosting company, one of the most trusted in the UK, have investigated this for me and discovered it's a PayPal fault. It's PayPal who are blocking access. MTS aren't responding to my questions.

I'm glad you said that, as I had sent a very "nice" response to Paypal after receiving the BS reply ;) But then I second guessed myself and thought I'd get a second opinion :)

Anyway, I am now awaiting a response (if they ever talk to me again) so I will keep you all posted as soon as i know. Oh and you know how i think i got a response from their Tech services? I voiced my unhappiness on Twitter. Something I have never done before, but seems to have struck a nerve somewhere.

• Like 1

Success, but it may not be for everyone....

OK, after a lengthy discussion with my hosts and various tests by myself and great support by them, they too agreed that it is Paypal blocking the server. Paypal STILL deny this and blame the site scripts yadda yadda yadda.

Anyways, long story short, migrated site to a new server, which was tested to be communicating with api-3t.paypal.com (thanks symanski) before the switch and hey presto, works like a dream now.

Now, I believe any host worth anything should be able to do this for you too, as long as you can supply them with the Paypal server (api-3t.paypal.com) that the site is trying to communicate with then they should do it. Because this is a manual operation, they wont do it unless YOU give them the info. Also, ensure that nothing in the site is referenced to an IP address otherwise it will go a bit wobbly.

Hope this helps for some people if not everyone. My hosts have also logged a complaint so surely they will be forced to do something, but I wouldnt bother contacting their "support" team, I think they are contract bound to blame everything but Paypal.

• Like 1

Success, but it may not be for everyone....

Hope this helps for some people if not everyone. My hosts have also logged a complaint so surely they will be forced to do something, but I wouldnt bother contacting their "support" team, I think they are contract bound to blame everything but Paypal.

It's something that I've been considering asking my host to do for a couple of days and I'll be asking on Monday if my host can change the IP address that my site is on. Thanks for add to the proof that it's not our sites but PayPal! The risk, however, is that because PayPal have blocked some servers from your host they could easily block others without warning. And you'd be in no better position.

I didn't think it would take this long to sort out a problem with PayPal.

I am also very concerned that PayPal have done nothing to help us. MTS have not replied to me at all - perhaps because I put it simply in black and white it's them who are blocking my host. So today I've sent a message to the FSA asking for some help in getting a straight answer. Yes, it's that serious.

Hello digitalcrate, thank you for this detailed information. The question is, why is paypal blocking communication with some hosts? That is what it seems like since you switched hosts and it worked. Interesting

That is the question indeed???? The trouble is, I cant even get Paypal to admit that it is there issue :(

I didnt switch host, merely switched the box the site was sat on. Migrated to a new server from the same host, fixed it immediately

• Like 1

I have the same problem and am desperate, I was searching and found this: https://www.x.com/co...pal-apis-oct-12 I wait let's be able find the solution to this mistake, I will continue searching if I find something I comment on it.

A greeting http://www.koonsun.com.mx

The difference between this type of error reported is that the one in the x.com site comes back with an error message. That is it has been able to make connection with the PayPal servers. The problem we're having is that there's no error message, and as we now know it's because PayPal have decided to block certain host addresses.

Unfortunately PayPal are not being forthcoming with why they're blocking. Nor doing anything to help business people to get back trading. They are costing me money!

• Like 1

Hi, so the only solution here is to change the server ip?

PayPal are blocking access from your IP address. You either get PayPal to unblock it, or move to a different IP address and hope they don't then block that one too. Since PayPal's MTS department, who seem to be responsibile for such matters, are being very unresponsive then you've got little choice but to move IP adresses.

I've now messaged MTS twice, in addition to my internet host doing so too. Neither of us have had a response. The standard customer help from PayPal, who I've contacted many times now, have been very unhelpful. Friendly, but unhelpful.

I've always said that you find out how good customer service is when something goes wrong; not when you're making a purchase. And on that test PayPal have completely dropped the ball. Their customer service stinks. Standard first-contact customer service is a waste of your time as they're unable to help because they simply don't have the abilities, but worse they can't pass this to someone who could. So you're then left trying to deal with MTS directly and they're simply not replying. That's rude and ignorant.

I still have the same problem.

Sayitonsticks, which prestashop version and wich paypal module version do you have?

If you're having the problem exactly as described in the orignal post then it won't matter which version of Prestashop or the PayPal module. I've tried a couple of options on that already when I was thinking it must be my site (it wasn't).

It's PayPal blocking access from your host. As simple as that. Now the difficult part is getting PayPal to respond, and even lift those blocks.

Paypal had respond:

They redirected me to this thread and they said is prestashop related problem.

http://www.prestasho...php-blank-page/

If you're getting the same error as I got (which is none - just the Prestashop container - see the first post on this thread) then it's because of the API access being blocked from your site. My internet host confimed this. My own tests show that the Prestashop cart is working when hosted elsewhere. It all points to PayPal blocking. Read through this thread and you'll see how another person got his site move to a clear IP address and it work. If it was anything else then it still wouldn't have worked!

PayPal are blocking your access.

Hello Status Publicidad y Market,

The forum post that PayPal responded with is not the same error, that thread is unrelated and over a year old. If you are receiving the same error that other members in this thread are having then that forum post will not help you. Have you tried asking your hosting provider to move your site to a different server IP. We are doing our best to have this situation resolved with PayPal on our end as well.

• Like 1

I have solutionated the error.

I have the same error that the creator of the post.

I have prestashop v 1.4 and i had paypal v2.6

1- Install the last version of the module paypal:

http://addons.presta...748-paypal.html

2- Install the backward compability module:

http://addons.presta...patibility.html

3- Go to modules/other modules/backward compability/ configuration

4- You will see the list of modules you need to update, i had only paypal module.

5- You click update modules and wait untill the module get updated.

6- Configure Paypal and lets sell

Edited by Status Publicidad y Market (see edit history)

I have solutionated the error.

I have the same error that the creator of the post.

I have prestashop v 1.4 and i had paypal v2.6

With respect I think you've had a different error. I can say that because I've gone through similar trying to overcome the problem.

Today the my website seems to be able to contact PayPal. This after PayPal MTS finally replied to my message (Sent 9th Oct, replied 16th, problem first detect 27th Sept.) I believe they've probably acted upon the message sent by my internet host, as they'd I'd imagine have given them better instructions. The reply MTS sent to me was asking me for more information and tests which can only be run on the server that I am unable to do.

However, there still seems to be a problem with PayPal blocking IP Addresses. :blink:

My site now seems to be able to communicate with PayPal again. The blocks have been lifted, thankfully. But PayPal have cost me over two weeks worth of sales and have shown a dreadful level of customer service. Not only was the first level of customer service incompetent but the MTS was dreadfully slow in replying to me and my internet host's request for help. I wish there was an alternative to PayPal.

I'd like to thank everybody here for their input. And especially my internet host who've done a superb job in firstly confirming it was PayPal and then getting PayPal to remove the blocks.

• Like 1

I just wanted to contribute to the topic, as we have experienced exactly the same ip block issue from Paypal.

It was pretty frustrating - absolutely NO response from their support.

The issue was, as others have reported - our server could not connect to "https://api-3t.paypal.com" which was causing our prestashop not to be able to complete Paypal payments.

We had to move the site to another server/ip so it could function. When we did this, everything was fine.

Now, because I was checking this thread from time to time, I saw that you guys where reporting that ban was lifted form some of you. I decided to check what was going on our previous IP/server. What I have found out is that it was already OK for it too...

So ban was lifted... Server can connect to Paypal servers... That is good in a way... right ...

What I don't like is that we have absolutely no idea why this happened and could it happen again?!

Could it happen on our new server... should be switch back to our previous hosting...

Absolutely no explanation from Paypal is not nice...

_________

PS Just wanted to add that I have also involved my hosting provider to check how can we resolve this issue. They have told me that they were going to "talk to Paypal" to locate the problem as they have independently, on they own, confirmed that this was the reason causing the problem. I don't know if it was because of them Paypal fixed it ...

Edited by petzo (see edit history)

Absolutely no explanation from Paypal is not nice...

No, it's not. You think because there's an error it's your site. And the first replies you get from PayPal is that there's no change to your account. It's only because I'm an engineer with a bit of knowledge that I was able to figure that there was a block between my host and PayPal, but it was my internet host who were able to determine it was because of PayPal and not them. The amount of work I put in to get to this point was significant.

If you were a regular shop owner, or even just a website developer deploying Prestashop to customers, you'd be completely in the dark on why the site suddenly and without warning stopped.

Perhaps this is a thread which should become a "sticky" for anybody else who similarly become blocked? It's rather good that not only have we identified where the problem is, but we also have the solutions presented too.

• Like 1

I have joined this forum after googling exactly the same problem. Two days ago, PayPal suddenly blocked access from my server IP address, with no warning or explanation. I have made no changes to my site in months. A simple curl command to https://api-3t.paypal.com/nvp from a shell fails with a 'couldn't connect to host' and all API requests timeout.

Like the rest of you, I found first and second-line support to be fairly useless. I have now sent an email to the MTS team, after finding they exist, but am not particularly hopeful of a speedy resolution.

I think I am going to hit twitter with this is well and try and shame them into some action.

Hi everyone.

Just to inform you that Paypal have now accepted (after a week of furious emails containing proof of the issue) that they do have a problem. I would now urge those still effected by this issue to contact Paypal support (this link is very kindly offered earlier on in this post) and inform them of the domain with the issue. Any other information they require you should be able to get from your host easily, ie server ip and so on, as they now tell me they are fixing issues and unblocking incorrectly blocked sites.

I hope they manage to deal with other peoples issues a lot quicker than they delay with mine. Thank you everybody for your input, advise and expertise.

Paypal have now accepted (after a week of furious emails containing proof of the issue) that they do have a problem. I would now urge those still effected by this issue to contact Paypal support (this link is very kindly offered earlier on in this post) and inform them of the domain with the issue.

Well done getting a reply from them! I think that's the final confirmation that the problem is on their side.

It's bad enough that they've blocked your site for no apparent reason, but being so slow at reponding is a nightmare. If there was an alternative payment menthod which had similar charges to PayPal (ie no monthly fee) I'd be using them by now.

I've just received this from the MTS team:

We do not block IPs, especially hosters domains, I guess that must have been a network configuration issue or some isolated bug on a router.

Given how many of us that it's affected it's not "isolated", and that's only of those of us who posted here. I'm sure there's a lot of others still scratching their head wondering why their site isn't working!

Here is the final response I got from PayPal...

"This was not a PayPal issue. We have received several reports from European merchants reporting intermittent connectivity issues to our API endpoints. After investigation by our engineering teams, we were able to narrow this down to a bad hop on the (public Internet) route to our API endpoints.

Specifically, three hops were dropping packets. As a result the connection was never established and you may have received a TCP network timeout.

We are currently following up with the third-party providers of these routes. If it works again for you at this time, your own network provider may have decided to use a different route to reach our API endpoints."

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add the response I've got from Paypal, after finally getting to contact them and asking what was the problem:

"I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration that this issue has caused you. The issue was found in one of PayPal's servers and was tracked under restore ticket number RESTR16428699

Unfortunately that is the only information I can release on this internal issue with our PayPal servers."

So it seems that they have tracked down the issue. I find that satisfying to know.

• Like 1

"I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration that this issue has caused you. The issue was found in one of PayPal's servers and was tracked under restore ticket number RESTR16428699

Unfortunately that is the only information I can release on this internal issue with our PayPal servers."

Finally we seem to have got somewhere! Thanks everybody for contributing to finding where the problem was.

First of all, big hello to fellow forum members, this is my first message. I was gonna open up a new thread but after searching the forum, found this thread and I will added up in here...

I have the same error with no error code using Prestashop v1.5.2 with PayPal v. 3.2.5

>Your shopping cart>PayPal

Error occurred:

Please refer to logs:

PayPal response:

->

« Back

After reading this thread, I tried it almost all. PayPal hasn't blocked my Domain or IP. They confirmed this via the email so I went out and tried installing another webshop(not Prestashop) subdomain within the same domain. It worked just fine. What I also done is that I installed another webshop with Prestashop 1.3.3 and tried PayPal on the same domain. It worked like charmed as well.

I think it is something in the module not working properly.

I am open for any suggestions or help that I can get.

Thank you

Edited by yapay01 (see edit history)

Same problem.. The connection to the Paypal site does not go through..

http://zialucia.ch/shop/modules/paypal/express_checkout/submit.php

I get no error, just a blank page..

There most certainly seems to be some bug with the newest module..

Soemone seemd to have reverted to the module provided with the first 1.5 version of PS and it worked for them..

Is there any one who found a solution yet? PayPal is pretty sure that the module is not working properly... Please help someone! Thanks...

You've got to understand that our experience is that our site was working, then it wasn't. And then it was again! But we were able to determine that there was a block at the PayPal side. Hosting locally we could get out (same site - but my own iSP rather than my host). We also tried a freebie host service and it was blocked, but later it was also unblocked. Again, no changes to configuration.

So try locally hosting the site, try also hosting here http://www.000webhost.com (or somewhere similar).

You've got to understand that our experience is that our site was working, then it wasn't. And then it was again! But we were able to determine that there was a block at the PayPal side. Hosting locally we could get out (same site - but my own iSP rather than my host). We also tried a freebie host service and it was blocked, but later it was also unblocked. Again, no changes to configuration.

So try locally hosting the site, try also hosting here http://www.000webhost.com (or somewhere similar).

Thank you for your response Symanski, also thank you for your suggestion. I have done that as well but still, it is not working and giving the same error :(

Thank you for your response Symanski, also thank you for your suggestion. I have done that as well but still, it is not working and giving the same error :(

I've just checked our back-up site that we created during our outage. It's still working (it was blocked but cleared without us doing anything to change the original site). It's really because we never changed the site before it went off, or afterwards when these started working again that we know our site was configured ok.

The other extra test I did for the whole site was to use a VMWare copy of Ubuntu and installed XAMPP to act as a webhost. Then hosted my own copy of the site that way. It was then able to communicate with PayPal; confirming that the site was ok.

I did run scripts to test for commuication with PayPal and did find different results between locally hosting and remotely hosting these scripts. It effectively confirmed that some of PayPal's servers were unreachable by my host.

If you're still concerned that it's a Prestashop configuration error then I'd suggest trying a pre-1.5 version. I see that others have had problems with 1.5, so perhaps there's something else with it that's causing issues. (My attempt to upgrade to 1.5 was a disaster - the result was a mess of a website).

Hey symanski, Benjamin, and others. I feel the same way about this. I have already spent over 100 hours on this project trying to get the store running. I got the error with no description today from the Sandbox which I am using to test the shopping cart. This time, I think it is related to paypal blocking the IP from a specific country. As my client/boss is in south america and I am testing in Canada. The transaction takes place in Canada in the sandbox and in paypal but only in US currency but not in south america where my client wants to see his items. If we cannot resolve this we may dump paypal altogether and go with another provider. It is wasting time and stealing opportunity. As you can imaging, the client is upset to put it gently.

hello symanski, thank you for the detailed information. This is already something I have reported back to my team, and this is something of great importance. I will continue to do my best in my power to solve this. Thank you again!

-Benjamin

Trust me, there isn't any issue with PayPal blocking the domain or IP. I just downgrade the PrestaShop and used different module. It works fine. I am not getting any answers from PrestaShop or the developer of the PayPal module... But PayPal has mailed me many times though...

Downgrade; that was the solution for me... So, I gave up!

Edited by yapay01 (see edit history)

Trust me, there isn't any issue with PayPal blocking the domain or IP. I just downgrade the PrestaShop and used different module. It works fine. I am not getting any answers from PrestaShop or the developer of the PayPal module... But PayPal has mailed me many times though...

Downgrade; that was the solution for me... So, I gave up!

It may be that you've found another cause of the same error. I'm in no way an expert, but do present what I've discovered to help others either confirm this as their problem, or in your case help you eliminate it.

What I can say is that I had a working website, then it stopped. Hosting it on my own computer it worked (same site, different location). Then after a few weeks of torture for me the original site started working again. No changes from me!

It says that everything that I was doing on my side was working. However, when it came to talking with PayPal it wasn't. I'd also ran scripts on my host and my local computer and found that some parts of PayPal weren't accessable from my host, but were on my locally hosted version. Again, pointing to blocks.

It would be interesting to know the difference in the two modules that you've tried.

Hi has anyone got to the bottom of this?

What is with the complete silence from module dev and prestashop?

I have 4 orders in my BO which state "PAYMENT ERROR".

The customer said that on the third attempt, the order went through. He said:

"It was saying "Payment Error" after checking out. I just tried a few more times and it looks like the payment went through."

I have had no mails from the module.

Also - any payments which do go through are appearing as "PAYMENT REMOTELY ACCEPTED" and when you click into the order, there are no details of the payment and no option to refund.

Thanks in advance all

Hi has anyone got to the bottom of this?

What is with the complete silence from module dev and prestashop?

I have 4 orders in my BO which state "PAYMENT ERROR".

The customer said that on the third attempt, the order went through. He said:

"It was saying "Payment Error" after checking out. I just tried a few more times and it looks like the payment went through."

I have had no mails from the module.

Also - any payments which do go through are appearing as "PAYMENT REMOTELY ACCEPTED" and when you click into the order, there are no details of the payment and no option to refund.

Thanks in advance all

I have the same problem,,, asked my host to change IP but still unsure if that will fix it,,,, Losing customers so has to be a fix somewhere

I have the same problem,,, asked my host to change IP but still unsure if that will fix it,,,, Losing customers so has to be a fix somewhere

If your customer is able to get to PayPal then it's a different problem from the one described in this thread. With the problem here it's when your website is handing over to PayPal. That's when you notice an error. At this stage the Prestashop system doesn't create a record of any order, although customer details are stored elsewhere.

So if the customer is able see PayPal when checking out then it's a different problem. If not, and they only see a few lines with

Error occurred:

Please refer to logs:

• PayPal response:

• ->

with no redirection to PayPal it's because access has been blocked.

Therefore I think you may have a different problem to the one I've suffered from. Although trying what has been described here of hosting in a different location, or on a local machine, is certainly worthwhile to rule out any other issues.

Hi I have just got another "PAYMENT ERROR".

No mail from PayPal module, mail from customer and this is the mail he received from my store:

"There is a problem with your payment for order #1085. Please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Your order will not be shipped until we have resolved this problem."

On my BO there is "PAYMENT ERROR" but no other details. The customer is in Japan and I am in the U.K

Prestashop team can someone *please* give us an update on this.

Google checkout does not work with 1.5 and so as it stands I cannot accept any payment at all.

If your customer is able to get to PayPal then it's a different problem from the one described in this thread. With the problem here it's when your website is handing over to PayPal. That's when you notice an error. At this stage the Prestashop system doesn't create a record of any order, although customer details are stored elsewhere.

So if the customer is able see PayPal when checking out then it's a different problem. If not, and they only see a few lines with

Error occurred:

Please refer to logs:

• PayPal response:
  • ->

with no redirection to PayPal it's because access has been blocked.

Therefore I think you may have a different problem to the one I've suffered from. Although trying what has been described here of hosting in a different location, or on a local machine, is certainly worthwhile to rule out any other issues.

Now I'm confused as the error shown here is exactly the same as the one my customers get and I get to my admin inbox.

This issue is so complexed,,,,,,,,,

Another order with "PAYMENT ERROR"

email from shop tells me there is a new order. "PAYMENT ERROR" next to the order on the BO

No mail from the PayPal module. Customer wants to know what is going on and thinks the payment has gone through.

Any chance of someone from PS or PayPal module helping out here?

Edited by steve_c (see edit history)

I have found something VERY alarming.

Any orders that fail with "PAYMENT ERROR": the qty of the items in that error are *increased* by 1.

Over the last few weeks I thought that I was putting in the wrong qty when I was entering new stock.

However, just by chance, I added a new product and 10 minutes later someone placed an order for it. Unfortunately and as per usual, the payment failed.

I then go into this order and find that the available qty for this product had increased by 1!

I have had to pay $399 to get help on this bug from PS so if I get an answer I will share it here and hopefully it might fix the bugs.

Any solution for this problem?

I still think it's parts of the communication between PayPal and your host that's being blocked. There's several addresses that the module seems to use, and I think these are being blocked. Or at the very least mis-routed.

I had scripts on my locally hosted website and also on my main website and ran the two of them. I then found that there were some IP addresses that my main site couldn't get to, but were fine locally. This effectively confirmed one of my beliefs that it was a problem with IP addresses getting blocked.

I'd use a site to get the IP addresses from the PayPal domain names. There were also lists provided by PayPal of ranges that they'd use. Perhaps if those who wrote the module could give us details of the domains within PayPal that they contact a test script could be created to test the IP addresses that they resolve to?

Same here.

Started yesterday. This is killing me. Tonight I will move the sites over to another host of mine.

Upgrading the PayPal module has done nothing.

To summerise: PayPal now use dynamic DNS for their payment servers. They believe it's something to do with the coding of the site.

Here's what PayPal said:

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding your payment server.

I have reviewed your account Mr. X, and I believe your issue has occurred because the system has been updated and you should not be coding specific IPs into your integration any longer. Please reference the link below to your developers to resolve this issue by updating the integration of PayPal onto your website.

https://ppmts.custhe.../detail/a_id/92

For additional assistance in this matter please direct your queries to our Merchant Technical Support team who are best suited to help with integration issues such as this:

www.paypal.com/mts

Bottomline: Apparently it is Prestashop's fault.

Can any experts elaborate? Personally think it's PayPal blocking my host's IP, as it is working fine on my other host on a different domain.

Anyway, I'm down to the tune of £1000. Thanks. F'KSSAKE

Edited by RickieSee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

When I was trying to diagnose this I used a DNS look up service such as this:

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3aapi-3t.paypal.com

One each of the DNS names that PayPal were using. I've picked this one as I'm sure it was one which was identified as being the cause of the trouble. So I'm going to take my script and edit it so that it tests this range for you and past below.

Save the following in a text file and call it something like "ptest.php" and upload it to your sever. You can also put it on your local server too. In effect it's doing ping tests on the specific port for SSL (443) of each of the IP addresses identified in my DNS look up. The compare between them and it should (hopefully) tell you which IPs are blocked and which are not.

You can extend this scrip to test all the IP addresses, but your server will time out during the execution of them (it does take a while to run through). So you'll need them broken down in to manageble chunks. It's the ones which fail that takes the time!

PayPal asked me to do a traceroute but just as they asked everything seemed to clear up again and I was up and running. You'll need a different script to run on your server for traceroute, or if you have direct terminal access you may be able to do it from the console.

Sorry I can't help much more than this, it's as far as I personally got. It is very very frustrating when your site stops working, and what a time of year for it too....

<?php
// Script by Akensai
// PayPal test range by Symanski on Prestashop forum.
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//54 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
 echo "<font color='red'><strong> Offline!</strong></font>";
}
else
{
 echo "<font color='green'><strong> Online!</strong></font>";

fclose($socket);
}
//55 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//56 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}
//57 ******************************************************************
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{

fclose($socket);
}

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

?> 

Can any experts elaborate? Personally think it's PayPal blocking my host's IP, as it is working fine on my other host on a different domain.

This is the bit where you've got to wonder if it's a block or a Prestashop configuration. If it's a Prestashop configuration then moving to a different host would make no sense; the problem would remain. If it were a block then moving to a different host would be a way around that block (assuming that the alternative host isn't also blocked).

It's a fairly simple test. Does the exact same site, downloaded from your host, and reconfigured to work in it's new location (Prestashop needs to know it's own domain) work as it should? If it does it's a block.

• Like 1

In a moment of crisis after staying up all night I shelled out £500 on a new subscription to VPS for a year. To find out it doesnt have a Cpanel. F**K! Gonna be an awful chrimbo at this rate. :(

Thanks symanski - I will update this thread in the early hours of this morning. I cannot thank you enough for your efforts and for posting. I will try all you've said.

I have prestashop running on another server - and it still works. The two sites that are on a shared host - don't work. PayPal believe it to be prestashop.

Mega crisis being the busiest week of the year for me (and others I imagine).

Edited by RickieSee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have prestashop running on another server - and it still works. The two sites that are on a shared host - don't work. PayPal believe it to be prestashop.

Mega crisis being the busiest week of the year for me (and others I imagine).

I find it hard to believe it's a Prestashop problem if you've got the sites working on another server; assuming that you've just done a copy from your shared host to this server as I did with mine at the time.

And yes, it's the worst time of the year, but I couldn't find a time when I'd like PayPal to screw up this badly either. The biggest problem is that for the type of PayPal system they run there is no alternative. Banks are still too greedy with their merchant services.

BTW, I once got a call from a professional web developer who was wanting to purchase one of my products. He started rubbishing my site because I was using PayPal. I then started talking him through the costs of merchant services, asking him how much to set up an account, how much per month etc. And each time telling him how much PayPal was by comparison. In the end he told me he was going to start moving some of his Clients, and future ones, on to PayPal.

I find it hard to believe it's a Prestashop problem if you've got the sites working on another server; assuming that you've just done a copy from your shared host to this server as I did with mine at the time.

And yes, it's the worst time of the year, but I couldn't find a time when I'd like PayPal to screw up this badly either. The biggest problem is that for the type of PayPal system they run there is no alternative. Banks are still too greedy with their merchant services.

BTW, I once got a call from a professional web developer who was wanting to purchase one of my products. He started rubbishing my site because I was using PayPal. I then started talking him through the costs of merchant services, asking him how much to set up an account, how much per month etc. And each time telling him how much PayPal was by comparison. In the end he told me he was going to start moving some of his Clients, and future ones, on to PayPal.

Yes I definitley agree. PayPal is by far the most convenient. It's amazingly convenient when working and so little hassle. I know what you mean with merchant services, there's all sorts of checks, costs and things involved. No good at all if you operate several stores - they'd charge you the same for every domain.

The sites I have running on another IP are similiar sites, using similiar versions of prestashop. No problemo. The bad thing is these are my oldest (hence why on shared) and most profitable sites.

This is a big slap in the face and a wake up call. Need to be more prepared in the future. Will update as I make progress.

After a long delay, I get this error running that code:

Server Error 500

Premature end of script headers: ptest.php

Any ideas?

When I run my full script here's what I get:

Start of api.paypal.com test range

173.0.84.66 Online!

173.0.88.66 Online!

173.0.84.98 Online!

173.0.88.98 Online!

End of api.paypal.com test range

Start of api-aa.paypal.com test range

173.0.84.67 Online!

173.0.88.67 Online!

173.0.84.99 Online!

173.0.88.99 Online!

End of api-aa.paypal.com test range

Start of api-3t.paypal.com test range

173.0.84.69 Online!

173.0.88.69 Online!

173.0.84.101 Online!

173.0.88.101 Online!

End of api-3t.paypal.com test range

Start of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range

173.0.84.68 Online!

173.0.88.68 Online!

173.0.84.100 Online!

173.0.88.100 Online!

End of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range

Start of notify.paypal.com test range

173.0.81.1 Offline!

173.0.81.33 Offline!

End of notify.paypal.com test range

Start of clientalerts.paypal.com test range

66.211.160.14 Offline!

66.135.211.28 Online!

End of clientalerts.paypal.com test range

And the full script:

<?php
// Script by Akensai
// PayPal testing for Prestashop Forums by Symanski
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.66 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.66", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.66 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.66", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.98 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.98", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.98 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.98", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************
//************************************************************************
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-aa.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.67 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.67", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.67 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.67", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.99 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.99", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.99 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.99", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-aa.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.69 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.69", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.101 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.101", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.68 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.68", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.68 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.68", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.84.100 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.84.100", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.88.100 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.88.100", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of api-aa-3t.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of notify.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

echo "<p> </p> 173.0.81.1 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.81.1", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 173.0.81.33 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("173.0.81.33", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of notify.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************

//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> Start of clientalerts.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> 66.211.160.14 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("166.211.160.14", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
echo "<p> </p> 66.135.211.28 ";
if (!$socket = @fsockopen("66.135.211.28", 443, $errno, $errstr, 30))
{
}
else
{
 fclose($socket);
}
//****************
//****************
echo "<p> </p> End of clientalerts.paypal.com test range <p> </p> ";
//****************
//****************
?> 

This is a big slap in the face and a wake up call. Need to be more prepared in the future. Will update as I make progress.

I don't think that you can prepare for this. There's something that's outside of your control, and you'd hope that you've paid enough for technical support with your hosts that it would be catered for.

Essentially everything that you've done on your side is working, it's when you then hand over to PayPal that the problem happens.

I did not understand a word of that lol,,, can you say it again in lay-mans terms

Ok, I'll start from the beginning. First there was the dinosaurs, but they died out.

In the background, that you nor you customer see, is that details from their transaction is passed from your site to PayPal. And like how your site has an address so does PayPal, but because this is a background operation the addresses aren't the same as the log in to PayPal. It's all in the background.

What these scripts do is test that background communication link, looking for routes that are being blocked. To use this script you put it as a text file (pingtext) on to your server, with the extension php. So you could browse to it such as www.your-website.com/pingtest.php It will then run through each of the tests and then you can compare with the results that I've posted above of my site (which is working).

If you're not sure of what you're doing then ask someone who you know that's in a position to help you run this script.

dinosaurs, wow lol,,, I understand now and have run a ping test script before which i guess is much the same. I have only had probs since switching hosts,,, I'm guessing that what I should try again,,, thank god i'm not on a years contract,,,,,, may monthly as its a fair to new business.

Sorry, couldn't resist a little joke taken from Airplane. Superb film.

The script is a ping test, from what I understand of PHP there isn't a direct ping but this will do the same job. It's fairly repetitive because there's also many IP addresses to check. Typing all these in at a ping command would be a bore! However, the base script is one that I found on the internet for doing ping tests under PHP and I've simply extended it to a range of IP addresses used by PayPal as reported by the Who Is tests. Who Is doing the conversion from the domain name (as in human language) to IP (machine language).

When I did these scripts on my host, and the same on my locally hosted copy of the website, I was then able to make comparisons. And from that I was able to show that there was a blockage. I did this thinking it was from my internet host, after all you do look to yourself and what's close to you for fault. As it turned out it wasn't my host. PayPal never gave me an explanation as to where the blockage was, but all I really cared about was that my site started working again.

I also had a backup site hosted on one of the free servers. My brother set this up as a test (he also hosted locally on his machine under Windows, I had mine on VMWare running Ubuntu). Locally hosted both worked, but even the backup site didn't work. But when my own main site started working so did the back up site. Neither of them had any changes to their configuration from us to make them work simply because we'd run out of ideas: we knew it wasn't the site.