Defining Carton box weight for each item

patuga

Hi Everyone,

I bet i'm not the only one having problem with shipping costs, and having to pay extra from my own pocket every now and then. I've been thinking of ways to eliminate this situation but i could never solve it completely.

I'd like to know if it's possible to individually specify a carton weight for every item in the shop.

Lets say, for example, that i have a weight range from 0 - 0.5Kg and i have an article that weights 200grm. and the carton weights 350. the weight for just one item would go over the 0.5KG limit, but i can't change the weight of that single item to 0.55KG because then 3 items would be 1.65KG, but in reality they would only weight 0.95KG.

I also thought of seeing how many pieces i could fit in a carton up to 1KG and dividing the total weight, including the carton, by the number of items in the carton. but it would only work for multiple item orders. On a single item order the difference would still exist.

So the idea would be to have a field on the product page that would allow me to specify the weight of the carton needed to ship that item in.

So if i get an order for 1 item with 200grm and the box for that item weights 350grm, the site would automatically, show the shipping cost range from 0.5 to 1.0KG.

Or even if i get an order of two items (200 + 150 for example) the site would show me the total weight as 200+150 + the weight of the heaviest carton needed to ship both items, instead of adding the carton weight of each item.

i hope you guys can understand what i'm asking for. if this exists, even if it's a paid module, let me know. i don't mind paying for that, because this situation is driving me bankrupt :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 26/9/2012 at 6:19 PM, patuga dice:

Hi Everyone,

I bet i'm not the only one having problem with shipping costs, and having to pay extra from my own pocket every now and then. I've been thinking of ways to eliminate this situation but i could never solve it completely.

I'd like to know if it's possible to individually specify a carton weight for every item in the shop.

Lets say, for example, that i have a weight range from 0 - 0.5Kg and i have an article that weights 200grm. and the carton weights 350. the weight for just one item would go over the 0.5KG limit, but i can't change the weight of that single item to 0.55KG because then 3 items would be 1.65KG, but in reality they would only weight 0.95KG.

I also thought of seeing how many pieces i could fit in a carton up to 1KG and dividing the total weight, including the carton, by the number of items in the carton. but it would only work for multiple item orders. On a single item order the difference would still exist.

So the idea would be to have a field on the product page that would allow me to specify the weight of the carton needed to ship that item in.

So if i get an order for 1 item with 200grm and the box for that item weights 350grm, the site would automatically, show the shipping cost range from 0.5 to 1.0KG.

Or even if i get an order of two items (200 + 150 for example) the site would show me the total weight as 200+150 + the weight of the heaviest carton needed to ship both items, instead of adding the carton weight of each item.

i hope you guys can understand what i'm asking for. if this exists, even if it's a paid module, let me know. i don't mind paying for that, because this situation is driving me bankrupt :P

same problem :(

what i've done is to deduct the carton weight from the range. So for a range 0-1KG, if the carton weighs 0.3KG, i define the range 0-0.7KG this way i can get it to work.

For volumetric weight i create several carriers that i call "Carton 15", "Carton 25" etc, and define the minimum range for those carriers the volumetric weight they have. since they are carriers i can select which ones i allow to use for any specific item.

so if i have an item with a volumetric weight of 1,5 but only a physical of 500grm. i define the item to allow shipping on carton 15 (1,5KG volumetric weight) and all items shipped together up to 1,5KG will cost the same to ship. it's a work-arround but it works. it's only confusing for the customer because he will see a lot of carriers during checkout

Edited by patuga (see edit history)