Question

Following is the current available priorities for bug reports:

Blocker

Critical

Major

Minor

This, to me, represented on a line is like the following

Mi-----------------------------Ma--C--B

Some issues are neither minor, nor major, but something in between. What is the difference between Major and Critical? What is the difference between Critical and Blocker? This scale does not make sense at all unless the bug is either minor or blocker.

3 answers to this question

Hello,

I agree to the basic problem, but the issue is double:

- Too many priorities kill priorities: I prefer 4 simple priority levels than 5 or 6 or more.

- The priority level is really subjective and many users consider that if they cannot do something, then it must be a blocker.

Moreover, I prefer priorities named 1, 2, 3 and 4 more than names. Then it's really a matter of priority and not a matter of names.

Regards,

Moreover, I prefer priorities named 1, 2, 3 and 4 more than names. Then it's really a matter of priority and not a matter of names.

I do too but in this case you are in a unique position to see all bugs so no problem using levels like 1, 2 etc when classifying them. When I am reporting a bug I have a single sample and cannot decide if it is a 1 or 2 without looking other reported 1s and 2s and try to fit it into one of those categories. I agree there is not a perfect solution unless there is a formula to define levels. I still think though that the 'Critical' should be removed and another level inserted between Minor and Major, thus::

Blocker

Major

new level

Minor

with the corrosponding brief descriptions, examples given on how to report bugs docs. E.g.

Blocker: E.g. Customer is not able to complete checkout (reproducable at will). See now solved bugs PSC.... for further examples