Multi-shop with different domains

Hi guys, first of all, sorry for my mistakes writting in English, i'm not used to do it.

I'm trying to configure a multishop system with different domains.

First, let's describe what I want:

I want 2 shops:

www.shop1.com

www.shop2.com

and both of them use the same backoffice, prestashop 1.5 and share some categories and products.

Now I have a prestashop 1.5 installed on shop1 and it works. The problem comes when I want to make it work with shop2

I can configure it on the backoffice of www.shop1.com but... How does shop2 domain knows that it has to point to shop1?

Do I need to install another prestashop 1.5 on shop2?

Do I need to do a dns redirect from shop2 to shop1?

I don't know how to do this step.

Thanks for your future help! x)

Hi there,

I do not know what hosting control panel you are using so in doubt you should ask your hosting company how to setup the domains.

In ISP config which I use for example, you can setup a so called alias domain. The domains are pointng to the same webroot directory. The url rewriting is than done by prestashop it self.

Here is an example how it is done in my apache config

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName presta15
 ServerAlias presta15
 DocumentRoot "/var/www/1.5.x/"
 DirectoryIndex index.php

</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName presta16
 ServerAlias presta16
 DocumentRoot "/var/www/1.5.x/"
 DirectoryIndex index.php

</VirtualHost>

The domains presta15 and presta16 are both poiting to the same document root "/var/www/1.5.x/"

Best regards, trip

Ok, thanks!

So I can understand that the key is to redirect shop2 domain to shop1, then prestashop will handle it.

About the redirect is another way to do it? other than virtual server?

I just tested the multishop feature out and have to say this one is one of the simplest so far. Especially for the cPanel users.

You just set up the shop URLs in the backend and then point your domain in cpanel to have same physical root folder. Prestashop seems to handle everything else quite nicely, even with friendly urls. Haven't come across any problems so far.

This is the basically same what Trips apache configuration does, but just within cpanel.

No need for symbolic links or worse copy of any file for second url. :) Me like.

Ok, thanks!

So I can understand that the key is to redirect shop2 domain to shop1, then prestashop will handle it.

About the redirect is another way to do it? other than virtual server?

Nono, no redirections.

Only same physical root folder for all domains for the shop engine to handle.

Other than virtual server? Hmm... would you like to setup same engine on two physically separate webservers? :)

I just tested the multishop feature out and have to say this one is one of the simplest so far. Especially for the cPanel users.

You just set up the shop URLs in the backend and then point your domain in cpanel to have same physical root folder. Prestashop seems to handle everything else quite nicely, even with friendly urls. Haven't come across any problems so far.

This is the basically same what Trips apache configuration does, but just within cpanel.

No need for symbolic links or worse copy of any file for second url. :) Me like.

Thank you for this interesting information, may i ask you how do you manage SSL certificates for this special setup on cpanel/whm ? I did not have time yet to test it, but If you have installed ssl on your vps/server then you already have one IP for each domain, is everything going smooth with presta 1.5 and multistores / SSL / WHM Cpanel setup ?

Best Regards,

Zen

Thank you for this interesting information, may i ask you how do you manage SSL certificates for this special setup on cpanel/whm ? I did not have time yet to test it, but If you have installed ssl on your vps/server then you already have one IP for each domain, is everything going smooth with presta 1.5 and multistores / SSL / WHM Cpanel setup ?

Best Regards,

Zen

Well, I'm not currently able to test this. But as per SSL certificates, they are per domain not per IP.

So for example, when installing certificates to one server and multiple domain I'd name the certificates per domain. Something like /path/to/your/cert/example_com.crt for wildcard SSLs and including subdomain prefix, if it's for certain subdomain only.

So I don't see any conflicts in using SSL with this multidomain setup. It's not that special setup, I just found it genious that Prestashop manages multistores this way. :)

Of course this needs to be tested before final conclusions.

• Like 1

well.. thank you for your answer.

I still didn't got time to test fully.

but yes SSL certificates are for a domain, but it can be released only if the domain is on dedicated IP, not share ip , otherwise it will be a different certificate that cost minimum 1000 $...

so on WHM / CPANEL VPS I need to assign each domain to a dedicated IP, but of course they can still point to the same ROOT FOLDER, and that will work I guess/hope !

Best regards,

Zen

Actually you should be able to run SSL on shared IP with SNI extension to TLS protocol.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

But I guess you might need to take this to your hosting company in case of shared server environment.

This feature is going to be in cPanel next year as their developers have noted.

But yes, for now in shared environments I think the best/easiest option is to get a dedicated IP per SSL cert.

Actually you should be able to run SSL on shared IP with SNI extension to TLS protocol.

More info: http://en.wikipedia....Name_Indication

But I guess you might need to take this to your hosting company in case of shared server environment.

This feature is going to be in cPanel next year as their developers have noted.

But yes, for now in shared environments I think the best/easiest option is to get a dedicated IP per SSL cert.

interesting .. but for now the multidomain SSL for one IP remains extremely expensive isn't it ?

that's why on VPS or Dedicated server I still need one ip per domain.

I am not talking about shared hosting at all here. anyway prestashop is not really made for this kind of environnement, specially if you activate the layered navigation that creates so much nodes (often not allowed on shared hosting policy)

Best Regards,

Zen

I think you've checked Multidomain EV SSL certificates, which are around 1000$ per year. Although normal EV SSL cert isn't that cheap either, because there's a full check of your business and I believe most of the times higher insurance as well.

I found multidomain SSL's to be from around 150$ per year from Comodo to about 350$ from Digicert. Basic package is for 4 domains and you can get domains added for around 20-50$.

https://comodosslstore.com/comodo-mdc-ssl.aspx

http://www.digicert.com/unified-communications-ssl-tls.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello community,

We have problems with domains configuration, please help us.

We have one base shop with main domain - domain1.com (->public_html) and we try to configurate second shop with domain domain2.com

Domain domain2.com is parked in cPanel and targets to main directory (public_html).

Multi-shop 1 configuration in admin panel:

Domain: domain1.com

SSL domain: domain1.com

Physical URI: /

Virtual URI:

Your final URL will be: http://shop1.com/

Multi-shop 2 configuration in admin panel:

Domain: domain2.com

SSL domain: domain2.com

Physical URI: /

Virtual URI:

Your final URL will be: http://shop2.com/

Seems all okey, but, next features don`t work - customers login status, shared cart.

But if we change domain2.com to subdomain test.domain1.com all works fine.

Anybody knows where is a problem? Please help

Edited by webembassy (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hello i'm new in prestashop, i heve my shops in zencart but i need to change it, i live very much prestashop.

I have to set multishop in prestashop, but i want to do whit separate databases for each shop, do you kown it is posible? or i have to made a diferente installation for erevy shop?

Diferent databaes is better if after we want to change hosting or sme thing like this.

Any one have idea about this?

I aprecite your help and your time.

Bestregards

• 1 month later...

At the moment I can only find configurations when using the same root folder with domains.

But how do you configure multistores when having different ip's with different root folders?

So in WHM they are configured as 2 different accounts and have there own cpanel.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my multistore working but having troubles with ssl. (which my hosting provider is looking into at the moment)

I installed PS 1.5.3 on domain1 and configured it to be a multi store setup.

After that I configured a domain pointer from domain2 to domain1 in my hosting backoffice.

Now you can configure the second store in the PS back office and setup seperate themes etc.

For the SSL setup. Has anyone experiences with that?

Do I need a multi domain ssl or is a ssl for the main SSL enough?

• 3 months later...

Nono, no redirections.

Only same physical root folder for all domains for the shop engine to handle.

Can you please tell me how to do this?

I should not put a redirection in cPanel as I understand you - should I make an addon domain?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello but it's possible on shared hosting? my servie company said me no, in directadmin i try the POINTER solution but it tell me it can't point on the same server, if i use another domain on another server using PINTER it not function.

if i try on the other server with PLESK the alias doesn't work.

the hosting company said me i must use a VPS ???

or i need an individual IP for the prestashop installe domain ?

PLEASE i need help cause i don't find any competent techician here in ITALY :(

@Nickektrikke I already told you via several pm's if your hosting provider tells you that you can not use it with your current hosting plan than what are you expecting we can do? Afaik you definetly have to change the apache config. Some providers are helping you with tools like plesk so you don't have to do it manually but nevertheless you can not expect such a functionality from a shared hosting. Maybe some providers have that - others do not. You don't need an individual ip but the server must be configured correct to handle and route the request. Your provider told you your hosting plan does not allow that - end of story. Change your hosting plan and ask your provider to assist you in setting it up correctly.

Best regards, trip

Btw. I strongly recommend to test the functionality on a local test installation. Multishop is great but still not 100% bullet proof. It is definetly nothing where I would start to test it on a live system so learn the basics before. For some people it might be easier to setup different stores with different ps installations. Only when you are 100% confident with the features, tested everything on your test installation then I would setup a multistore step by step with database backups in case things go wild ;)

• 8 months later...

Hello all , rather than starting a new topic, our problem is exactly the same.

SHOP1.COM (main store)

SHOP2.COM (mutli store)

Shop2.com is parked domain in cpanel default directly public_html)

all users who visit shop2.com are redirected to shop1.com. (the url actually should not change!)

There are no redirects for shop2.com in the htacess file.

So i decided to totally remove the multistore setting from prestashop and i found the same redirection stll happening. so this means that their is something else that is forcing the redirection.

My host (SITE5) says that this is a prestashop setting , below is a quote :

The redirect is certainly internal within the Prestashop application whether it's a configurable option in your administrative back-end or not. It's built into the coding which forces the configured "base url" shop1.com as soon as it is executed in the browser.  I performed a quick search and found that this is set by the settings.inc.php file under the line containing "__PS_BASE_URI__" but how this should be set to support multiple domains is ultimately decided by the Prestashop developers. 

does anyone have a clue as to what i should do?

Thanks!

RICKY

Hi Ricky, ps does not 'redirect' it simply (when defined to back office multishop) accept the domain name which is then used to build the links at page render.

cpanel park is correct, you parked to main domain yes?

I have found in testing (still using 1.4 multishop module) and on occasion that one must clear their browser cache when testing the 2nd store.

Given that your 2nd domain renders the 1st domain tells us that you at least are getting to the proper ps installation. Why it is not working for you is difficult to resolve in the forum...but we keep trying yes?

Hi El, okay now ii understand that PS simply just looks at the url and then draws the page according to the url for multistore environments.

The problem that i have is that the shop2.com is always redirecting or changing the browser url to the baseurl which is shop1.com

Infact i use browserstack.com to test so their is surely no caching involved. and well after 48 hours of setting the parked domain, good enough time to propagate, and i always clear local cache storage.

in cpanel i park the domain to public_html, that is the url in which my shop1.com files are sitting in, is that not correct?

i have also disabled multistore, and disabled all caching. and tried again, but their is still some sort of redirection.. 

if i remove the parked domain ,then after a few hours of propagation, shop2.com resolves to a not found page, which is normal.

i am using 1.5.6.1.

strange thou? i have looked in to the htacess file and i see the setting are all normal... could it be a setting in settings.inc.php file under the line containing "__PS_BASE_URI__"

thanks, yes i will surely keep trying to solve this. 

Funny, thing, looks like i indeed did everything right.

Sometimes these problems solve themselves as soon as you ask for help.

I deleted the multistore and added it back again, and voila shop2.com works, however www.shop2.com has image loading problems.

www.shop2.com does not display any images of the products (broken images) 

one problem solved, however another problem is created!

next is how do i allow www.shop2.com and shop2.com  ?

Funny, thing, looks like i indeed did everything right.

Sometimes these problems solve themselves as soon as you ask for help.

I deleted the multistore and added it back again, and voila shop2.com works, however www.shop2.com has image loading problems.

www.shop2.com does not display any images of the products (broken images) 

one problem solved, however another problem is created!

yes!...

I would add a 301 redirect in .htaccess for non www to www....for shop2...having entry with both www and non-www creates a big problem with cookies. :)

For www redirection, I suggest not to touch the .htaccess yourself but Instead you better go into multishop settings and add one more URL for the shop2 : www.shop2.com and this one will not be the "Main Url"

or do the opposite : if you want your site to be crawled as www.shop2.com as a main url.

I hope i was clear enough.

Best Regards,

Zen

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Guys

I have to instal a multi store for a already working shop -https://biospot.ro and now I whant to instal the multi store for https://biospot.hu. I enabled the multi store but seems is not working. 

The page https://biospot.hu is blank. I put the domain on the root folder. 

What I need to do to have the same theme,stock and prices.

Thanks.

Hello Guys

I have to instal a multi store for a already working shop -https://biospot.ro and now I whant to instal the multi store for https://biospot.hu. I enabled the multi store but seems is not working. 

The page https://biospot.hu is blank. I put the domain on the root folder. 

What I need to do to have the same theme,stock and prices.

Thanks.

First time you need put the same ip for redirects both domains

Second time you need to create a new shop whit the other domain name but coping all dates from the firs shop and using the same categories and products.

But my experience whit multishop is nost very graceful  i'll forgot multishop and put all thins in two shops,

First time you need put the same ip for redirects both domains

Second time you need to create a new shop whit the other domain name but coping all dates from the firs shop and using the same categories and products.

But my experience whit multishop is nost very graceful  i'll forgot multishop and put all thins in two shops,

How to I put the same IP for redirect?

I create new shop and new shop group. But is all blank, I think I don't do something good.

If you choose to have 2 shops how do you manage the stocks?

Thanks 

How to I put the same IP for redirect?

I create new shop and new shop group. But is all blank, I think I don't do something good.

If you choose to have 2 shops how do you manage the stocks?

Thanks 

In your hosting control panel, if you have a shared hosting or dedicated server.

You have to spend hours in kwon the system because is not dificult but you must kwon basicall things