This week is THE week.

I disagree. At some point you simply have to ship software. Out of those bugs from RC2 how many are critical and how many have been fixed?

Have you ever seen the buglist for any major piece of software? It's insane how many known bugs ship with major software releases. At some point you have to decide if it's good enough and that the remaining buys affect a small percentage of the user base and just ship out the software.

If we waited for every bug in software to be resolved prior to ship, nothing would ever get released.

I disagree. At some point you simply have to ship software. Out of those bugs from RC2 how many are critical and how many have been fixed?

Have you ever seen the buglist for any major piece of software? It's insane how many known bugs ship with major software releases. At some point you have to decide if it's good enough and that the remaining buys affect a small percentage of the user base and just ship out the software.

If we waited for every bug in software to be resolved prior to ship, nothing would ever get released.

Its seems that you are not very familiar with development cycle. When you have so much bugs, you have to evaluate again, if you release unstable version the problems for users and developers will be much much more which will impact negative after all. We don't wait for "perfect" bug-free release, we just want to see a stable, working RC with acceptable level of bugs before its going live.

Testing and evaluation is very important part of the development cycle which often CEO's don't understand and rush software to the public, and because other companies do it, this don't make it right.

softwaredeve.jpg

Edited by Dreamtheme (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Agree with above post.

Just lookup the http://forge.prestashop.com every day - 5-10 new issues per day. Agreed, not an all are the real bugs, often some issues are fixed since last RC (RC2 is 1.5.0.15, now 1.5.0.17 in svn). 46 bugs are open for this moment, and some of them are still open still May 21 till today.

Look on the PS1.5 project page

http://forge.prestas...om/browse/PSCFV

on a graph where the delta between open bugs and fixed bugs looks stable, but should decrese to show a progress in the code stability.

So we are (the public, merchants, webmasters) need yet another RC - RC3, to check and test the declared functionality and business logic implementation against blocking/critical bugs, to finish translations to local languages, etc. and at least to test the engine performance.

Then, week or two later, if no any critical bugs confirmed, can be a stable release.

Well to tell a theory, but PrestaShop developers are in practice, that often too differ from theory.

Edited by Nick Fedchik (see edit history)

@troyrob : Today I found a bug in Prestashop 1.5 (SVN version) : Deleting a category (in back office or by Category::delete() ) doesn't delete its subcategories in database so we have zombie categories that will no appears in back office but can still be viewed in front office (if you know the URL). I don't think it's that an acceptable bug for a stable version.

You can not say that they are rushing it out after all the delays ;)

Anyway I would be very carefull with the upgrade. First test as much as possible if the things you need are working.

Unfortunately you can not test everything. The upgrade in my case to 1.4.8 was a nightmare concerning SEO and one serious bug with randomly stopped finishing orders(I thing it was related to the swift mailer). Fortunately the last version seems to be better but this is after one year of 1.4. release.

As a rule of thumb I would see the stable(!?) version as inofficial RC3 and than wait 1 or 2 months untill 1.5.1 is out ;) .. just my 2 cents. Off topic, I have the feeling that progress in developement was at high pace the last weeks. I hope this also is the case with the quality of the functionality.

With all respect for ps team and share their work I can not afford to be the the guinea pig. If orders are lost or google webmaster tools shows me thousands of 404 errors this is not exceptable.

So let's hope we will be heard. Anyway besides complaining here in the forum everyone should use the bug tracker because their

you have the chance to get in contact to the devs. Most of the time they are very interested in the issues and try to find a solution.

So go go go Prestarocket ;)