[Solved] - currencies

Hi,

I guess the development team at prestashop has been very busy recently with the new release and then answering all queries, a big thank you for your work in getting the new release out and answering my forum cries for help.  I have a few questions / comments below on currencies (but these are comparitively minor).

In adding a new currency it asks for the conversion factor.  The question is, conversion from what?  I guess that it may be the conversion from the first currency in the list (i.e. euros), but is this the case? 

When I ran the new update I noticed the the currencies were reset.  I had renamed euros into British Pounds and also deleted dollars from the currencies (perhap sone day I shall be thinking Europe and US but not just yet!).  The update has re-installed the dollar currency and renamed pounds back to euros.  Is it advisable to always keep euros and dollars?  Any chance of GBP being added as standard?

Lastly on currencies, I do not want to give the users of my site the choice of which currency to use (i.e. I want to hide the currency dropdown).  I had solved this by deleting all but the first currency in the backshop...is there a better way to achieve this especially as the update reset them all?  I think that I could delete the code from the header.tpl to stop the dropdown being shown, however I quite like the solution adopted for Languages where I can set which language is shown and that then removes the language flags when only one is selected.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Ash

Hi ashley

Concerning currencies, the documentation is obsolete and even wrong !

On the documentation, if it is not marked in red "updated" it is not updated ! And maybe obsolete. You use it at your own risks.

So to resume the current currency situation :

It is possible to change the default currency. To do it :

You need to add a new currency first (except if you want to use one which already exists) "Back-office > Payment > Currencies"

We will see later what's the conversion rate is

After go to "Back-office > Preferences > Default currency" and select the new one. Save the new preferences.

Now all your products' price are in this currency.

Concerning the conversion rate :

It is used to convert form the default currency to the (customer) selected currency

By default, PrestaShop default currency is euro and conversion rate is used to convert to euro. So if you want to use dollar as default currency you just need to change the conversion rate and set it to default.

To reply to others questions :

When I ran the new update I noticed the the currencies were reset.  I had renamed euros into British Pounds and also deleted dollars from the currencies (perhap sone day I shall be thinking Europe and US but not just yet!).  The update has re-installed the dollar currency and renamed pounds back to euros.  Is it advisable to always keep euros and dollars?  Any chance of GBP being added as standard?

:o You're right, currencies are reset on this upgrade and it shouldn't have happened. It is a horrible mistake.

Rest assured, now that we noticed, no, since you noticed, it will be fixed and never happened again.

Lastly on currencies, I do not want to give the users of my site the choice of which currency to use (i.e. I want to hide the currency dropdown).  I had solved this by deleting all but the first currency in the backshop...is there a better way to achieve this especially as the update reset them all?  I think that I could delete the code from the header.tpl to stop the dropdown being shown, however I quite like the solution adopted for Languages where I can set which language is shown and that then removes the language flags when only one is selected.

To do it, the simpler solution is to remove from your template the form managing currency choice because chosing which ones should be displayed (except by making the template more complex) from the back-office is impossible right now.

Open your database in something like phpMyAdmin and use the followning SQL statement

Back up first i am still learning but this worked for me.

INSERT INTO `ps_currency` VALUES (3, 'Stirling', 'GBP', '&pound', 1, 1.00, 0);

the conversion rate at the moment is 0.72 (as of this morning ;))

Stirling will now be selectable via both front and back office ;)