PS needs improvements & some suggestions

Hi Prestashop community and team!

I have been using now Prestashop software for about 2 years for my business.

Firstly, I would like to thank Prestashop team, developers and everybody who involved in making a great opportunity for small business owners to start easy and cheap beautiful e-store.

But today I decided and took my time to write my opinion shortly.

1)

Prestashop front office is still slower than other platforms! Nobody want to visit a slow website. Please, the speed should be improved. I am just guessing that it caused by too many maps with many files under directories of PS.

2) One page checkout!

I wonder why customers still must sign in to see payment methods in 2012? Customers want to be sure for everything before they start to sign in and making orders, when there are so many nice competitors out there to compare for them! As we can follow the statistics with Google Analytics many visitors looking at checkout page and leaving. To let or don't let to see payment method should at least be optional in settings.

Fast growing Innovative payment solution company Klarna has designed a demo checkout page as recommendation to all e-merchants. You can see the page on link below:

http://snabbkassa.com/produkter/s/2

This method now being used by most of web shops in Sweden and becoming standard for every e-store here. And all of them have much work to do in checkout page before start using Prestashop.

3)

Anonymous comments for products or leave comment without log in.

I hope these changes going to be done in PS 1.5 final version so that we merchants not going to be stressed and spending much time on fixing these problems when upgrading our sites.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

First of all, thank you for your feedback. I'd like to try to address each individual comment below:

Prestashop front office is still slower than other platforms! Nobody want to visit a slow website. Please, the speed should be improved. I am just guessing that it caused by too many maps with many files under directories of PS.

Who is your hosting provider? And can you please post a link where we can see this for ourselves? This sort of situation is often related to hosting, but there are also certain Back Office settings that you can configure to improve the speed of your site. We'd be happy to take a look at your site and see what suggestions we can offer.

One page checkout!

I wonder why customers still must sign in to see payment methods in 2012? Customers want to be sure for everything before they start to sign in and making orders, when there are so many nice competitors out there to compare for them! As we can follow the statistics with Google Analytics many visitors looking at checkout page and leaving. To let or don't let to see payment method should at least be optional in settings.

We definitely appreciate this suggestion, and I would invite you to post it here so that it can be passed directly to our development team who will look into implementing it in a future release if they haven't already.

Fast growing Innovative payment solution company Klarna has designed a demo checkout page as recommendation to all e-merchants. You can see the page on link below:

http://snabbkassa.com/produkter/s/2

This method now being used by most of web shops in Sweden and becoming standard for every e-store here. And all of them have much work to do in checkout page before start using Prestashop.

We recently partnered with Klarna to integrate them with PrestaShop, so this is definitely something we're aware of and always looking to improve! The advantage to open source software is that it gives us the opportunity to look at what other people do well and try to find the best way to integrate it into our own solution.

Anonymous comments for products or leave comment without log in.

We actually do already offer a module for this, which you can find here: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/front-office-features/474-guest-product-comments-with-captcha.html

I hope this helps address some of your concerns!

-Mike

• Like 1

We actually do already offer a module for this, which you can find here: http://addons.presta...th-captcha.html

I hope this helps address some of your concerns!

-Mike

Hi Mike!

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to our shop. Do you think it's possible to enhance its speed more?

We tried hard with some skilled "Presta guys" but without success. I don't think the problem is

the host, its swedish Oderland. People host very fast sites there.

Do you think the optimized Checkout page coming in the next 1.5 version?

I actually already did my suggestions on "Forge" too and I guess nobody did them there before.

Thanks for the link for comments module. I meant it should come by default in PS otherwise

the existing product comment feature is almost useless because people leave comments very

rarely by registering or by signing in. But I left my suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jimmy

Just additional info about the basic speed optimizations we did:

Cache activated ✓

CCC instead CSS ✓

Force compile unactivated ✓

Images easy files as possible✓

and some other settings... anymore suggestions?

Hi Jimmy,

In terms of speeding up your site, the best suggestion I can offer (which is listed as the top priority if you run Google's page speed tests), would be to optimize your images through lossless compression. The service our own development team recommends, and which we use ourselves on PrestaShop.com, is Yahoo Smush.it.

You will need to re-upload your images after optimizing them, but this should give you a pretty healthy improvement in your page speed.

I don't have specific details on what features will and will not be in an individual release of PrestaShop. I offer my own suggestions based on the requests of the community, but I leave the final decisions up to our development team. As for integrating a specific feature, we are always working to add more and more to the default solution, but at the same time, we will never be able to include every single feature wanted by every single user. At the moment, more than 275 features are included by default, and that number will continue to grow as we add more and more features and functionalities, many of which were originally requested by users such as yourself.

In the meantime, that is why this module is on the Addons store. A developer identified a potential area of improvement in the software, and developed his own solution. PrestaShop is an open-source project, so we always welcome these sorts of submissions.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

-Mike

• Like 1