Do you need to override CSS files with prestashop?

Hello everybody,

I'm beginning with PS, I already learnt how the override method works. But then one simple question came up...

I've never updated my prestashop but I have read it gives a lot of problems and thats why override exists. I'm going to manipulate a CSS of PS, of jqzoom.css to be more specific. This is the folder:

theme/css/jqzoom.css

Is it recomendable to also override these files or can you edit directly on them??

As I never updated, could the update of PS destroy your CSS modification??

Or when you update you always have to do a copy of the CSS files?!?!

I don;t know how it works... so let me know.

Dani

Edited by scalesplanet.com (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

I'm beginning with PS, I already learnt how the override method works. But then one simple question came up...

I've never updated my prestashop but I have read it gives a lot of problems and thats why override exists. I'm going to manipulate a CSS of PS, of jqzoom.css to be more specific. This is the folder:

theme/css/jqzoom.css

Is it recomendable to also override these files or can you edit directly on them??

As I never updated, could the update of PS destroy your CSS modification??

Or when you update you always have to do a copy of the CSS files?!?!

I don;t know how it works... so let me know.

Dani

Hi Dani.

The files in the folder 'css' can not be overridden, only overwritten. Via FTP you just overwrite them. Override and overwrite is not the same. (jqzoom.css is in the folder 'css', not in 'theme/css/', the folder 'theme/css' doesn't even exist)

When it comes to update, depending on the new features Prestashop has added, you can either preserve the modified file or merge it with the new one. Anyway (depending of the amount of modifications you made) you can keep a backup of the modified file.

Regards.

Robin.

The CartExpert Team