No way for guest customer to amend their address details?

TWDesign

Unless I am missing something..

Once a guest (not a registered customer) has entered their address information, it seems like Prestashop captures this information in a cookie, but there is NO WAY for a customer to amend those address details using guest checkout (without opening an account).

Is that correct?

It seems crazy.

Using vers 1.4.7.3

Edited by TWDesign (see edit history)

well if you think about it, the idea of guest checkout is that the store is not recording this information or creating an account for you. so the store would capture the details the customer provided for order purposes, but since the customer did not create an account, they would have no way to come back to the store, authenticate who they are, and then change the address.

so there is no way that customer, when using guest checkout, can have different address for delivery and another one for invoice ? Because when using guest checkout, under the Addresses Tab, I click on update delivery address, it redirects me to login page.

Any easy way to solve this ?

so there is no way that customer, when using guest checkout, can have different address for delivery and another one for invoice ? Because when using guest checkout, under the Addresses Tab, I click on update delivery address, it redirects me to login page.

Any easy way to solve this ?

Exactly what I mean.

v1.4.7.x series was so buggy, I would upgrade immediately. I would suggest you install v1.4.8.2 and test that scenario and see if it works better. I have no idea if that is working as designed or if you have found a bug. you should also search the bug report or submit a new bug if it does not work in v1.4.8.2

v1.4.7.x series was so buggy, I would upgrade immediately. I would suggest you install v1.4.8.2 and test that scenario and see if it works better. I have no idea if that is working as designed or if you have found a bug. you should also search the bug report or submit a new bug if it does not work in v1.4.8.2

So bellini13, on your shop can a "guest checkout" enter a different billing and delivery address?

If so what version are you using?

well if you think about it, the idea of guest checkout is that the store is not recording this information or creating an account for you. so the store would capture the details the customer provided for order purposes, but since the customer did not create an account, they would have no way to come back to the store, authenticate who they are, and then change the address.

You are not true, I´m working on interface, in which will guest could change his address... The information MUST be stored, how could you then send order to his address? I am thinking to write an article about it when it will be ready, I will post it here...

Edited by haunter (see edit history)

i did not say it was not stored by prestashop, i said the idea behind guest checkout is that the information is not stored, and there is not an account associated to it.

Why in gods name would you use guest checkout functionality, and then allow the guest to come back and alter their information? it implies they have an account, and a way to authenticate who they are. it defaults the whole idea of a 'guest checkout'. At this point, you might as well disable guest checkout and just have them create an account.

Not at all, because as it was sayed in one topic (don´t know where it was) i red that this is a psychologic - lot of users don´t want an account, what for?

Guest settings is stored in prestashop (I think in cookies?). During my testing, eshop has remembered address settings, so you cannot "pretend" that you will not remember his input.

Guest settings is stored in prestashop (I think in cookies?).

That's correct. And that's my point.

Once somebody enters their address in Guest Checkout mode, those details are stored in a cookie.

So if I make a mistake when entering my address information there is NO WAY to edit those details in Guest Mode.

I suppose the only thing to do would be end the session, clear the cookies and start again - if I were the average shopper I just couldnt be bothered with all the hassle, and abandon the shopping exercise.

Edited by TWDesign (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To answer your question about different billing and delivery address, you can handle that with the payment modules. Paypal lets you choose a delivery address. I have a shop where you only enter a delivery address until you get to the credit card screen and when you enter your credit card info you enter your billing address too. But, you are right, there is no way to amend the first address without clearing the cookies.

• Like 1

To answer your question about different billing and delivery address, you can handle that with the payment modules. Paypal lets you choose a delivery address. I have a shop where you only enter a delivery address until you get to the credit card screen and when you enter your credit card info you enter your billing address too. But, you are right, there is no way to amend the first address without clearing the cookies.

Yes. I can understand that PayPal might offer some workaround.

But it becomes more of an issue with other payment systems, like bankwire, for example.

You can add it in by custom coding it. But one that I use for auth.net is the one from presto-changeo because it offers entering the billing address at the payment page. The guest check out is pretty much a bad solution, I don't know if you have read it, but phrasepot had a good rant about it around a month ago.

On a side note, do you need a billing address to process a bankwire? Because what I did in my shop was just edit the template to have it say shipping address. Like this http://screencast.com/t/6vqBIxgXi

You can add it in by custom coding it. But one that I use for auth.net is the one from presto-changeo because it offers entering the billing address at the payment page. The guest check out is pretty much a bad solution, I don't know if you have read it, but phrasepot had a good rant about it around a month ago.

On a side note, do you need a billing address to process a bankwire? Because what I did in my shop was just edit the template to have it say shipping address. Like this http://screencast.com/t/6vqBIxgXi

Most customers will be using PayPal or C.o.d anyway, so I might not worry about it for now.

Will find out from experience how big an issue it is.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I believe the Stripe module that Prestashop developed just uses the delivery address during guest checkout on 1 page checkout. What if the delivery address is different than the billing address?? The payment won't go through because the address can't be verified against there credit card #.

Anyone have some input? Why would Prestashop not include something so simple as a billing address? Makes no sense

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread because I believe the Stripe module that Prestashop developed just uses the delivery address during guest checkout on 1 page checkout. What if the delivery address is different than the billing address?? The payment won't go through because the address can't be verified against there credit card #.

Anyone have some input? Why would Prestashop not include something so simple as a billing address? Makes no sense

Hey ajensen27,

Just to let you know, we have improved the Stripe module to fix the issue with delivery/billing address. Check it out, Stripe is a great service to accept credit cards fast and easily.

You can download Stripe v0.9.4 at the following address:

http://addons.prestashop.com/fr/modules-paiement-prestashop/6611-stripe.html

Regards,