Catagory/Attribute Based Search Plugin - Research

Hi all,

I've recently been presented with a problem that I need to find a solution to for a potential client. Before taking on the job I'm doing a little research before taking on the job.

Here is a summary of what I need to do:

The client sells car parts/accessories.

They would like to create a search feature for finding parts or accessories specifically for the users car. So say for example the user is looking for new tires. The idea is that the user would go to a search page. On that page they would select tires then the make > model > and year of their car. This would then narrow down the search to show only tires which would fit that car.

I'm guessing that each car/make would need to be added to the database with attributes for what sizes of tire could fit the car. Then when a product is added it has relevant size attributes associated with it.

I have never done anything like this before so would love some assistance and guidance from anyone who has taken on a similar challenge.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Hi Davidmck,

You should be able to accomplish this by building out PrestaShop's default Layered Navigation module. As long as you create all the proper categories and subcategories and assign the products to them appropriately, as well as build a good attribute database through the Back Office, that should be very helpful for you.

-Mike

Thanks Mike.

Would this allow for an AJAX/jQuery type defining of the search. By that I mean when a user selects the make, the models are populated in the next dropdown and then the same thing for the year after selecting a model?

Apologies if the answer is obvious, I'm pretty fresh to prestashop and still have lots to learn.

Thanks Mike.

Would this allow for an AJAX/jQuery type defining of the search. By that I mean when a user selects the make, the models are populated in the next dropdown and then the same thing for the year after selecting a model?

Apologies if the answer is obvious, I'm pretty fresh to prestashop and still have lots to learn.

Yes, there are all types of potential filters available, including one for subcategories. As long as the products are configured correctly, you should have no issues with this.

-Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your help.

I've spent some time looking at this module and it works great. The way it functions and filters through seamlessly is really close to what I need.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how I would set it up to filter the way the client would want.

I understand I could have a list to select the tire sizes as part of layered navigation.

I'm not really sure how I would create it in this module. I could understand it if the products were categorized under vehicle makes/models/and years. But they won't be. The products will just be under things like "tires" and such.

The way it needs to work is we have our list of products in their respective categories. The category being something like "Tires". Then in that list of products each tire would have an attribute associated with it for available size(s) (20 inch, 22inc, etc). We would then need another list with categories and sub categories for Car Makes > Car model > Car Year. Under each specific car model year we would then add the attributes for what size tires would fit that car.

So it's like two entirely separate entities. On one hand we have our tires, and the various sizes. And on the other we have cars with the size of tires that would fit them. And we need to be able to filter our tires by what fits the specific car using our tire size attribute.

Hi David,

You create these individual Attributes through the Back Office under the Features tab for each individual product. There, you can add new Attributes ("tire size," for example) and Attribute Values ("20 inch," "22 inch," etc.) and choose whether or not they can be indexed by the Layered Navigation module.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Get that completely. How would I create the list of vehicles though? And then associate the end result (Make > Model > Year) with appropriate tire sizes that would fit that particular vehicle?

Really appreciating your guidance and help! I'll be visiting the Miami office this month for 2 days of in depth training :) Looking forward to becoming more familiar with Prestashop.

Hi Mike,

Get that completely. How would I create the list of vehicles though? And then associate the end result (Make > Model > Year) with appropriate tire sizes that would fit that particular vehicle?

Really appreciating your guidance and help! I'll be visiting the Miami office this month for 2 days of in depth training :) Looking forward to becoming more familiar with Prestashop.

You can create the various Make > Model > Years using categories and subcategories, and then create individual Layered Navigation templates which you will assign to each. It's a bit of a complex process, but its the best way to do it for this sort of site.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

There is one thing that I had problem with. If you will needed to create a new customer group you have to assign access to every category where product located.

If you have product Make > Model > Years>product, you have to do it for each YEAR. You cannot make it to MAKE and have model-years affected.