PayPal 500 Internal Server Error - Help I spent 10+ hours on this

Hi All,

I am pulling my hair out here. Seriously

I had Prestashop setup and working on a test server. Paypal was configured and working, everything was fine.

I then moved my installation to my hosting provider ukhost4u.com

Since then PayPal has not worked properly. I can checkout and go to paypal, I put my paypal credentials in and click the Pay Now button. I then get the following error on this url

http://www.store.candmpets.co.uk/modules/paypal/payment/submit.php

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The Apache error log says

[Mon Jul 02 19:52:59 2012] [error] [client 94.170.244.133] File does not exist: /home/simoncmz/public_html/candmpets.co.uk/store/favicon.ico
[Mon Jul 02 19:52:59 2012] [error] [client 94.170.244.133] File does not exist: /home/simoncmz/public_html/candmpets.co.uk/store/500.shtml

Here is what I have tried and checked.

• Checked security that all files are 0644 and folders are 0755
  • Removed and deleted the PayPal module and re-installed
  • Deleted my .htaccess file and regenerated
  • Turned off friendly urls on and off - Same error for both.
  • Emptied my browser cache and cookies
  • Tried Firefox, Chrome and IE.
  • Tried 3 different PC's on different internet connections

At one point the Apache log said that it could not find a .htaccess file in the paypal/payments folder. So I created a .htaccess file in there and still no joy.

Can anyone suggest what I might try next. I am up against the wall now.

Thanks very much

Simon Carr

500 internal server errors I had the same thing happen. My webhost had to increase the memory limits in the custom php.ini file and that fixed the issue. It's a memory limit issue with your webhost. I also run on a Apache server and I am just passing on info that I have came across.

I sure hope that this may help you.

Clayton

Edited by clayton29657 (see edit history)

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the response. On my server PHP has a 128MB memory limit. My web host has just increased it to 256MB but I still have the same problem, however.... One other change I made was to create a 500.shtml file. The file is blank, but rather than getting just a text message, I know get a slightly different message (still a 500 message) but it has a link to try again later. When I click this link I get back to my web site with the message

Please refer to logs:
PayPal response:
TIMESTAMP -> 2012-07-02T20:36:51Z
L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10415
L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details.
L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> A successful transaction has already been completed for this token.
L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

Simon

PS. I also have to say how helpful UKhost4u have been so far. The tech support is fantastic. They are on line and available very late at night and answer requests to email in near real time. They even got back to me and asked if I find out about any server configuration that needs to be changed with the latest version of prestashop to let them know so they can update there server settings for others.

OK Problem is now sorted out. I was doing one last trawl through google before calling it a night and jabbing a nail in my eye in sheer frustration, and found a post where someone suggested leaving the API password blank.

So I did just that, I deleted the password and saved the paypal settings and know everything works. In fact it works better than ever, by leaving the password blank it even put the store logo at the top of the paypal page, and gives a much tighter integration and feel.

Thanks and I hope that this helps someone else.

Simon

Hi Tomerg,

Sorry for the delay in reply I just got back from work.

I am on Prestashop 1.4.7.3 and using paypal module version 2.8.6

If you can think of why this issue is happening I would be very grateful. I have setup another prestashop installation on the same hosted server but did a clean install rather than a migration and that works perfectly with the API password.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

Can you compare the two, I would once again check the permissions, as that is the cause of most issues.

I would also compare all the settings in the preferences tab and preferences->performance between the two sites.

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I fixed this issue. It turned out to be my SMTP Email Credentials were incorrect. so when the system tried to send an email half way through the checkout process it would crash the code and give the 500 error. As soon as I switched back to PHP internal mail handler it all worked again and I could use the PayPal password again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am having the same problem but I just get a blank page.

My website is www.madanayoga.com.

This domain is directed to www.abovecreativedesign.com/madanayoga.

I supposed it's this redirection that is causing the problem. but I do not know how to solve it.

When I click on "I confirm my Order" for Paypal, it goes to a blank screen.

Would appreciate some help on this

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am having the same problem but I just get a blank page.

My website is www.madanayoga.com.

This domain is directed to www.abovecreativedesign.com/madanayoga.

I supposed it's this redirection that is causing the problem. but I do not know how to solve it.

When I click on "I confirm my Order" for Paypal, it goes to a blank screen.

Would appreciate some help on this

Sometimes The folder 'paypal/standard/' folder permissions is set to 777 by default and this the reason it's not working. And you might get error 500 with the blank page. you have to change the permissions to 755 and the issue will resolve.

Make sure that in your back office(Paypal module/settings) Sandbox mode is Inactive!

Cheers

Edited by Kevin Hudson (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. I'm getting the same issue as the original poster, ie a 500 error whenever I click on the Paypal column or the pay with paypal button on the checkout page. I've tried re-installing the module, downloading latest version and re-doing, clear caches etc etc but I can't work it out. The error log from the server says:-

[Mon Jan 07 17:37:50 2013] [error] [client 46.33.132.51] File does not exist: /home/subbysaf/public_html/favicon.ico

[Mon Jan 07 17:37:50 2013] [error] [client 46.33.132.51] File does not exist: /home/subbysaf/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://subbysafe.co.uk/en/quick-order

[Mon Jan 07 17:37:50 2013] [error] [client 46.33.132.51] SoftException in Application.cpp:629: Directory "/home/subbysaf/public_html/modules" is writeable by group, referer: http://subbysafe.co.uk/en/quick-order

The link which pings this problem (clicking on the paypal column) is http://subbysafe.co.uk/modules/paypal/about.php . I've checked and this file does exist so I have no idea why it won't work.

Prestashop is 1.4.8.3

Paypal is 3.4.1

Does anyone have any ideas? I've spent way too much time on this already! Luckily the store isn't live yet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your first image in the banner is AWESOME!!!

I'll be happy to help, but please provide more info, what PS are you using, where exactly do you see the error?

Did you try to enable the error reporting / dev mode I mentioned above?

Thanks tomerg3!

My PS version is 1.3.1.1. Paypal v1.7.1 and PayPalAPI v1.0. All Paypal module folders checked 755, and files 644.

When I click either "Pay with PayPal" or "Pay with your PayPal account" upon check out it directs me to an error page:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apparently it was ok before and it is still ok with my another site http://www.ecyclog.com with the same paypal account.

I don't know what is wrong now. :(

I got the 500 internal error to, i was able to debug by turning on the "define('_PS_MODE_DEV_', true);"

Now this is the error i got:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PrestaShopException' with message 'Property Cart->id_currency is empty' in /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/classes/ObjectModel.php:837 Stack trace: #0 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/classes/ObjectModel.php(265): ObjectModelCore->validateFields() #1 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/classes/ObjectModel.php(599): ObjectModelCore->getFields() #2 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/classes/Cart.php(194): ObjectModelCore->update() #3 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/modules/paypal/express_checkout/process.php(126): CartCore->update() #4 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/modules/paypal/express_checkout/process.php(140): PaypalExpressCheckout->initParameters(true) #5 /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/modules/paypal/express_checkout/payment.php(134): PaypalExpressCheckout->setExpressCheckout() #6 {main} thrown in /home3/tekcente/public_html/store/classes/ObjectModel.php on line 837

can you please help me?

every time i try to make payments with paypal i got the 500 internal error!

• 1 month later...