One product in several different categories...easy way?

I am configuring my store at the moment and I am selling parts that work with several different years and models. If I create an item under one category is there an easy way for me to just copy and paste per say into all correct categories?

Thanks!! :)

BTW hi im the new guy.

Edited by PrestaNub (see edit history)

You are in luck, it is easy. Go to your Back Office > Go to your product > scroll down to the Default category selector located just above your short description editor. Check mark all the categories you wish your product to display in. Click Save at the bottom of the page.

That's it. :)

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You are in luck, it is easy. Go to your Back Office > Go to your product > scroll down to the Default category selector located just above your short description editor. Check mark all the categories you wish your product to display in. Click Save at the bottom of the page.

That's it. :)

YOUR AWESOMEEE!!! :)

Ahhhh! I wanted to do that also, but: the dropdown box just above the short description editor only gives me the option to put a checkmark in 'home' and does not show the underlying subcategories in a tree. When I click 'expand all' it just returns to the top of the product configuring box. HELP!

Screenshot:

https://lh4.googleus...52016.52.51.jpg

Edited by Woolness (see edit history)

I just started using Prestashop, so I was looking for a way to place products in multiple categories, as this seemed impossible to me. Then I found this... And it was not working.

If I upload a new Admin, will all my products/settings be lost for all eternity? And what about a reinstall?

Yikes.

Your settings are in your database and in prestashop\config.

You should backup your database often. :)

This problem could be from a corrupt file. Or it could be problem in the database.

If you want to try replacing the admin folder. Simply rename your existing admin folder, then upload a new one. That way you can always change back quickly and easily.

Just had a similar issue with a test site after updating.

So I started uploading each folder 1 at a time to find the issue, so I uploaded a complete new Admin folder no change, uploaded a complete new classes folder no change.

So I decided to look at the files in the config folder to see if maybe a setting in one of the files was wrong but the strange thing is that there was an XML folder inside the config folder that was not in the original, it had two files inside named 1.4.7.0.xml and 1.4.7.3.xml or something like that.

I decided to reuploaded all files except the settings.inc.php as the info inside was correct, I then deleted the xml folder from inside the config folder and now the categories are all shown and I can move products around.

look for something like this in your files. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

If you do not have the XML file in the config folder just try uploading new files to the config folder with the exception of settings.inc.php.

If you read my post I had also uploaded new Admin folder and classes folder.

Even though those did not fix the issue until I deleted the xml and uploaded the files into the config folder maybe its a combination of the three.

Sphyncks, it may be that you are uploading a copy that has the original error. Are you using a new fresh copy downloaded from Prestashop, so that you are uploading different copies?

I've downloaded the original one. I'll try to download a fresh copy and let you know about the result

This seems to be the page that controls it,

administrator/tabs/AdminProducts.php

Line 2846

I've attached a copy of mine - V1.4.7.3

I'm running V1.4.8.2 brand new download from the official site. I reup the 3 folders previously mentionned and still have the same problem. I've created a new admin user and it has the same issue.

I hate to suggest reinstalling and then importing your database. But that point is a card to play.

I was expecting that suggestion :-). I have a question about the restore. Do I have to save pictures separately or the restore will bring everything back up including images?

If you re-install, download the img folder to your computer this contains all the product, scene and other images that you uploaded,

After install upload the folder back to the new install overwriting the img folder.

Then restore the database or vise versa, sham I hoped my fix would work for others.

I got new files through the SVN did you try that.

Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)

Bad news, I just reinstall the whole thing and I'm still stuck with the same problem.

If you re-install, download the img folder to your computer this contains all the product, scene and other images that you uploaded,

After install upload the folder back to the new install overwriting the img folder.

Then restore the database or vise versa, sham I hoped my fix would work for others.

I got new files through the SVN did you try that.

What do you mean by SVN???

No I didn't unfortunately. But on the other hand, I already deleted the entire category and redone it and no improvement. I hope this will be fixed with the 1.5 version. Do you think I can downgrade my version without having serious issues?

One thing you could try is to upload the admin and classes folder form version 1.4.7 I had an issue with orders/ statuses giving an sql error, I uploades Adminorders.php, AdminOrdersStates.php and AdminOrderMessages from version 1.4.7 and the issue was fixed.

You can still download older versions here. http://www.prestashop.com/en/developers-versions

On another note when I say I re-uploaded the admin folder I mean the entire folder and all sub folders not just the files inside the admin folder.

If uploading admin and classes does not fix the issue also try the tools folder.

I guess I will just manually create duplicate products (I'm not really that much of a whizzkid in these things).

The thing is even if you duplicate the product you will have to select a sub-category which will not work. If it works for you, you're lucke cuz for me it didn't.

Bill: I will try your link later on today because I can't do that at work :-). I'll keep you informed.

Be very very careful with this !!

I had products in 2 different categories for some time, and when i removed some of them from some of the categories (just unchecked the checkboxes) my db simply flipped out.. It started to show up totally wrong quantities of random products in random, even empty (sub)categories in the BO.

I eventually had to restore my 20 days old copy of the db and the entire bkp copy of the shop directory, so i lost 20 days of data importing :ph34r:

You can do that if you like, that way your existing modules and images will be ready if you import your database.

This copy has an install folder, and after you upload you will need to go through the install process. This will drop your current database and give you a fresh install. You will need to delete the install folder and give your new admin fold a name. Remember to use your new admin folder to log on to the BO.

After the install and before you import your old database, please add a couple of category's and a product and see if the problem is gone.

I've juste reinstall the whole site using your files, creates new categories and sub-categories and it works well. Now I'v imported my database but my admin password isn't working anymore so i'm waiting for my new password to come but it takes a while so ''Stand-by'' and I cross my fingers to to see the result.

Guess what????? IT WORKS!!!!! finally. Thank you so much Bill Dalton. If you were a girl in front of me, i'd kiss you :-) So to conclude I don't know what the problem was exactly but the end result is there. The last version of PrestaShop 1.4.9. fixed my problem.

Once again, thank you

This problem is resolved for me. Hope this will help other people. It's been a pleasure to work with you Mr. Dalton.

• Like 1

ok, here's an update. I reinstall my entire Prestashop in my root folder and the problem came back. I previously installed a copy of my site on a folder, names /catalog and it was working fine and now that I installed the whole site on the root folder the sub-categories donesn't show up.

Any ideas???

Okay everyone here's what I've done in order to get those sub categories to show up in the backend.

1. Update the PrestaShop version to 1.4.9
  2. Created a sub folder into my FTP site named /catalog
  3. Created a redirection rule thru the Cpanel ("www.yourwebsite.com" to "www.yourwebsite.com/catalog"). So now when a customer enter mywebsite.com he's is automatically redirected to my catalog in that sub folder
  4. To conclude, those who are experiencing the sub-categories not showing up when entering a new product, here's the correct procedure to get it to work. Well it worked for me :-)

Thanks to Bill Dalton for his support.

Hope this will help someone.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Ciao guys, I think I've resolved definately?? this problem about tree category/product.

You must take the following file js/jquery/treeview/jquery.treevie.async.js from a new copy like PS 1.4.7.3 and change it in to your shop (mine is 1.4.6.2) and magicaly?? IT'S WORK.

I hope you resolve all stupid trouble.

Bye Bye

• Like 1