phrasespot

Add-ons acceptance procedures and reviewers?

PrestaShop prides itself being an open, transparent community; however its add-on submission procedure is an impenetrable wall and its reviewers shrouded in mystery.

Who are the non-PrestaShop 'employed' reviewers? How does PrestaShop make sure that there is no conflict of interest?

Are all reviewers fluent in the language of the module they are testing?

Can submitters see who is reviewing their module, even when there is not a problem, but especially when there is a problem with the module?

Is there a published procedure for the reviewers to follow when rejecting a module? If so can we see it?

What are the module types that are not accepted for the submission anymore, because that there are already too many of the submitted type in the add-ons?

Where is this list of 'not-to-submit' add-ons displayed? Is this practice followed even at the cost of functionally/aesthetically superior to existing, but the newer module?

Are reviewers told to test the module in all versions of all browsers in all zoom settings and when display goes out of shape in 100000% zoom out to reject it? If so is this stringent test applied to PrestaShop itself.

Does PrestaShop review the reviewers, track their accept/reject rate?

Are there incentives for reviewers for either to accept or reject a module? Do they get paid? How does one become a reviewer?

Is this forum made un-crawlable by search engines on-purpose?

Hi phrasespot,

I just sat down with the Addons team to get the answers directly from the source. If any of this is contrary to what may have been said in the past I apologize, but these are the correct, direct answers to your questions:

Who are the non-PrestaShop 'employed' reviewers? How does PrestaShop make sure that there is no conflict of interest?

All submissions are now reviewed by PrestaShop employees. In the past, we did have trusted community members who assisted with this for free modules, but we discontinued this process beginning with version 1.4. When we did let community members assist us, it was mainly longtime forum members and moderators. Active, trusted users such as yourself likely would have been invited to contribute.

Are all reviewers fluent in the language of the module they are testing?

This is why we require all submissions to be in English. With an international community spanning more than 150 countries, this is the only way that we can guarantee full comprehension of every submission.

Can submitters see who is reviewing their module, even when there is not a problem, but especially when there is a problem with the module?

No, but this is intentional because with a goal of about 40 validations per day, giving every contributor a direct line to the developer reviewing their module would significantly slow down the validation process without any significant improvements. However, we've certainly made a recent push to improve communication between our team and contributors, including screenshots and detailed explanations when it comes to why a submission was not accepted.

Is there a published procedure for the reviewers to follow when rejecting a module? If so can we see it?

All of our reviewers are PrestaShop developers, so they do not need a specific procedure to follow because they know the software inside and out. However, there are some basic guidelines our team follows. They check the various values (compatibility, language, etc.) and test according to that. All tests are run on clean installations of PrestaShop with all error messages activated. For every module, they check the Back office, how it works, how it is supposed to work in the Front Office relative to the description, etc. Since every module is different, this process can take some time to be fully tested.

What are the module types that are not accepted for the submission anymore, because that there are already too many of the submitted type in the add-ons?

Where is this list of 'not-to-submit' add-ons displayed? Is this practice followed even at the cost of functionally/aesthetically superior to existing, but the newer module?

We do not reject any modules because too many of that type have already been submitted. It's definitely in the contributor's best interest to submit something new and awesome, but if you want to submit another version of something we already have available on the Addons store, you're more than welcome to do so.

Are reviewers told to test the module in all versions of all browsers in all zoom settings and when display goes out of shape in 100000% zoom out to reject it? If so is this stringent test applied to PrestaShop itself.

Our reviewers mainly test on Firefox, Chrome and IE9.

Does PrestaShop review the reviewers, track their accept/reject rate?

Yes, we do have statistics on the reviewers but since they are developers with deep, intimate knowledge and experience with PrestaShop, we trust their judgement. However, we do sometimes have to step in if they want to reject a theme purely because they think it's ugly, because that's not their job. They're here to test, not to judge :P. If the submission functions properly and passes our testing process, it will be approved.

Is this forum made un-crawlable by search engines on-purpose?

This one I can answer myself B). Yes, this was completely intentional. Since day one, the PrestaShop forums have been classified as nofollow. This is to discourage spammers and link builders from trying to use our forums purely for that purpose. In our eyes, if you are a good contributor here on the forums, you will gain the trust of our community and will have no issues naturally spreading your influence and gaining new customers and clients. I can point to many of your fellow users here on the forums who have been very successful in taking that route. However, for too many users this is not the case, and our official policy is to ban any and all suspected link builders right away to keep these forums clean for our actual users.

I hope this helps address some of your concerns!

-Mike

Mike, thank you for taking time to explain.

All submissions are now reviewed by PrestaShop employees.

This is great to know. So every reply to a module submission, accept or reject, and the reason if it is a reject, has PrestaShop's stamp on it. I just wanted to get this on record. Work of reviewers appreciated.

we've certainly made a recent push to improve communication between our team and contributors, including screenshots and detailed explanations when it comes to why a submission was not accepted.

Great. This will be a very welcomed move by many developers I reckon.

We do not reject any modules because too many of that type have already been submitted.
I do have examples to the contrary. I will leave it at that. Maybe a reminder to everyone reviewing modules this is the case would be helpful.

They're here to test, not to judge :P. If the submission functions properly and passes our testing process, it will be approved.
Again, great. This is now on record as well :)

I hope this helps address some of your concerns!
Yes, mostly :P Thanks again for taking the time. Now on to some gripes about add-on stores.

It is very difficult to navigate, and it is getting worse as the number of modules increases. Every time you move the mouse some image pops up. Pages are cluttered with unnecessary eye-candy; but the module presentation leaves much to be desired.

It is very difficult to find a specific module even when you know the name of it and familiar with the add-ons site (search fails more often than not). I sent a client to purchase a module, and received word half an hour later that he could not find the module. It took me 10 minutes to locate the link for it.

The task is almost impossible when you only have a vague idea what you are looking for, unless you have several hours to spend browsing the store and read description of each and every module.

There is not enough info on individual modules from the buyer's point of view. How many times was it sold? What are other users saying about this module? Does developer respond to emails, fix problems, active in user forums? What other modules the developer of this specific module have available in the stores?

Who is this community? S/he seems to have developed about 99% of the modules in the store :) I realize this is to protect PrestaShop's interest but it could be achieved without lumping all modules under the same developer name so the developers could develop a following as well.

I would love to see an organization similar to that of Firefox add-ons site, navigation-wise and information-wise, where you get the info about an add-on from the horse's mouth; the user and not the person trying to sell you the module. The existing star system is nowhere near enough.

I have come across some very negative discussion at various places on internet about the add-ons store and its shortcoming is giving the brand a bad name. Imagine the situation where you recommend PrestaShop to a client and receive an email back the next day with a link to such a LinkedIn or FB page.

Thanks for listening.

I do have examples to the contrary. I will leave it at that. Maybe a reminder to everyone reviewing modules this is the case would be helpful.

As it turns out, I was provided with incorrect information on that point and you are correct. There are a few types of modules where it appears that our team does reject modules due to the pure quantity already available, and I am in the process of gathering that list and will come back to post it here.

As for your other questions, hopefully I can provide answers to those as well based on my latest conversations with the team:

It is very difficult to navigate, and it is getting worse as the number of modules increases. Every time you move the mouse some image pops up. Pages are cluttered with unnecessary eye-candy; but the module presentation leaves much to be desired. It is very difficult to find a specific module even when you know the name of it and familiar with the add-ons site (search fails more often than not). I sent a client to purchase a module, and received word half an hour later that he could not find the module. It took me 10 minutes to locate the link for it. The task is almost impossible when you only have a vague idea what you are looking for, unless you have several hours to spend browsing the store and read description of each and every module.

We agree, and we've been working for over 3 months on a new menu which will come out soon. The new menu has significantly more categories, which will reduce the time spent looking for individual modules.

There is not enough info on individual modules from the buyer's point of view. How many times was it sold? What are other users saying about this module? Does developer respond to emails, fix problems, active in user forums? What other modules the developer of this specific module have available in the stores? I would love to see an organization similar to that of Firefox add-ons site, navigation-wise and information-wise, where you get the info about an add-on from the horse's mouth; the user and not the person trying to sell you the module. The existing star system is nowhere near enough.

We've already done some work on this, but again, we cannot talk much about it until we get the approval from higher up to proceed with these improvements.

I have come across some very negative discussion at various places on internet about the add-ons store and its shortcoming is giving the brand a bad name.

We do see these, and unfortunately the vast majority of them involve situations where the user in question did not try going through us to get assistance with his or her issue. As I'm sure you're aware, we try to be very proactive in these situations, but we can't really respond to every single one, especially if the person who originally complained doesn't respond to our request for more information. However, we do hear these concerns, and it is always our goal to address them in the best way for our entire community, not just an individual.

I remember you (and many others) being very critical about different aspects of our website and these forums in the past. Personally, I believe we did a pretty good job of addressing many of those in the release of the new version of our site a few months ago, and we continue to do so whenever something new is brought to our attention. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to do the same with our Addons store.

-Mike

...I was provided with incorrect information...There are a few types of modules where it appears that our team does reject modules due to the pure quantity already available, and I am in the process of gathering that list and will come back to post it here.

Thanks. I am looking forward to seeing the list.

I can see the reasoning behind limiting the number of similar modules. But I still wonder if it is wise to reject a module just by its type without taking into account the compatibility, quality of the code, responsiveness of developer to support requests, potential popularity, up-to-dateness etc etc. It may be the case that a buyer is left with an inferior selection than would be otherwise if those rejected modules were in add-ons.

As an afterthought, with this decision you may also be unwillingly creating an environment where the module positions in add-ons are traded in black-market. I have one of not-anymore-accepted type of module in the add-ons, pay me $x and I will put your same type of module in its place.

Edited by phrasespot (see edit history)
  • Like 1

But I still wonder if it is wise to reject a module just by its type without taking into account the compatibility, quality of the code, responsiveness of developer to support requests, potential popularity, up-to-dateness etc etc. It may be the case that a buyer is left with an inferior selection than would be otherwise if those rejected modules were in add-ons.

We have some ideas to prevent this kind of situation (to be left with an inferior selection) but do not hesitate to share your thoughts about it!

The more ideas we get the better the solution will be.

do not hesitate to share your thoughts about it!

I would love to but I cannot see how one could decide without accepting them all and then trimming the ones that are not updated enough, gets less favorable feedback from users etc. Comparison made on any other basis will have conflict of interest creep in.

• Like 1

Hello,

Great thread. I was wondering if i could just clarify:

We do not reject any modules because too many of that type have already been submitted. It's definitely in the contributor's best interest to submit something new and awesome, but if you want to submit another version of something we already have available on the Addons store, you're more than welcome to do so.

So, in theory, if I find a module I want and it's incredibly overpriced I could build my own and sell it at a lower price?

Hello, Great thread. I was wondering if i could just clarify: So, in theory, if I find a module I want and it's incredibly overpriced I could build my own and sell it at a lower price?

Hi Evolver,

Yes you can as long as it is not a direct copy/paste of someone else module :).

Excellent!

If it wasn't for the price of some the addons I would use Prestashop without question. But if I find the same addon for a different cart and it costs 5x less then I don't have much choice.

I'll try some tinkering.

I like the smoothness of 1.5 btw, keep up the great work.

Edited by Evolver (see edit history)

If it wasn't for the price of some the addons I would use Prestashop without question. But if I find the same addon for a different cart and it costs 5x less then I don't have much choice.

Hi.

You are right, but unfortunately developers can't do much about this, as they are forced to use a minimal price for their modules on addons. This fact sometimes looses value over price, and this is why we - and sure others too - did not submitted some of our modules here on addons because they simply do not worth the (minimal) money. So we just sell these via our own stores for a few bucks, giving you a good reason to always keep an eye on the developers main website!

Cheers!

There is not enough info on individual modules from the buyer's point of view. How many times was it sold? What are other users saying about this module? Does developer respond to emails, fix problems, active in user forums? What other modules the developer of this specific module have available in the stores?

Hi

This could mislead buyers, because a buyer ALWAYS believes another buyer and not the developer! One bad sentence could mean huge losses for the developer. This could be done only in some clever way, when the developer has a - visible - option to respond, and mark problems as eg "Solved".

Just imagine the number of shops out there, and how many of them are customized code level, not just looks. You cannot write a perfect module (specially if is a complex one requiring core modifications), suitable for all edits made by the client, so compatibility issues will always rise from time to time, and must be handled by developer. And this should be reflected in the rating system: did the developer solved the issue? Did he adapted the module to properly work? Did he agreed to refund if he could not do it? All could be positive feedback for the developer if buyer answers yes. But if not? Hot area again!

So idea is good, but must be adapted to reflect both developer and buyer POW, otherwise will mislead!

Cheers!

Today my theme was accepted, and again it appears on NINE!!! page, after all templatemonster's themes. I think it's a unfair for contributors. If theme is "new" it must appear on the first page.

PrestaShop-themes-and-templates-for-your-online-store-PrestaShop.png

Edited by Marek Mnishek (see edit history)

I believe, you are able to sell your module in both the Add-On Store and your own website.

Yes you can, but if on both, than the same price must be used. And - from our point of view - it is totally unethical to ask 30€ for a module worth only 5€, just because there is a minimal fee on addons! So we better not list. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Yes you can, but if on both, than the same price must be used. And - from our point of view - it is totally unethical to ask 30€ for a module worth only 5€, just because there is a minimal fee on addons! So we better not list. Simple as that.

I have the same situation. I want to sell our theme without prestashop fee 30%, but I can't do this. It is unfair for our customers.

• Like 1

Today my theme was accepted, and again it appears on NINE!!! page, after all templatemonster's themes. I think it's a unfair for contributors. If theme is "new" it must appear on the first page.

Hi,

It's the same for me :(

It's actually unfair for contributors who often offer a service more qualitative than template monster ...

It's actually unfair for contributors who often offer a service more qualitative than template monster ...

Most probably they have an agreement, so not much you can do about it.

But in this case all the templates/modules listed in front should have a "featured" or "reccommended" marker, and customers to be able to (re)list / filter using multple options: alphabetically, by price, by date OR featured first. Than would be fair to ALL!

EG look what google does to payed results: they list in in the right or in the top with a marked background, so you can make the difference.

But in this case all the templates/modules listed in front should have a "featured" or "reccommended" marker, and customers to be able to (re)list / filter using multple options: alphabetically, by price, by date OR featured first. Than would be fair to ALL!

And by number of downloads/rating

Someone has such problem? Or i'm alone?

it's not a problem, it's normal

it's not a problem, it's normal

You think it's normal when new theme appearing on the nine page of new products? Strange.

Maybe it's strange but it's normal.

The templates are in the queue for verification by prestashop team. Adding new themes by users = new templates in the queue.

Sometimes templates added earlier, are not verified earlier than templates added later. It's strange, but this system works exactly as I say... I've got the same "problem" with my modules.

When I creating new theme/module I want a sales, I think all developers also want it. But when the theme/module is not on the first page the sales are less, when on the first page. So the time when theme on the first page is a chance to get more sales.

I do not care how this system works, I just think, that new products must appear on the first page, and it's absolutely logical.

Sorry for my bad english :)

Edited by Marek Mnishek (see edit history)

That sentance is full of CRAP (yes, big letters!). I did one other payment module - there was only on of that kind in the market, developed by you - PrestaShop. Now I wanted to add my own a slightly different (but same in how it works) and got an rejected with something like this: "We don't accept more in that kind of modules to our marketplace". The whole reason I think is - I made the same module and wanted way less money for it than you.. What else to think - You guys are just afraid of competition, nothing more.

Edited by SiMka (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's also their site to do with what they please. You're a guest. Nothing more.

Yes, sure I am - then why tell something that's not true, eh?

How do you come up with this stuff? This might have been the case in the good old days when we all used to live in caves, but since the establishment of law there are things called verbal and written contracts. The moment Prestashop accepts a person as a seller on their site it establishes a form of at least a verbal contract. This gives both the seller and Prestashop rights and responsibilities limited by the terms of the contract and the governing law. Whether or not Prestashop would honor the contract is another matter, but in any case just because Prestashop owns the site does not mean they can do anything they want.

Even if a seller was no more than a guest, it would still give him some rights.

And leaving all the legality aside, a developer has still a lot of leverage. If you have not noticed there are more than enough merchants but nowhere enough developers. If Prestashop looses its credibility as a responsible and fair agent for developers, how do you think the developers will respond?

• Like 3