Can one sub-category be linked to several parent categories ?

Hi,

Let's take an example

I have 2 main categories : A, B

I would like the sub category A1 can be reached by the visitor, both from category A and B.

In the back office it seems that one sub category can only be related to one parent category.

Does anyone know how to link one sub-category to several parent categories ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Patrick

Duplicate the sub-category A1 of category A under category B and when adding products select the checkbox for both categories. For exisiting products in sub-category A1 of category A visit each product and add them to the sub-category A1 of category B as well (or do it directly on the DB)

I am not sure what you mean.

Creating a category is one of the simplest operations. Back Office > Catalog > Add a new subcategory, enter a name and description, select a parent category, add an image etc. Evertything is self-explanatory.

In the case of duplicating an exisitng category it is even simpler as you have the description already written in original you can C&P.

I guess if you want an even simpler way you could ask someone else to do it for you.

Sorry if my question was unclear.

When wanting to duplicate a product, one just needs to click on the "duplicate" icon.

I wonder whether there was a similar method tu duplicate a category.

So, I will duplicate a sub category by copying and pasting the various related information (title, description, keywords, image etc...)

Thank you again for the time you took to reply to my questions.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

1. Duplicate content penalty is a myth. See http://support.googl...en&answer=66359

The link you provided seems to contradict that statement:

Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. ...However, if our review indicated that you engaged in deceptive practices and your site has been removed from our search results [my emphasis]

Hi,

How can I link the same sub-categories to all parent categories.

I have lots of categories. And lots of sub-categories that must be linked to all parent categories.

For instance:

Category A

....................Z1

..........................Z1a

....................Z2

..........................Z2a

....................Z3

..........................Z3a

Category B

....................Z1

....................Z2

....................Z3

Category C

....................Z1

....................Z2

....................Z3

Thank you in advance

Edited by Peda (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

OMG... do you mean that if I want to sell wines... and I create 1 category for Red Wines and 1 for an Italian Region, for example... If I associate the product to both the categories I cannot link directly the users to a page where the products are filtered by both the categories?

I want users to see:

- Wines that are Red and from a particular region

Shall I create the same subcategories under Red and Whites wines with all the regions? It seems to me very very untidy...

And stupid...

And a lot of unuseful tables in my DB... :(

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hmm.. What about 301 redirecting?

I sometimes need to have Subcat C as child to both Cat A and Cat B.

So I assign Subcat C to Cat A. 

I then create Subcat D and put this under Cat B.

Then I 301 redirect Subcat D to point to Subcat C using either .htaccess or some redirect module.

Then Subcat D will function as a link to Subcat C, but visible as a subcategory under Cat B - with no need write category description, no need to place any products in it - just leave it alone, redirected to the real sub-category. And both Cat A and Cat B will have it's needed subcategories in place.

• 1 year later...