Good example from Tomatocart Online Translator

Hello.

I've been using Prestashop for a couple of years, I'm satisfied, but now since I will build another online shop I decided to try out other open-source alternatives.

Since my shop is in Portuguese I had a special attention to the community behind those softwares and it's ability to keep translations updated.

I tried very briefly:

ZenCart (poor translations; small community)

OpenCart (poor translations; community not efficiently organized)

Magento (changing language didn't work without using a workaround posted in the forum)

TomatoCart (good translations despite small community; cool looking back-office, but not productive)

(All of those, in my opinion, produce better looking shops than Prestashop, especially Magento and TomatoCart).

What surprised me was that the TomatoCart community despite being very small in comparison to Prestashop or the other alternatives, had great translations in many languages, because it was organized in a very easy way to anyone to contribute.

Check the online translation tool they use:

http://tomatocart.com/translator/

If Prestashop had a useful translating tool like that I would be happy to help improving the Portuguese translation. I have no doubt that Prestashop would gain many translators.

Overall I decided that Prestashop was the best tool available for my purposes. I really think it has the best community (hence potential) and it's the only one to show shipping costs in the shopping cart. I just miss the poll/survey module in TomatoCart that in Prestashop is not free.

If Prestashop takes advantage of its great community by making easier to contribute it will evolve much faster.

Sorry for my bad english, but I hope you can understand my point.