mnrbig

Royal Mail shipping

Hi

Brilliant piece of software. Thanks to all who contribute. Is there a Royal Mail Shipping module? If not, how do we integrate royal mail into prestshop?

Thanks.

hi ive posted on getacoder.com and somebody has posted a bid for $200.00 for this so if we get more people we could all pay abit towards it.

A quick question? What would you need a dedicated royal mail option for?

Cant you just set up the weights of your items, and set weight restrictions etc?

Just that is what I have done... took a while, maybe 2-3 hours, but didnt cost $200.

Apologies if i've got the wrong idea

Hi,
yes, i have done it based on weight restrictions.
but for instance first class insurance only covers £39.
special delivery 1pm covers £500

so lets say someone orders £50 worth if stuff, it should automatically disgard first class for posting, as the insurance doesnt cover it and jump to special delivery which covers the items .
then lets say someone orders £90 of stuff and choses standard parcels as its cheaper for for larger items. it should then automatically add £1 to the postage cost to bump up the insurance to cover £100 woth of stuff

then lets say they live in scotland, some services have a "fuel surcharge" which has to be considered and so forth.

i think royal mails services are very complicated, but this is how they do things...

i hope it makes sence

Why do you not simplify the whole process and have free shipping in the UK.
I changed all my prices recently and made the UK free delivery, obviously added a little to each item for the free postage, and then charge a rate for outside UK.
Makes the website simple for the customer, they know what the cost is without adding to the basket and going through checkout only to discover huge fees for shipping.
Possibly something for you to have a look at.

Ever since I started running my websites I have always had a page up saying that our shipping charges are what we are charged. Bigstef you are not giving free shipping because you have put an excess on your products but you have, if I have read correctly, also put a charge on for overseas customers who pay shipping.

I have been told in the past that other sites offer free shipping and pointed out that they do exactly what you do and they usually see what I am saying. I also politely ask my customers that say I should give free shipping to point me in the direction where I can get it and I will give it to them.

Another point is returns. If your customer returns because they don't want it then you can with hold the shipping charge. You can't if you don't charge it.

I am now looking at having this part of PS changed so that I can set up shipping by weight but use the shipping by cost also. Instead of PS looking at both options and deciding that if there is either option available it will use the method I am hoping to have it coded so that my site will look at both options and only allow if both are available.

Of course it could possibly be done by adding code to the method and disabling it if the maximum cost is exceeded as my current store works now but I am not a coder and have asked one to look into it for me.

Another point is returns. If your customer returns because they don't want it then you can with hold the shipping charge. You can't if you don't charge it.

Under the Distance Selling Regulations you have to refund the whole amount paid for an order being returned including their postage they paid.
To withhold the payment is illegal in the UK so it makes no difference if the cost of the shipping is in the price of the goods.

Bigstef.

Unless I am mistaken you don't have to refund the postage if they simply don't want the product, only if it is faulty or damaged.

Unfortunately you are wrong.
I would suggest you have a look at the Distance Selling Regulations. If a customer changes their mind then you must refund their payment in full.
Here is the link for the regulations.
DSR Regulationsw

Thanks for that info Bigstef.

TBH I didn't know that as it doesn't affect me that much but I was under the impression that it shouldn't cost the business just because a customer decides they have changed their mind.

Just shows how wrong you can be.

No wonder it is so hard for small businesses.

I have been using my mod on one of my websites with success but am changing it to work with V1.3 but sorry it won't be a free mod. I have had a few mods built for PS including import export of shipping values which I have used as well but have waited for V1.3 to be released.

I have been using my mod on one of my websites with success but am changing it to work with V1.3 but sorry it won't be a free mod. I have had a few mods built for PS including import export of shipping values which I have used as well but have waited for V1.3 to be released.

which module would this be?

I'm still interested in a royal mail module of some description (till i can find someone to replace them with who has competitive pricing and a simpler pricing structure). The website has taken a back seat until i can find me a manufacturer for my ideas...

bump for the royal mail shipping! get on it prestadevelopers! the uk is your neighbour xD

Unfortunately you are wrong.
I would suggest you have a look at the Distance Selling Regulations. If a customer changes their mind then you must refund their payment in full.
Here is the link for the regulations.
DSR Regulationsw

Yes this is the case but only if the customer notify you in writing within 7 days of receiving the item (a phone call is not acceptable) and you can insist the customer has to return the item to you at there own cost before refunding the item, and if they are outside the 7 day period you can refuse to accept a return or offer them store credit or even charge a restock fee.
Also if you offer a free economy delivery with your item, but also as an optional extra offer another delivery option such as next working day for an extra charge. You only have to refund the cost of the product not the optional extra delivery charge as this is classed as a seperate contract and not covered under the DSR.

Also the DSR doesn't apply to a business to business transactions or items collected in person.

But bear in mind that even though returns under the DSR are a pain in the bum as it costs you money for the customer to 'trail' the items. If you offer good customer service and no qubbles returns that customer may return in future and purchase a differnet product knowing that your company offers goods CS. I have actually had a few customers who returned items because they didn't like the particular product they got but because we dealt with it swiftly they ordered a different product and left us a good review on googlecheckout

Interesting conversation, someone was talking about returns there. this a government website on it. Its what I thought:

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses/overview

I was told that by Streamline and my merchant secure trading because I was concerned about postage as well. As long as its in your terms they pay the postage. That is if it is not damaged. Ancient wisdom have the right idea. Don't even ask for it back. As long as you have pictures of the damage goods, of the customer, the invoice, and the date of delivery, then the wholesaler with credit your account. they can ask for a refund within 14 days, but its down to the companies discretion, whether we pay the postage. This is Acinet Wisdoms site:

https://www.ancientwisdom.biz/termsandconditions

Feel free to read.

As long as its in your terms your covered.

The EU are not stupid, if its damaged yes, but youd have every customer complaining, Read the rules. Good luck BTW has anybody found a royal module for 1.6.0.9 and a securew trading module for the same version if you give a shout happy trading.

I agree.
I link to regulation #13a which says that I can't refund a service.
If anyone is interested, this is the text & link I use.

You pay

• Return delivery which is costed on XXX.com/returns.htm
  • Please enclose a note asking for a refund or replacement size.
  • Please return shoes in a condition you would accept yourself if buying new.
  • There is no fixed deadline nor rule about the condition of the box, but we try to re-use them.

We pay

• refund of the original price - usually back onto your card
  • outbound postage of the replacement, if we have it available, at the cheapest rate
  • Airmail replacements to Australasia and the Americas are a special case.
    Most people prefer to pay £5 to upgrade to airmail.
    Some are happy with cheap green 12 or 8 week surface mail which we pay for
    . [i think this bit is out of date now there's no cheap surface mail]

We have to say

• Whether the consumer or the supplier would be responsible for the cost of returning.
    It's you, because we sell mainly European-made products on quite low margins; that's part of the deal.
    Obviously you can't return a postal service under section #13a of the Distance Selling Regulations
  • We have to say where the return address is.
    Our vegan shoes London return address is [bla]
  • Usually your shoes come with a chit that says
    "please return with a note for refund or replacement" and the address in large letters
    American and Australian customers get a reminder about the cost of airmail replacements, and a request to write "returns - no tariff due" or such on the customs sticker to avoid tariffs on parcels valued over £18.

Edited by veganline (see edit history)