[SOLVED] TECHNICAL ERROR [object XMLHttpRequest] when entering the Modules Tab Prestashop 1.4.7

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Prestashop and just had Prestashop 1.4.7 freshly installed. I haven't installed any other version previously. I haven't even entered a single product nor modified anything, and yet I've already found myself an error.

Every time when I click on the Modules Tab in the Back Office, an error message pops up: TECHNICAL ERROR [object XMLHttpRequest]. I've attached a screenshot so that you guys can see what I mean.

I saw a few other people who had the same error solve theirs by replacing the Tools.php file in "your shop/classes/Tools.php" with another: http://forge.prestas...tream-issue-tab. I tried this and it didn't work for me.

Anyone else that had this problem solved it other than replacing the "Tools.php" file? Or anyone have any ideas on how to solve this error? Please share!

Thanks a lot! :lol:

TECHNICAL ERRORobject XMLHttpRequest.bmp

Hi Xara,

First of all, welcome to PrestaShop! If replacing the tools.php file does not resolve your issue (please be sure you've cleared your cache to ensure you're seeing the latest version of your site), this may be a hosting issue. Who is your hosting provider? You can see this bug report for a suggestion on how to fix this if it is in fact a hosting issue.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for the welcome and your suggestion! Unfortunately for me, I contacted my web hosting provider and they said that the PHP mbstring module is already enabled. A screenshot was included.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=857d6efdbb&view=att&th=1360b3adafd97030&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9UOkAPf85NQp2YRZLavmg4&sadet=1331636089153&sads=hByiJMij00FooywKzhn_UxbEAtc&sadssc=1

I also tried the alternative solution suggested in the bug report you linked me to, but that also failed to rid me of the error.

I found another bug report with potential solutions here: http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFI-4900. However, all 3 solutions didn't work for me as well.

By the way, I cleared my cache every time I checked on the Modules Tab in the Prestashop BO.

I really want to use Prestashop. Any more suggestions, anyone? Please help! :(

Hi Xara,

Unfortunately, I'm not able to open your screenshot because I'm not logged into your Gmail account :P. Could you please use our attachment system after clicking on the "More Reply Options" so that I could take a look at this for you?

Additionally, who is your hosting provider? And did they install it for you, or did you do it yourself?

-Mike

Hi Mike!

Oops, sorry about that link. :rolleyes: I was wondering how to attach a picture in my last post.

So here's the attachment my web hosting provider sent me.

My web host is a local hosting company from my country: http://www.internet-webhosting.com/. Don't think you'd have heard of it.

I did the installation myself using Softaculous. I uninstalled and installed Prestashop a few times using Softaculous, but the error persisted. I would have tried uninstalling and re-installing Prestashop using a downloaded copy, however, the installation instructions seemed to be a bit hard for a noob like me! So hopefully the error isn't due to me using the Softaculous as an installer.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it! :)

post-337882-0-91214400-1331653053_thumb.png

Hi Xara,

As a matter of fact, I have seen errors in the past due to users installing through Softaculous. If you speak with your hosting provider and ensure that you have the proper FTP and Database login credentials, I promise you the installation process is nowhere near as daunting as it may look at first. If you would like, you can even see a video guide for the process here.

I hope this helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Sweet success! :lol:

I re-installed Prestashop according to the video you linked me to. The "System Compatibility" page during the installation made me realised that the PHP magic quotes option was turned on in my case. The Softaculous installation doesn't let you see this page.

So I emailed my hosting provider and asked for the option to be switched off. After they switched it off, I finished the Prestashop installation. When I logged into my BO and clicked on the Modules Tab, the error was gone!

So to anyone who has this same problem, try to manually install Prestashop and make sure all the settings in the system compatibility page are checked before trying all the other possible solutions.

And to Mike, thank you so much for your help! Really can't thank you enough! :D

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just an update: I had to re-install Prestashop a few hours after I got rid of the original error due to an unrelated problem to save myself the hassle of finding a solution for a new one (although the Prestashop 1.5 default theme was compatible with PS 1.4.5 and up, it broke my Prestashop! :blink: ).

I decided to try installing Prestashop again using Softaculous because I was curious whether it was the PHP magic quotes being on or my using Softaculous that was the original problem. As it turns out, my installation turned out to be error-free.

So I'd still recommend anyone that have this problem to try manually install Prestashop and to make sure all settings in the "System Compability" page are checked (you won't be able to view this page if you used a script like Softaculous to install), including the ones listed under "Optional Settings". Turns out, they're not so "optional" after all! :lol: