VAT number

Hello Prestashop users..

I`m seller based in EU and would like to have option that if buyer is from EU and enters his VAT number invoice automatically is calculated with 0% VAT. Can you please advise if there is any modules for this?

Regars, Moon

You can set all the necessary taxes from the back office of your PrestaShop. Taxes are based on the delivery or invoice address of the customer, depending on the settings of your store.

You can set the taxes so that a different tax is applied according to the address of the customer. For example, if you want customers from E.U. countries to shop without being taxed, create a tax rule from the back office of your store (Payment tab>Tax Rules sub-tab>Add new button). Then on the screen with the settings for the new tax rule you'll see several tabs grouping the countries from the different continents/regions. There's a tab Europe which is for European countries in the E.U. Click on that tab and set the drop-down menus for the countries to No Tax. Then save the tax rule. Now you can apply this tax rule when you create or edit products.

You can use the same tax rule to set taxes for countries outside the E.U. Just create the particular tax (Payments tab>Taxes sub-tab). Then edit the same tax rule and set the tax for the particular country to the one you created.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Prestashop users..

I`m seller based in EU and would like to have option that if buyer is from EU and enters his VAT number invoice automatically is calculated with 0% VAT. Can you please advise if there is any modules for this?

Regars, Moon

why don't you calculate vat for EU users? only companies must be receive invoices without vat, but consumer user need to pay the vat

• 10 months later...
why don't you calculate vat for EU users? only companies must be receive invoices without vat, but consumer user need to pay the vat

You're right. But I still can't see the solution for that in Prestashop. Does anyone have it resolved? The key is that it may only be applied when country belongs to EU and VAT No for company is provided.

C'mon! this is he main functionality for EU sellers! Prestashop developers - please help !!!

Yes. In My country VAT tax is 23%. Others have 15%-27%. People like to buy without 23% VAT if they may pay only 15% in their own country.

Moreover - many companies don't pay this tax at all due to well VAT balance. In this case they just may pay 23% less.

Thats the need!

For export purposes outside EU too!

Edited by funcker (see edit history)

Yes, youre right. VAT have to payed anyway, but this is the convenience for the buyer.

1. If he pays, he may pay less than 23%

2. Instead of paying VAT and then claim for return it he just don't pay it at all instantly.

I cannot set fixed rate for the country because this applies only to companies. Others must be charged with VAT.

Edited by funcker (see edit history)

But I dont understand?

If you charge me a price EX VAT. How can you send me a bill later showing the VAT I ow or need to claim back? I can't?

Might be different in the EU but within the UK if your VAT registered you cant pick and choose who you charge VAT to you can't give them the option to not pay it either...

Edited by cocothecat (see edit history)

YEs,

Situaton now looks like there are two option available:

1. Only business customers by forcing business registrations only and sell without VAT to EU countries

2. Allowing sales to all customers (b2b sales + non business customers sales) without option to omit VAT.

This is because the tax rules in Prestashop are aplicable only to countries. No other factors are taken into account.

Majority of the e-companies sell to business and non business customers as well. I would like to give possibility to omit VAT for my business customers without excluding non-business customers from buying in my shop.

Why it is so important to sellers like me?

Selling with no charges of VAT is a normal situation among companies from different countries. It reduces cash flow and allows companies to pay VAT in their own country. This is not only because of the different VAT tax rates but also because of national preferences (most people prefer paying taxes to own government not to other country's government)

Is there any simple solution for that?

Please advice anybody

• 3 weeks later...

@funcker you might want to review the standard module (Prestashop 1.5.4):

European VAT number

Developed by :PrestaShop| Version :1.2 | Category :Billing and Invoicing

Description : Enable entering of the VAT intra-community number when creating the address (You must fill in the company field to allow keyboarding VAT number)

Please share if this is what you are looking for.

Thank you shopimport.nl

But does it automaticaly give an option to charge or not to charge VAT for the customer? Or entering VAT during registration classifies this customer as a business kind and dont charge him?

I've seen some commercial module that can automatically check and validate the VAT number in official EU comission site. It automatically assign this customer to proper group.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I need to solve same thing as @funckner is trying to solve. I need to figure out hot to charge or not to charge VAT to my clinets. There are few situations that can occur and I need to solve them:

1) end-user from my country will buy from me = I will charge VAT

2) company (with valid VAT ID or with no VAT ID) from my country will buy from me = I will charge VAT

3) end-user from other EU country will buy from me = I will charge VAT

4) end-user from non-EU country will buy from me = I will not charge VAT (at least I hope so)

5) company from other EU country and with valid VAT ID number will buy from me = I will not charge VAT

6) company from other EU country and with no VAT ID number will buy from me = I will charge VAT

7) company from non-EU country will buy from me = I will not charge VAT

I need t solve situation 5) and 6). Is there a solution for this?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi!

I got a similar problem:

My company is based in Sweden; I configured the different VAT %iges (called Moms); Swedish/EU tax law requires me to charge tax to all buyers from EU countries - as well from Swedish buyers; There is only one exeption: if a company outside of Sweden can provide a valid and active international tax registration number. 

But what happens is, that my shop (www.kingsofsweden.com) is showing the prices excl. VAT (even if I select "Tax included" on "Price display method" in customers/groups/customers,visitors,guests).

Once I select "Tax excluded", the tax displays right INCLUDED. So there must be a trasnlation error I presume.

BUT: when the customer proceedes with the order and wants to check out, at the final step before paying, the prices are displayed again excluded Tax....!!!!

Anybody knows what is wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Brgds., Thomas

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone explain me what's "Customer's Country" in "European VAT number" module?

We are UK based company and we're currently setting up a multistore (EU and UK).

We still want to charge (or not) VAT depending on the customer's country, but this field is little bit confusing.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here, I'm a little bit confused and I need the same functionality. Can someone explain if "european vat number" module automatically add the 0 vat rule for UE companies and where is the programming code or backend configuration that allow this?

Thanks

Brennino

Oh, it is really "Customers' country" in v1.6. The same field is called "Your country" in previous versions.

Simply, this is the seller country. You need to fill in this because the prices for all customers who belongs to your own country must be tax including.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I would like to do the same as in first post.

I would need a module that would make 0% VAT for a company with valid VAT or tax registration number.

I am aware of ability to make different percent of VAT for country, but this rule applies to both customer and bussinesses. I need a 0% only for companies.

Maybe there's some better modules than the ones outlined here?

Hi again everybody. 

I would like to inform, that the "European VAT number" module privided with the latest Prestashop solves my issue pefrectly. 

I've been using it for months and meets all my requirements . If it is switched on, all EU business customers with valid VAT no.  are not charged VAT. EU VAT Number is validated automatically on VIES website during client registration in my shop)

Of course companies from my country are not eligible to pay 0% VAT. And this is exactly how this module should work :) 

"Customers' country" field is very confusing, I agree. The label is not named clear enough. But remember to fill it with the name of the country your shop is registered. That's all. 

Thank you all Prestashop developers involved in this module.

Great job

• 11 months later...

Hi, i have the same problem. 

I must disable TAX for company buyer in my shop when they insert their VAT NUMBER.

anyone can help me? please

• 2 years later...

wow, gets to me that some people are saying you have to pay VAT, yes normal customers have to pay VAT, but if you are a company selling to another company within the EU there is a 0% VAT example: company A: BASED IN BELGIUM BUYING FROM COMPANY B: IN UNITED KINGDOM If you put VAT number there should be 0% VAT and billing should be with VAT ecluded !!

I would like to sell to both normal customers and companies too and i am also having this issue where if someone puts there VAT number it still show the full amount with VAT included in payment after checkout

11 hours ago, mktm20111 said:

wow, gets to me that some people are saying you have to pay VAT, yes normal customers have to pay VAT, but if you are a company selling to another company within the EU there is a 0% VAT example: company A: BASED IN BELGIUM BUYING FROM COMPANY B: IN UNITED KINGDOM If you put VAT number there should be 0% VAT and billing should be with VAT ecluded !!

I would like to sell to both normal customers and companies too and i am also having this issue where if someone puts there VAT number it still show the full amount with VAT included in payment after checkout

Did you enable 'Enable B2B mode' in the Customer Settings menu? I didn't need myself but I presume it will be prepared for your 0% tax within Europe which indeed is a standard rule. I think it is called intra-Community supply.

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2018 at 12:24 PM, Marty70 said:

Its not B2B mode as I have this turned off ... I think it should just work if you enter anything in the VAT number field, assuming you are registered in an EU country.

Matthew

sinolec.co.uk

It doesn't work.  I too need this functionality.  Did anyone find a solution? I'm confused why this isn't included in Prestashop already.

• 1 year later...