Forum Community Support Discussion

AFemaleProdigy

Question

I have posted several different questions about different topics over a period of time. I asked the questions only after scouring your forums to find solutions myself. I am finding that there are a lot of people that get ignored on here. A lot of them with the same issues that I have. Even multiple people posting in the same thread that they all have the same problem and no one answers them. I am a bit disappointed by the help that is NOT offered here.

I have been a member of vBulletin.org and vbulletin.com support forums for many many years. I contribute what I can to help others, as well as ask for help myself. They have the best support forums I have ever used. Everyone gets helped there. Not like here.

I love the Prestashop product. I use it with all of my customer's websites. I am a website developer. But I cannot ever, for the life of me, get assistance here. It seems like support here was a lot better in 2009. I really think this needs to be improved. Only some problems get addressed in these forums.

• Like 1

44 answers to this question

Thanks everyone. I finally started to get a little bit of help on a couple of the topics I brought up. Still lacking on some though. No, I did not think to PM anyone in particular. I don't want to bother people that aren't interested. And yes, I do check the bug tracker depending on what I am asking. i actually added an item there too.

Hi AFemaleProdigy,

Well it can take a bit of time to have some answers. Sometimes the user who could help you is not connected or do not see your topic

You can also contact a moderator he may help you too and find a user who could.

So do not lose hope :).

@Peter, on which page did you fill this request?

The responses to my questions in the forums have picked up a bit. However, the bug tracker is really frustrating. I posted a pretty serious bug that other people have had problems with too, but were blown off when they asked about it. I too was blown off. I waited a long time, very patiently, for a response. The guy admitted that it was an issue with PrestaShop, but that it didn't happen often enough for anyone to bother trying to fix it. This error has cost me a lot of money and I am pretty angry about it. I blame the guy assigned to my case for his lack of initiative, more so than Prestashop though. But it is concerning that the issue has been around for a very long time and still has not been corrected.

Well, it looks like we are back to not responding again. I have had several posts about various issues and questions that have gone ignored for a long time. Many of them I finally solved myself after spending a ridiculous amount of time working on them. I am particularly annoyed that I have said I the Authnet module isn't working, I cannot process payments, and no one has said anything. That is a major problem, stopping all sales to my store.

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/198064-authorizenet-module-not-working/page__fromsearch__1

I definitely know exactly how you feel. There are so many topics on this forum that has many views and never get replied to. Maybe there should be instead of main topics to break it down just like a website with sub-categories that way it's a whole lot easier to find plus it won't be so bundled up.

Just a thought to the prestashop team

See there is a disconnect here. Prestashop software is free. So you are expecting a company that provides you something for free to pay people to staff a forum. Not to be cynical, but what is in it for them? The chance of giving more free software out?

Most of the people that help people in the forums are developers that do so because we like to give back. We don't do it because we are paid.

One thing I can say about me at least, is if I get the inference that someone is asking a easy question to fix a clients website, I usually do not help them. As a professional you should know the software you are using before you start charging people. Or be willing to pay someone to do things you cannot. I have several times, either because I cannot figure it out, or because when I factor my time of figuring it out, it is cheaper to pay someone that knows how to do it.

If you really need/want support and you have clients, buy a support package. That is one way prestashop makes money.

• Like 1

First of all, Designhaus, the websites I ask about here are my own personal stores that I have been working on customizing beyond what I normally offer to my clients. The ROTMG websites I reference on here belong to me, not clients. And in most cases, the only posts I get upset about not getting answers on are the ones where default functions are not working properly. I realize that asking for help with customizations is not a priority for anyone.

Second of all, I do not believe for one second that Prestashop is not making money. There is a huge library of paid modules and services. They also are affiliates for many major companies which I am sure they are getting a commission on promoting products for. Not to mention, the overall value of what they have developed. Someone, somewhere, is making money off of Prestashop. For those who contribute to Prestashop and get nothing back, well, that is understandable if they don't care much to respond.

Even so, if you want people to respect a product you are providing to the public, you should be prepared to support it and provide good customer service. Think about it... how far would a non-profit charity get if they just ignored everyone asking for help?? For the sake of product and business improvement, users like myself shouldn't be made to feel guilty for expressing their opinion on the quality of customer service.

Edited by AFemaleProdigy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

AFemaleProdigy,

Sorry I offended you, I wasn't actually referring to you. I was just saying my take on things.

Prestashop does make money on things, but I think it is fairly obvious that either they are not making enough money or they are not managing things correctly. Haven't you seen the problems they are having in the add-ons shop?

• Like 1

I grow weary of the 5% complaining....that they are not getting their issues (which they generally created on their own)...want it for free.and right now...

I find that most posts that don't get answered because the OP didn't take any time or effort to document it well enough so one must play 20 questions....more than half the posts are never even revisited by the OP...

there is a button at the top of this site...paid support....if you are not getting what you want from the community then you probably did not explain it well enough...many times what may be obvious to you is not from outside looking in...obvious to others as they don't have access to your website.

and more than likely since you are a female prodigy...many belive you will figure it out on your own...

if I was the OP, I'd change my handle to reflect something like half genius...hurry before I take it for myself...

• Like 1

AFemaleProdigy,

Sorry I offended you, I wasn't actually referring to you. I was just saying my take on things.

Prestashop does make money on things, but I think it is fairly obvious that either they are not making enough money or they are not managing things correctly. Haven't you seen the problems they are having in the add-ons shop?

No, I have not seen what you are talking about. What is going on?

I grow weary of the 5% complaining....that they are not getting their issues (which they generally created on their own)...want it for free.and right now...

I find that most posts that don't get answered because the OP didn't take any time or effort to document it well enough so one must play 20 questions....more than half the posts are never even revisited by the OP...

there is a button at the top of this site...paid support....if you are not getting what you want from the community then you probably did not explain it well enough...many times what may be obvious to you is not from outside looking in...obvious to others as they don't have access to your website.

and more than likely since you are a female prodigy...many belive you will figure it out on your own...

if I was the OP, I'd change my handle to reflect something like half genius...hurry before I take it for myself...

As I mentioned, my big issue is when there appears to be something that is malfunctioning. No one would be in the wrong for being upset about not getting support with an issue like that. It does not matter if you are providing a free service or not... if it is defunct, then there is some expectation that you fix it or help with a solution. Especially if it is something you plan to continue providing to people. Besides that, it is the consumer feedback that helps improve the product. The "squeaky wheel" is not always welcome, but at least it lets you know there is something that needs fixed that might otherwise be overlooked.

Of course people will not always explain everything perfectly. If I read someone's post and think I might half understand it, but need more information, then I ask the poster for more. I don't just turn my nose up at it because it wasn't complete or comprehensible enough for me.

As far as the crack on my username, a prodigy is defined as someone with exceptional talent at something. It is not an application for all things or even Prestashop. Everyone is great at something. If someone doesn't want to help me because of my name, well, that is just immature.

One thing I will point out while we are talking about it. I would dare to say that most of the people that develop with Prestashop for a living are not using 1.5 yet. As far as I am concerned it is not stable enough and I think quite a few people would agree with me in saying it would be a total nightmare to have clients on 1.5. That being said, that is why I haven't been answering questions about 1.5. I have a couple versions installed, but I haven't had too much time here lately to play with it.

On the other note about the addons site. I watch a man that bought one of the most expensive paypal modules on the market from the addons store make a charge back on it. http://www.prestashop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/200281-problem-with-prestashop-paypal-pro/ It was an internally developed module so Prestashop should have supported it. It wasn't that they couldn't fix his problem, it was that they wouldn't even contact him. Now imagine having paid $200 for something and not getting any support.

One thing I will point out while we are talking about it. I would dare to say that most of the people that develop with Prestashop for a living are not using 1.5 yet. As far as I am concerned it is not stable enough and I think quite a few people would agree with me in saying it would be a total nightmare to have clients on 1.5. That being said, that is why I haven't been answering questions about 1.5. I have a couple versions installed, but I haven't had too much time here lately to play with it.

On the other note about the addons site. I watch a man that bought one of the most expensive paypal modules on the market from the addons store make a charge back on it. http://www.prestasho...hop-paypal-pro/ It was an internally developed module so Prestashop should have supported it. It wasn't that they couldn't fix his problem, it was that they wouldn't even contact him. Now imagine having paid $200 for something and not getting any support.

I only have one personal installation of 1.5 for my own business. I have not installed it for any clients.

Yeah, I would be upset too if I paid that much money for something developed by PS and they did not support it!

Where did you get the 5% figure from? Bear in mind that the majority of people who are dissatisfied with a product will not complain at all, they will simply stop using it.

And whilst we are on the subject of documentation, why isn't the code in PS commented? Isn't this basic level programming, to comment your code? and why isn't there still a manual for the user or developer? I mean the guide that exists doesn't even explain how to do a basic refund?

I have previously complained about the lack of support that PS offers, and that there should at the least be some premium middle ground support, after all why make a product available and not support it fully, it's a bit of a bait and switch.

PS should put together a better structure to allow them to operate more support staff.

Not that I am ranting, as I am very much Pro-PS!!

Edited by Jimbola (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What would be a fair price for you? Per incident or per hour? And how much? There are plenty of developers here that know prestashop that might be interested.

I think that needs to come from them, I did propose that there should be a premium forum so people can get answers quicker

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/178839-premium-forum-for-quicker-answers/

but not many people were interested.

Personally I'm happy to pay a fair price for advice or a solution, but PS haven't really made this simple.

What short while i have been here i can tell you there is no much support by staff here or other members helping other members like you find in other shopping carts support forums.

These guys are paid to work for prestashop, and i think thats why they dont offer much in way of free support. My guess is they want everyone to pay for it it. Like they want people to pay big bux for features they should already be apart of the software by default.

Software has lots of potential but if they cant offer support, or features that should be default without charging like crazy for then it will never reach what it has the potential to be. Such as charging 200 for a paypal module to accept credit cards on your site. Why is that not a default feature and why are they charging us $200 bux for it when all other shoppig carts include it free.?

It seems like its just a big money grab and the ywant you to buy one of their support packages. Who has the money to do that after shelling out possible thousands of dollars to get some basic features?

Edited by Chris04626 (see edit history)

Ok, here are my feeling on the issue. The Prestashop pays developers to work on the software. They also pay them to post in the forum a bit from what I have seen. The way I look at things is Prestashop is a business, they have to make money. If they don't make money, the developers do not get paid, then they stop working on the software.

When I need something that is not included with Prestashop, I either buy a module or program it in myself if I can and it is worth doing. I have bought thousands of dollars of modules across dozens of shops and I have no problem buying them.

I used to be a developer years ago and I stopped for several years and opened up another type of company that was pretty successful. Everything of every feature I needed for a machine costed money. If a bought a machine and it was out of alignment, I would either have to fix it myself or pay a tech $125 an hr to fix it. This is the only industry that I have come across that people expect everything to be free.

You have to look at shopping cart software like cars. You buy one and some features are standard, you can buy another one for the same price and a different set of features are standard. That is just the way it works. A lot of the software packages that I see people talking about, I know are insecure. I read security reports, I am pretty swift at finding security bugs. I can tell you that I have only come across two other software pages that rival Prestashop and they are Magento and Netsuite. Magento is free with a huge community of paid modules. Netsuite and is between 10k and 100k just depending on your implementation.

The best piece of advise I got when I started my company was from my grandfather. He sat me down and told me you have to spend money to make money. That works on both sides of the table with e-commerce sites. Developers have to spend money on tools and software to make professional shops. Store owners have to spend money too to make their shops look professional.

Try thinking about things this way. When you look at something like the paypal module, say to yourself, how much more money will this make me. If it makes you more than you spend on it, it is usually worth it. Think about it like an employee. People don't hire employees to be nice, they do it for the expectation that they will make them money.

Well, they cannot charge a fee for the software and still be an oss, but they can charge for support. Maybe if they tried something like Magento does and have a community edition that is free and has forum support and then have a paid edition that costs more money and has support with it. What do you think about that?

I think they may be a good way to go for them, as long as they dont charge Megento prices lol. Alot of us who are wanting a store, are very small based businesses or just starting businesses. I get you have to spend money to make money and i have no problem with that. I just think there are some features that should be included that they are charging outrageous prices for.

Well, that kind of puts things in a hard place don't you think? Charge money for it, but don't charge the industry standard. But since you are comparing Prestashop to other applications like that, lets look at Magento, because it is a main rival.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/product/compare

Their free version does not seem to support, caching, store credit - rewards system, return management, private sales, minimum advertised prices, site access permissions. Those things are all standard in Prestashop. The $200 paypal module is a bit high, but there is a free paypal solution that comes with Prestashop, plus you can buy a 3rd party plugin that works with paypal pro for $50-75.

I think one thing that is often overlooked is their are some brilliant developers on the forum and many would probably offer incident based support if the price was fair. Most of them offer support for free on the forum in the first place.

Im looking more along the lines of like zencart. There forums have alot more people offering to help when there is an issue. I have a few open topics open here and haven't even had a reply. It is very stressful when your trying to configure your shop to test it out, but cant get some little answers to help you along the way without having to pay.

Like i say i think this cart is great and i do like the many features, but i think it sometimes makes things more confusing then it needs to be. Such as t oadd a product you have to enter in the name then save then open the tab for prices, save then add in seo. Why not have all this on one page? Then you need a module to enter text on the page.

Well, to be honest Prestashop is light years ahead of a cart like Zen Cart. It supports a lot of more advanced features than Zen Cart supports, the way they accomplish that is by paying talent to work on it.

While the way you mentioned might not be ideal to enter products, you can however use a csv to enter all of that information at one time for thousands of products. If you want to link to your other topics that you need help with I will answer them if I can. The post history only lets me see your last 5 posts, which most are in this thread.

I have some ideas based on my years of experience using forum support from other software providers, both paid and open source.

First, if you are providing any software regardless of paid or free, there is some expectation that support is free for resolving defects and problems with the application itself. This is the standard. As this is not the fault of the customer, but the developers of the software.

Free support should also be included for general usage questions. This is where better forum support is extremely beneficial. Especially if PS does not want to offer free phone or live chat.

For issues involving customization and trying to do things that PS does not do by default, there should be tiered levels of paid support. Priced according to the most common levels of technical difficulty.

What PS needs is to boost the support on these forums which would probably increase the popularity and downloads of PS, which would lead to more money in their pocket. More money in their pocket means more money for even better support. I am sure they have goals to make this the best software. They won't make the most of this if customers are not happy.

Suggestions to boost forum support without costing an arm and a leg:

I have run many forum communities and still do. One thing I have learned is that people get really serious and involved in forums where they are useful. People will often manage, moderate, and feed a forum community for little to no compensation. A little incentive will go a long way.

• Offer official moderator positions. Taking applications and promoting the position is beneficial. I bet you would get a surprising amount of applications.
  • Offer incentive for being a moderator. Example: option to include a small advertisement in their signature so they can earn money, allow them to participate in ad rotation in select spots on the website to earn money, or offer a discount code or coupon that could be used for buying modules.
  • Offer the above mentioned to regular users as well. Run a campaign to tell users that if they post X number of beneficial posts with certain requirements that they will be awarded with something.
  • For developers, provide some additional promotion of their modules, websites, and apps that could be throughout the website, in PS newsletters, and inline with their posts.

I think that making forum support better is not as hard as many people might think. I see a lot of people on here. I know for me personally, I am more inclined to contribute my knowledge when someone helps me out when I need it. Getting these people more involved in customizing and evolving PS and talking on these forums will help everyone. It will get the conversations flowing.

• Like 1

Well, that kind of puts things in a hard place don't you think? Charge money for it, but don't charge the industry standard. But since you are comparing Prestashop to other applications like that, lets look at Magento, because it is a main rival.

http://www.magentoco...product/compare

Their free version does not seem to support, caching, store credit - rewards system, return management, private sales, minimum advertised prices, site access permissions. Those things are all standard in Prestashop. The $200 paypal module is a bit high, but there is a free paypal solution that comes with Prestashop, plus you can buy a 3rd party plugin that works with paypal pro for $50-75.

I think one thing that is often overlooked is their are some brilliant developers on the forum and many would probably offer incident based support if the price was fair. Most of them offer support for free on the forum in the first place.

I don't think you should compare it to Magento, PrestaShop need to carve out it's own support structure that works for it's community,