Override model definition

I want to extend Product model by adding an extra text field. The ProductCore class contains static property $definition. How can I extend it in the overriden class without copypasting whole property or modifying the core class?

Thanks!

Hello,

for now there are no easy way to do this. But since $definition is public, you can do this in your override file :

<?php

ProductCore::$definition['fields']['my_custom_field'] = array('type' => ObjectModel::TYPE_STRING, 'validate' => 'isString');

class Product extends ProductCore
{
  /// My custom code
}

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hello PrestArchitecte!

This doesn't seem to work. The following gives me an error:

<?php
    AddressCore::$definition['fields']['contactemail'] => array('type' => ObjectModel::TYPE_STRING, 'validate' => 'isEmail', 'required' => true, 'size' => 128);
    AddressCore::$definition['fields']['subsidiary'] => array('type' => ObjectModel::TYPE_INT, 'validate' => 'isUnsignedId', 'required' => true);
    AddressCore::$definition['fields']['agency'] => array('type' => ObjectModel::TYPE_INT, 'validate' => 'isUnsignedId', 'required' => true);
class Address extends AddressCore
{
}

Best Regards

Henrik

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Raphaël,

I'd like to add an extra field on admin product product. This is my code :

Product::$definition['fields']['etiquette'] = array('type' => ObjectModel::TYPE_STRING, 'validate' => 'isString');
{
public $etiquette = null;
}

My field has been created in ps_product and I had a text field on the image tab but when I save nothing happens.

Any idea?

• 8 months later...

I have had the same problem. In order to have this new fields stored in the DB, you should extend the $definition in the constructor.

It would be somethin like this:

{
public $etiquette = null;
   public function __construct($id_product = null)
   {
    self::$definition['fields']['etiquette'] = array('type' => self::TYPE_STRING, 'validate' => 'isString');
    parent::__construct($id_product);
   }
}

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

<div>Hi, I need to extend functionality of prestashop products and features thereof, my idea is to develop a module that is self-installable, my question is, in the implementation of my module I can overwrite behavior prestashop products or I need to do besides adding a new file in the override folder for this purpose and from there extend its functionality?</div>

<div> </div>

<div>I did not find documentation that specifies this, I want to be a downloadable module with my new functionality.</div>