Add Custom link to categories in categories block

The categories are displayed through a loop so if you hard code a link it will not be included in the loop.

To add a link just open modules/blockcategories/blockcategories.tpl and add your link either immediately after the opening <ul> or immediately before the closing </ul>. You will need to add your link as a list item.

<li><a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com">Your Link Text</a></li>

Remember to create a modules folder in your theme and in that folder create a folder named blockcategories. Copy the blockcategories.tpl file into this folder so your custom link will not be erased when you upgrade.

Hope that helps!

Marty Shue

• Like 1

Yes, it works now. Setting cache to no did the trick. Thank you.

Is it also possible to add subcategories under that link?

The reason I wanted to add custom link is that I want to remove those "no_image" images under subcategories and keep the ones with images to show as defined. As I could`t find the answer for that I tried this alternative.

Anyway, thank you very much.

EDIT:

I found a way for subcategories:

<li class="submenu"><a href="#">Link with drop-down</a>

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Sub-item 1</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Sub-item 2</a></li>

One more question. Is it possible that the menu tree would open when a click a subcategory, like it normally does?

• Like 1

Glad it worked for you! I also see you found a way to add subcategories. If you plan to have a bunch of categories/subcategories this is going to be a lot of manual entry work for you. I hope you created the folders like I mentioned above or all your hard work will be lost when/if you upgrade your PS.

I think an easier way to remove the 'no_image' images would've been to simply comment out that section of the code (or remove if you prefer) or create your own custom 'no_image' graphic (with your logo or something).

Marty Shue

Yes it would be much easier to comment out the no_images, but I have categories that I want to show images and those without images, which I want to show as a list.

As I don`t know the solution for that, I used custom links.

Also would it be Is possible that the menu tree would open when a click a subcategory, like it normally does?

I appreciate your help.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The categories are displayed through a loop so if you hard code a link it will not be included in the loop.

To add a link just open modules/blockcategories/blockcategories.tpl and add your link either immediately after the opening <ul> or immediately before the closing </ul>. You will need to add your link as a list item.

<li><a href="http://www.yourlinkhere.com">Your Link Text</a></li>
Remember to create a modules folder in your theme and in that folder create a folder named blockcategories. Copy the blockcategories.tpl file into this folder so your custom link will not be erased when you upgrade.

Hope that helps!

Marty Shue

thats a good trick , but can you tell me how to add a custom link as a subcategory of category

Here is another question.. 

how to add a custom link as a subcategory of a category?

thats a good trick , but can you tell me how to add a custom link as a subcategory of category

Here is another question.. 

how to add a custom link as a subcategory of a category?

This is not very hard. Please see the post above on how to do it. Here is part of the post that will help you -- 

I found a way for subcategories:

<li class="submenu"><a href="#">Link with drop-down</a>

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Sub-item 1</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Sub-item 2</a></li>

Hope that helps!

Marty Shue