Hoodgrown

USPS module for PrestaShop

1. Ok I've chosen a programmer to handle the coding of this project and he's accepted.
http://getafreelancer.com/projects/404008.html

2. I haven't paid him yet so those who were going to contribute the $26 (i made it $26 to cover the fee that Paypal takes out) please either paypal it to me at orders@universalindie.com or if you don't have a PayPal account, click on the following link: http://petsright.com/contribution.html to pay with a credit card (thru paypal)

those who have contributed please post and let me know you've done so... I don't want more money than is required.

Total to raise is $175... actually $150 (when I add my $25)

3. Once he's paid the programmer is going become and member and WORK DIRECTLY WITH US... so you guys should start posting in this thread exactly what you need this module to do.

4. Everyone can put their input in whether they've helped paid or not. The object is to create a really great plugin that hopefully the Prestashop programmers will eventually incorporate into Prestashop.

so let's begin.......

I contributed $26 to orders@universalindie.com

Cool.. 2 more... and we're off to the races..... I'm really excited... lol.

All you need to do is follow this thread....

Alright.. can I get ONE MORE person before this day is over so that we can get him working on this Monday?????

Okay.. I just put $150 in escrow on the getafreelancer site which in turn will let the programmer know that it's there...
We just need one more person to contribute the $26..... to get this started...
there has to be others that need this module as well and are willing to contribute a nominal amount to get it created...

Alright...
Slade's requirements for this module are.....

My only feature request offhand would be to make sure a handling fee can be added into the shipping calculation. For example add 50 cents to each shipping quote to cover packaging costs or something like that. That should be pretty easy to add since it would just add it into the price it pulls from the USPS servers. There would just be an option in the backend to add X amount to the costs it looks up. (it should display as a single total to the customer)

Oh I just wanna make sure it can handle international shipping costs also

One thing that I thought of after would be making sure an option can be set for USPS flat rate boxes. For example I sell t-shirts and after a certain point it becomes more economical to use the USPS flat rate boxes. So there should be an option after so much weight it uses a flat rate box (there are a couple size flat rate boxes). Obviously these variables would have to be set on a per store basis so there just needs to be some options that can easily be filled in. Like between these weights use this box and it's price.

I had agreed to contribute but I see that I missed out over the weekend. If additonal funds are needed,
let me know.

Jack

Don't worry. Save it for the next module.Lol Just emailed with the programmer... he's starting on it today... he should be posting on here sometime today.. and this is where he'll be keeping us updated on the project or asking any questions..

Crap
I was up late the night before. And I thought it was for UPS module. Is someone starting something like that also.

That is what my client's needs, not USPS

The author will be logging on sometime today (different time zones).... so we can get this going?

Crap
I was up late the night before. And I thought it was for UPS module. Is someone starting something like that also.

That is what my client's needs, not USPS

You should contact jnktaylor. I think he has the UPS module running.

Hi everybody,
My name is Oleg, I'm one of the developers working on USPS module.
We started working yesterday.
Our plans for today and tomorrow are:
1. We have already downloaded prestashop shopping cart.
2. We are reveiweing it now and also make a plan of features for the USPS module development. This all is necessary preparatory work before the development.
3. Also we are reviewing your comments to take them to account when developing this module.
Please, share your ideas with us.
If you have any questions, you can also post them here.

I also wanted to add that when we create a list of features, we might post it here to coordinate with you.

jzsoft,
Don't worry about the 7 day timeline quote on getafreelancer. I, as I'm sure everyone else here would rather having a module that actually worked as opposed to something buggy and rushed to meet a deadline. :)

To get an accurate shipping cost, both weight and box dimensions are needed. It would be nice if the code calculated the total dimensions of multiple products ordered and selected an appropriate box from a list of available boxes. This is just a suggestion and not a requirement.

Jack

I hesitate to even mention this, but just something to keep in mind if it can be easily done. Occasionally the USPS server goes down, or they change something on their end without letting little shops know in advance. The osCommerce USPS module has been hit by this several times a year for the last couple years.

Soooo, IF it is easy to do, it might be good to have the ability to "fall back" to another method of shipping (presumably a table-driven approximation, the way we are all having to set up USPS shipping currently). Or at least to somehow fail gracefully when the USPS server connection stops working.

You may ask, 'why can the postal service of the wealthiest nation on earth not keep their server running, or figure out how to tell customers in advance when their API is changing?' You would be right to ask this, but I have no answer. I just know (from osCommerce experience) that it happens.

But, since basically nothing can be done about this situation, I wouldn't let it add much time to the development. Just some kind of 'failing gracefully', like a friendly message to the customer letting them know to pick another method of shipping, would be great.

thanks!

Hi guys,
Sorry for a late post today - I had a crazy busy day.
Thank you for all comments - they are vey important for us.
We might need more time than a week as we want to better study prestashop shipping cart and do an excellent module without any bugs.
Send me any comments, if you have.
We continue working on the module.

I didn't think this could be done "CORRECTLY" in a week anyway so it's fine. We're just tired of "bugginess" and want something SOLID that works...

Hi,
Thank you for understanding.
We want to devote this week completely to studying prestashop and existing APIs in order to avoid any bugs in future and pre-plan everything correctly. Besides that we foresee more projects connected with prestashop so this learning might be very helpful.
Please keep sending us your comments about module features.

One thing I don't think that has been mentioned is still have the ability to offer discounts to shipping based on certain variables. Like if X amount is ordered then there is X discount.

Also I know a lot of people are using the SVN version of prestashop. I don't know if there are changes that might need to be made for the USPS module to work on that but it might be good to get a head start on 1.2 compatibility if there are changes needed for a module to work.

Are people actually running live stores of the SVN versions? How does it differ from the 1.1 stable?

Hi,

I am think is it possible that this module could integrate with shipping label printing function in the back office when customers place their orders and select the shipment preference they want?

thanks

So far the best USPS module that I saw was in the CRE loaded. The module talks to the USPS server and retrieves the payment depending on the weight. Admin can enable free shipping nationally and enable Internationally. Admin can select and add different types of postal services. Also the module can be enabled for every page just to give an idea to the customers about the shipping charges.

So far the best USPS module that I saw was in the CRE loaded. The module talks to the USPS server and retrieves the payment depending on the weight. Admin can enable free shipping nationally and enable Internationally. Admin can select and add different types of postal services. Also the module can be enabled for every page just to give an idea to the customers about the shipping charges.

I completely agree with you. CRE Loaded has the best one that I've seen.

Ya having a block so a customer can enter a zip code to get a shipping cost estimate before checking out would be a great feature.

Hi Guys,
I hope you had great week-ends. We are starting to program the module itself tomorrow.
We'll make standard module and then after it's tested and bug free we'll add any features you need additionally.

Hello everybody,
We keep working on the module and plan to finish it by the end of next week.
If you have any questions, please send them to me.

I'm willing to chip in extra $$ if it can be configured to based the shipping cost on how much it coast to insure as well as or instead of weight.

I have a client I'd like to move to PrestaShop that sells antique jewelry. She never ships based on weight, only on how much is costs to insure the package and that is based on the price of the item.

that's definitely an interesting way of handling things, but then again it is jewelry so I'd be extra cautious as well. That's really a great idea!

helo guy's
i am convious about modul, for related items complate, ( more detail in file )
where is i can get. ?.. an maybe guy's senior prestashoper have like this modul..

thank's

6785_anlgBJAERDh4bYRyVhrd_t

How is the progress coming along, any updates?

Thanks

I'll contact them today and find out.

Am i the only one that replies to post that don't seem to go through... this is maddening.

To rewrite what I just freaking wrote:

UPDATE

I received this email from JZoft, the guys creating the module

Hi, I just checked what the developers programmed for USPS module and want to ask you for additional time if it's possible. We'll need about a week more to fix all bugs and to make the module look ok. Please, let me know whether you can give us this time. If no, I'll refund you all the money that you already paid and put into escrow. Sorry that it takes so long - we originally didn't expect it but we don't want to give you the module which will be buggy and can't be used. I hope for your understanding.

After speaking to Anime, the person who wrote the UPS shipping module, he stated that it took him two months to write his module because he had to learn Prestashop from the bottom up... so in the light of that.. I can definitely wait another week.

For those that contributed to get this done... I'll leave it up to you guys to decide how long to wait to see "something" before deciding to pull this project from our current developers.

Not to say that anything is wrong... let's just see if the current deadline will be met.

Personally, if they are genuinely expecting to have the module finished in a week or so-I would stick with it Hoodgrown. It will take a new programmer longer unless you don't have the full picture from jzsoft.

Maybe another chat with jzsoft to re-claify

1. They are confident they can do the work still
2. They can provide a realistic timescale - e.g if its a extra week will is really be done
3. They are clear of what features should be in the first release
4. They still want to do the work (rather than they wished thay had not started)

Better to have the full facts and an honest answer (good or bad) so you can make an informed decision

Also, once they are getting close - they should provide code so users can test and report any bugs

Thanks for the update Hoodgrown, I have no problem waiting a few more weeks if need be.

I don't mind waiting either. I just wanted to keep you guys updated since you all contributed.

As one of the contributors, I have no problem waiting longer. To be honest, their initial time estimate sounded too good to be true, and once it's done I expect we will have several more weeks of debugging.

I have asked around a bit, and developers working on an interface to the USPS in another language, for a different application, report that it was no small undertaking, and took several months. So I don't think we will be getting things done faster if we switch. Better to give them a chance to deliver, if they can and are still interested in doing so.

Hello,
If you are doing a business, I look at your relaiblity. I did not say, I need the module in 2 weeks. Programmer said he could get it done in 2 weeks. Right? All I need to know is this gonna happen? How long will it take? Take as much as you like, as long as do not tell me 1 more week please, 1 more week please. I need the module in may, if possible.
Thanks.

You guys are doing it all wrong. Customization is very hard to do and the programmer can't suit everyone's needs in one package. The module should be the base for future updates. According to the money pool should have been $15/person. Then have someone to be the owner of the intellectual property and distribute the module per license of $5 - $10 if the module is worth it. The proceeds can be use for other modules or support prestashop's programmers to innovate new features. For those looking customization, have the programmer work on individual modules to achieve your desire functions and pay him depending for what you want. That's my opinion anyway. Let me know if the module works, then I pay my dues.

The more maddening part of the whole ordeal is dealing with USPS and their servers. Their testing servers don't work and they won't let you on the production server until you send successful requests to the development server, WHICH DOES NOT WORK!!!

I wrote some of a USPS module, but got frustrated dealing with USPS and abandoned it. I ended up just changing cart.php so I could calculate insurance on shipping until USPS gets their act together, if ever.

Once you get over the hurdle of dealing with USPS, the rest is cake. Anime's UPS plugin gives a good roadmap on how to get it done.

You guys are doing it all wrong. Customization is very hard to do and the programmer can't suit everyone's needs in one package. The module should be the base for future updates. According to the money pool should have been $15/person. Then have someone to be the owner of the intellectual property and distribute the module per license of $5 - $10 if the module is worth it. The proceeds can be use for other modules or support prestashop's programmers to innovate new features. For those looking customization, have the programmer work on individual modules to achieve your desire functions and pay him depending for what you want. That's my opinion anyway. Let me know if the module works, then I pay my dues.

Well what he's going to post soon is going to be the base module and then we will talk about updates to suit everyone's needs. I spearheaded this project not to make money but to get the module done. If those who contributed decide they would like to sell the module, I have no problem with that either.

The more maddening part of the whole ordeal is dealing with USPS and their servers. Their testing servers don't work and they won't let you on the production server until you send successful requests to the development server, WHICH DOES NOT WORK!!!

I wrote some of a USPS module, but got frustrated dealing with USPS and abandoned it. I ended up just changing cart.php so I could calculate insurance on shipping until USPS gets their act together, if ever.

Once you get over the hurdle of dealing with USPS, the rest is cake. Anime's UPS plugin gives a good roadmap on how to get it done.

Thanks for the insight. Didn't know that. Why don't you share what you've done to date?

Well what he's going to post soon is going to be the base module and then we will talk about updates to suit everyone's needs. I spearheaded this project not to make money but to get the module done. If those who contributed decide they would like to sell the module, I have no problem with that either.

In my opinion, if a group of people are pooling money and the rest of us will benefit from a few people. I think it is a good approach to make money and use it to support prestashop project. This is not a module to get rich scheme, but a method to award merit.

Just got this email from the programmer,

Hello, We'll be able to show you a sample of USPS module on Wednesday or Thursday. As for the second task, it's hard for us to give you an accurate ETA. Can you please provide more details about it? Thanks in advance.

The "second task" he's referring to is I asked for a price for a "one page" checkout as opposed to the current multi-page one that prestashop uses.

I have bad news and good news...

first the bad...

I was contacted by the developer this morning:

Hi, I decided to cancel this project as we can't provide you services in a proper way. The developers showed me the script today but it's awful and we still need a lot of time to learn prestahsop and to rework it. Sorry for so long time but I don't want to waste it any longer. I cancelled escrow payment because we didn't deserve any. If you want to leave a bad review for us, I think it's fair as we spent a lot of your time and were unable to finish the project. Sorry for this again. It was a pleasure to work with you. Regards, Oleg

now the good...

I was talking to AnimeCyc who created the UPS module about picking up this project.. and he stated...

At the moment I am working on various portfolio work, but I may have some time coming up where I can start some minor freelance work. Right now my main focus is getting my portfolio setup and finishing up some remaining client work. How far did the other programmer get with the module, and did he supply you with any beta module? As far as my schedule is concerned I will probably be able to take the project on -- just not right now.

he also went on to say

I shouldnt be to much longer

So my question to those who contributed is...

what do you guys want to do?

I didn't contribute so don't put much into my opinion. It's not as easy as it appears. The UPS module has some bugs but if the developer has time, I'm sure they can be worked out. It would seem fairly striaght foward to modify the UPS module to support UPS, USPS, and FedEX. I had actually started that but my skills are lacking as much as my time.

Jack

API Authorization failure. RateV3 is not a valid API name for this protocol.

I have another e-mail into USPS to see if I can get this resolved.

This is the error that I receive from USPS server. From what I read, if I go to production server it will work, but they won't move me to production server until I validate on the test server.

I read they will move you to production with certain carts, but Prestashop does not have a certified plugin they will do it with. So I'm kind of stuck.

It's hard to tell what works and what doesn't with my plugin since I can't get a response from the server to parse. I need that to properly format so I can insert values back into Prestashop. As I said before, I essentially modded Anime's UPS plugin, so most features needed are there, but are useless without testing.

Hopefully I can get this resolved, sorry to hear your developers bailed.

As one of the contributors, I think we should give the new guy a try. I am not happy about the previous lot but I don't know if they deserve a bad review as they didn't try to take our money, and also recognized the script as being poor without making us do a lot of testing and complaining first. So I'd recommend giving them no review at all, either way, but that's your call.

Is the UPS module actually being used by anyone in production? If so, as long as any bugs are not too serious, then it would imply at least that the person knows something about Prestashop already.

The third option is to post the job again and look for a new developer, perhaps one who has either already worked with the USPS server or has already worked with Prestashop. But if the guy who wrote the UPS module is keen then that definitely sounds more promising than starting over with a new group.

I am in until we find somebody who can get done the module. I am not a programmer nor designer but I can get a module and convert it or modify it the way I want. USPS is over my head, that is why I recognize it is difficult and will take some time. Let's find somebody who has confidence of dealing with this USPS task. Waiting for me might take a few years:)
Here is a tip CRE has a perfect USPS module, I believe there are other carts whose USPS module is functional. May be instead of reinventing the wheel, programmer should look in to those modules first.

All, I am working on a proposal to get a FEDEX shipping api completed professionally. I know this is not related to USPS but if anyone would be interested in helping fund this project also PM me. I have 13 bids on the proposal with some professional coders. I anticipate it being about $300-$500. So if the costs are not covered and I have to fork the bill it will never get released for free once I have the code but if I can get the costs covered I will release to everyone. I do not want to make any money off of it.

-kevin

I guess what I read on the web is right, as USPS activated me to the production server today. Now I can get return calls from their server, which means I can actually move forward with the plugin.

I plan to start out simple, priority only, standard size shipping boxes only. Once that is bullet proof, adding other options will be much easier. Letters and non standard boxes will be the harder parts to implement. There are a lot more options to choose from with those forms of shipping. To add large boxes, will have to add fields to the database when you add a new product, as the seller will have to specity, height, length, width and girth of the box for that to work.

Late.

Great news, my USPS plugin works.

I will release Alpha (for testing only) in the next couple of days. This will be a very simple version that I can add features to. Should I do it on this thread or should I start a new one? Here's a quick list of current potential, which will be expanded.

* - Priority Shipping Only
* - US Shipping Only (Intl. has a different API to work with)
* - Standard size boxes only (no jumbo or super jumbo)
* - No insurance (not in the US API. I need it, so I have to look into it more)

* - Plugin will put debug info on your screen (so you can copy/paste info for me if there's a problem)

Will think of more. I have quite a few ideas, but want the base solid before I expand.
Late.

That is awesome news, thanks artjunky!

Hoodgrown, have you decided yet on what to do with the money we contributed?

Thanks

Just saw this post... And that's FREAKING AWESOME!!!! I do need it to work with the UPS module as right now it replaces it. What do you guys want to do. Pass on the money to artjunky, get a refund, or put it to use on another project (we really need a one page checkout)?

Let me know guys.

I tested the USPS module it is buggy but it worked perfectly for the priority shipping. I would call it a progress. I see he is working on the module without expecting something. I am not sure if he will get it all done completely or he will just leave it like this. If he is working on it I would say lets pass the money to him, if you guys do not want to do something else like finding somebody who can get it done quicker.

Hoodgrown if you have put the USPS module into production use, and you think it works well enough to keep it there, then I'd say give him the money. It should be debugged enough to be used in production, but if that is the case then no reason not to hand it over (there will always be another feature or minor bug, in any sufficiently complex piece of software, but if it's good enough to use then it's good enough to pay him for having developed it).

So, next question, do we have any feedback from the Prestashop team on this? It would certainly help with adoption of Prestashop in the U.S. if this became part of the standard download eventually, but I don't know if we've ever heard from the prestashop team about that. If I were them I would want to look at the code before expressing an opinion, but we should at least try to get their attention to it, if we haven't yet.

I am committed to pushing forward to make this a fully functional plugin. I understand the bugginess, but you have to understand that there are some incongruities between how Prestashop operates and how the USPS api expects to receive information. Right now I am making some flowcharts and devising the best way to bridge those gaps.

Outside of dealing with the API, this plugin is pretty much an altered clone of the UPS plugin. I'm a little torn on how to procede, as Anime and I have two pretty different coding styles, but if we want the two to become compatible, it's probably in the plugin's best interest to continue to follow the path he has laid in his .2 series, while at the same time, trying to address the bugs that are appearing in both plugins. I'm thinking this might be the best way to proceed, because it will give me more time to look into bugs and the aforementioned making them compatible, while hopefully establishing a framework that will make it easier to incorporate the FedEx api at a future date.

There are quite a few features I can see to be developed, but I think making the basic release stable should be the first priority. I think that is the prudent path, before making alterations to other classes. EG, to add large boxes we'll need to extend the product class and database tables, to add fields and inputs for box size, length, width, height, girth, whether the package is machinable.

One page checkout is a good idea. I'm looking closely at order.php right now, as there appear to be a couple of bugs that I need to isolate. It is also where one of the incongruities between Presta/USPS reside. I think a one page option might actually simplify the code for order.php and make it run smoother, though I will need to do some more testing before I'm sure of that.

What I'd like to add:
More options with shipping, like large boxes
A way to make the shipping option unavailable if there is a problem, instead of Free. (though you can always change that in your theme in order-carrier.tpl)
Shipping Insurance
A one click on the product page to see what shipping will cost.

I'm more than willing to listen to any ideas as we move forward. I'm thrilled it works for some of you, though I want to make it work for everyone. Shipping API's are one of the few things that are really holding Prestashop back.

All, I am working on a proposal to get a FEDEX shipping api completed professionally. I know this is not related to USPS but if anyone would be interested in helping fund this project also PM me. I have 13 bids on the proposal with some professional coders. I anticipate it being about $300-$500. So if the costs are not covered and I have to fork the bill it will never get released for free once I have the code but if I can get the costs covered I will release to everyone. I do not want to make any money off of it.

-kevin

Well, Kevin,

I just saw this post. I will make the contribution. Count me in.

Spare your energy from implementing a system that calculates the actual dimensions in a multi-product shipment. Every product should set their shipping weight instead - maybe there could be a calculator for that purpose. I looked into it some time ago, and all carriers I checked (UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL, Swedish Post) had the same breakpoint and formula for when the girth makes them charge for dimensional weight and how it's calculated.
And just remember also that the shipping cost will always be a estimate...

Also, noone really cares about height, width and depth - all they care about is the 'squared' girth...

I have banged my head against the osCommerce USPS and DHL modules for some time, so I might be able to help out. Love to help with onepage checkout too, but, I haven't yet decided to go with PS - just found you guys today...

@artjunky
thanks for committing to making and supporting this module. It's one part of what Prestashop needs for wide adaption by US Merchants (USPS, UPS, Fedex).

@Marco R,
I hope you decide to come aboard because we need more programming types to get Prestashop to a level of where OsC is, module wise. Prestashop has a more modern framework than OSC but is a lot easier to use than Magento.

@rbarrick,
I'm with you!

I’m for giving the money to artjunky too if its a working module and artjunky is committed to making it work for everyone as stated in his post.

I know I'm getting off topic.. but Marrco and Artjunky also expressed interest in creating a one-page checkout..
it should be more along the lines of one page/no registration

This article states it all;

Checkout Inspiration From Top Converting Sites
http://www.getelastic.com/no-required-registration/

great quotes from this article

In a usability test for a major online retailer, Jared Spool found new customers resisted registering, and some weren’t sure if they had registered before or not, entering various email address and password combinations in hopes they wouldn’t have to register. Others were suspicious the retailer would spam them with sales emails if they registered.

Jared’s recommendation was to replace the Register button with Continue, and adding “You do not need to create an account to make purchases on our site. Simply click Continue to proceed to checkout. To make your future purchases even faster, you can create an account during checkout.” Conversions increased 45%, bumping annual online revenue by $300 Million.

Name one BIG shopping site that doesn't require you to register. Amazon, Buy.com, etc? (I see proflowers.com) but I guess it depends on just how big you want your shop to ever get. I as a customer PREFER to register so I can login back in, check my order status, check my past orders, etc, etc. If you are going to try to have a shop that you want people return to, it's worth making them register BUT I do believe totally that there needs to be an option for one-time checkout. I've started working on it for my site but I am in the middle of other things right now. The progress can be seen on my site if you add something to the cart and Check Out. I've started the forms but the backend isn't completed yet. http://www.glasswaredreams.com, the reason I show it is to get a gauge on whether this is the idea we would be looking for or something more elaborate?

The way I plan to do it is have order.php enter the data regularly in the data base as a regular order. The account would be flagged with a "G" for Guest and a random generated password for the user E-mail. Then once the order is marked as completed/shipped. The system deletes the account only if it is flagged as a guest account. That way the user could in theory come back and do another guest order and also, the past order would stay in the system. Does anyone see in flaws with this way of doing it??

Wow. Really nice. Did you follow these instructions:
http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/15605/feature_requests/guest_accounts

Or is this something totally different?

Mind sharing how this is accomplished?

Hood -- Very Very similar, in fact some of this will save me some time in completing the backend but I will probably not keep a temporary account after the item is shipped. I'll just delete the account. The end customer in my opinion needs to have no knowledge of the dummy account. Just the order.

-kevin

Remember that a lot of this is just psychology and wording, a matter of perception - You would still collect the customers email address (in case something goes wrong), you would just not require someone to 'activate' the account before going ahead with the purchase - something which I don't think PS is doing right now anyway. Setting a password should be optional (only to make it look like there is no account-creation) - you still set up an account since you as a seller want to be able to return to the order and customer at a later date if anything goes wrong. As for the user, they can still reset their password through the site at a later day. Maybe the only special handling would be if the customer returns, want to do a second purchase, PS wouldn't stop him/her on the basis of there already being an account set up... I guess there is a information disclosure concern if an email address is reused between two persons - someone who uses my old email could potentially see - what? - my addresses and my previous orders. I think that is a negligible security risk.

Anyway, as someone said earlier - just abolish the wordings of register/sign up/activate...

Remember that a lot of this is just psychology and wording, a matter of perception - You would still collect the customers email address (in case something goes wrong), you would just not require someone to 'activate' the account before going ahead with the purchase - something which I don't think PS is doing right now anyway. Setting a password should be optional (only to make it look like there is no account-creation) - you still set up an account since you as a seller want to be able to return to the order and customer at a later date if anything goes wrong. As for the user, they can still reset their password through the site at a later day. Maybe the only special handling would be if the customer returns, want to do a second purchase, PS wouldn't stop him/her on the basis of there already being an account set up... I guess there is a information disclosure concern if an email address is reused between two persons - someone who uses my old email could potentially see - what? - my addresses and my previous orders. I think that is a negligible security risk.

Anyway, as someone said earlier - just abolish the wordings of register/sign up/activate...

I guess the biggest issue will be if they have to return something. How can they if the account info is gone? I personally will just ask if they used the guest checkout feature if they call in, then ask for the order number. If something needs corrected, it would just have to be a manual process. As long as it clearly states on guest checkout something to the effect: "By choosing this option, your user information will not be kept in our records permanently and you will not be able to review your order status or keep track of your previous orders. We encourage our customers to create an account for improved customer service." then they should realize that it may be a more difficult process and as shop owner I have to decide whether I'd want to deal with that scenario.

I know I'm getting off topic.. but Marrco and Artjunky also expressed interest in creating a one-page checkout..
it should be more along the lines of one page/no registration

This article states it all;

Checkout Inspiration From Top Converting Sites
http://www.getelastic.com/no-required-registration/

great quotes from this article

In a usability test for a major online retailer, Jared Spool found new customers resisted registering, and some weren’t sure if they had registered before or not, entering various email address and password combinations in hopes they wouldn’t have to register. Others were suspicious the retailer would spam them with sales emails if they registered.

Jared’s recommendation was to replace the Register button with Continue, and adding “You do not need to create an account to make purchases on our site. Simply click Continue to proceed to checkout. To make your future purchases even faster, you can create an account during checkout.” Conversions increased 45%, bumping annual online revenue by $300 Million.

Hoodgrown,

I have emailed the 1-click purchased option to the Prestashop team. And that is what they emailed me back:

Hi,

We are currently working on it (without donations :() and it will be available in version 1.2b1.
However ,this will work with de PayPal module with "Payment Express".

Best regards,

Why don't you contact the Prestashop team to see when the 1.2b1 will be?

I don't know about you guys but upgrades scare me to death. I've done so much customization that I'm bound to lose/or have to redo most of it, if I do an upgrade. If I can get the shop the way I want it, security issues aside, why upgrade? Unless absolutely necessary of course.

As a buyer, I like to know estimated shipping charges *before* I enter my personal info. If I visit a site I have never purchased from before, and cannot find out shipping charges, more often than not, I leave the site.

IMO, A one page check-out is nice but not as important as being able to enter my zipcode and find out shipping charges *before* creating an account or entering any personal info.

Jack

hmmm giving the module thread a bump... any news on the lastest developments on the USPS module?

I'm new here, but I've read all of the usps mod posts. I have tried the usps module v0.1.5 and noticed
that there is no where to put the password that the USPS gives you at account sign up. The USPS gave
me a user id and a password. When I used them both on another cart system (it was an ugly cart) I
got an almost perfect usps rate quote.

Could it be that we're just not able to insert the password given to us by the USPS?

I got my usps module to work, finally. I did some research and found that an item has to be at least one pound for the usps database to quote shipping charges. I think their max weight is 75 pounds, maybe 50. Thank you Artjunky and all the rest who participated in creating this module.

Sorry about the late response, but I think the USPS password is not really used anymore, from what I recall from using it with osc.

So, since it appears that the USPS module is now being used by people "live", what is the plan for getting it noticed by the Prestashop team? I'm sure they don't want to take just anything and merge it into the main product, but I'm guessing that it would be quicker for them to look this over and see that it's secure, etc. than to write it themselves. If we could get it put into the main release, at least as a module, then it would speed up Prestashop's adoption in the US, I think.

So, if anyone here knows the (polite) way to get their attention, sound off!

Where can I get this very very needed module???? plezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hoodgrown,

Where can I find the USPS Module to download?

Thanks, Dan Brouwers
PrestaShop V1.1.0.5