maybe a css cache problem?

Hello, I am converting my [spam-filter]'s shop from osc to prestashop, and mostly it's going well but I have an odd problem. I am using a theme with white characters on dark background, and mostly that it working. However, the "Featured Products" header (it's an h4) at the bottom of the front page will not change from black to white.

No problem, I install Firebug and it shows me the place in global.css which needs changing:

#center_column div.block h4 {global.css (line 893)
color:#000000;
height:17px;
}

Firebug seems great, by the way, although I have just started using it.

The problem is when I use Putty to look at the global.css file in the theme of the same name as I have selected in the admin panel, I see this:

#center_column div.block h4 {
   /*background: transparent url('../img/block_header_large.gif') no-repeat top left; */
   height: 17px;
   color: #FFFFFF;

I tried refreshing the page a few times, even opening in a different browser. I even shut down the server (it's my test server and I was going to sleep anyway), came back the next morning and still the same problem. I have selected the theme 'secret-oktober', and I am looking at the file ../prestashop/themes/secret-oktober/global.css .

Is this some sort of server-side css caching? Or how else would Firebug see a different css than I see on my server using putty? Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have figured out a very poor but functional workaround. After I have modified the global.css file (in the theme I want to use), I can copy the entire directory ( /themes/yourthemename ) to a new name (/themes/yourthemename2 ), then use the Back Office function to switch to the new theme. I had to be sure to use the command 'cp -R' rather than just 'cp', because I wanted to copy not only the top level directory but also all the lower level directories and the files.

I'm sure there is a better way, but otherwise the old css seems to refresh, even if I use a different browser, so it must be some sort of server-side caching. It's a lot of effort to go through and it wouldn't be practical if you needed to do it very often. But until I can find out a better way, this is my (frankly rather lame) workaround. Anybody else encounters this problem please let me know, especially if you have a better solution.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.04 for my server OS, by the way, in case that's relevant (which if it's a server-side caching problem it might be).