Help with Canada installation?

Just installed PrestaShop to create a shop for use by us on our Canadian collectors web site...

I'm just going through the configuration process and trying to set it up to handle the unique needs we might have using the shop from Canada. ie: Taxes, shipping, currency etc...

I wanted to see if there was perhaps another Canadian store owner who had been down this road and who could give me some quick tips on what I need to do for Canadian usage.

Specifically, do I need to "buy" and extra add-on modules to handle Canadian taxes, shipping and payments, plus what service can I use (sign up for) in Canada to handle Credit Card payments such as Visa and Mastercard? I assume the built-in PayPal module will work in Canada, as we already have a PayPal Premier account that we've been using for years?

Thank you for any feedback... much appreciated ...

BTW, we're in the Toronto area if a phone call would be better ...

Regards,

Doug

Hi Badgerdog,

You have nothing to do, just select Canada as your country during the install process and the taxes, currency, shipping options are going to be automatically configured.

You also have for shipping/payment the following modules : CanadaPost, Beanstream, Moneris and soon Purolator.

Thank you for the quick response Carl ... terrific support .... it's appreciated...

I have selected our on-line store as being in Canada, but when I look at the "taxes" tab, I see nothing but tax rates by individual state in the U.S.?

I think I'm missing something simple ...

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Carl....

I think I fixed it with a reload ....

I can see the Canada Tax rates now on subsequent pages ....

By the way, is there a bug in modules?

On a LOT of modules, I choose configure and edit changes, updating it. However, if I go back and want to configure them some more, I click configure and the screen flashes, but it just returns to the module view. I have to RESET the module, then re-enter everything all over again just to get into it?

The Canada Post add-on module installed won't let me configure it at all, even using the reset button.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your message!

I'll ask to Fabien, who developed the CanadaPost module to have a look at it.

Being the Country Manager for Canada, I'd be very happy to get your feedback while you configure and setup your shop. Getting taxes perfectly working for Canada has been one of our priorities for PS V1.4.6, my mission is to listen to our Canadian community to continue to improve our software!

Wish you success with your store,

Sabrina

Thanks Sabrina ....

There's something wrong with module management in general. Clicking on configure doesn't work for many modules unless you RESET them to the default status first.

In the Canada Post module, one can't even get into configuration option and it (as do many) shows a successful "un-install" (green box), even though the module is installed and active (see check mark) and also the text indicating the only option is to uninstall it.

Regards,

Doug

post-307218-0-29781900-1323210230_thumb.png ---- post-307218-0-90931500-1323210246_thumb.png

Hi BadgerDog,

I'm the developer in charge of the Canada Post module. Your problem does not seems to be relative with the module itself. Did you enable memcache or filesystem cache ?

Could you send me a back office and a ftp access by private message to look what is going wrong on your shop ?

Best regards,

Thanks Fabien ...

I turned OFF the CacheFS system altogether and that fixed the problem. I also note that it also fixed ALL of the other module "configure" issues as well.

Thanks for your help ... :)

I'm still working my way through trying to understand the best way to configure our store, hopefully bringing it on-line in the new year. I need to find a good template theme that best mates with our primary vBulletin based military antique collector's site, so that's my next adventure with PrestaShop.

Regards,

Doug

What is your version ? Is it a new install or an upgrade ?

I'm using 1.4.6.2 and it's a brand new install, but I'm also running vBulletin software v4.1.3 on the same dedicated server, which supports MemCache, although when the CacheFS was turned ON under PrestaShop, it was set to "file system", so I don't think that should affect it?

Anyway, I'm onto other challenges, now trying to figure out why when I do a test transaction, the "cart" shows some weird shipping company to use and not Canada Post ... :D

Regards,

Doug

• Like 1

I have the same problem with modules and the best workaround that works for me is TURN OFF the "CacheFS", make any changes to modules and TURN ON the "CacheFS" again.

That's interesting... thanks ... :)

So, as long as you do configurations with the CacheFS OFF, everything else works fine with it ON?

Regards,

Doug

correct.

Also I would suggest do not use predefined Canadian Taxes, because if the customer is not logged in, the system always calculates the Sales Tax as Canadian GST 5%. I do not want my customers see the Sales tax unless they logged in and system knows the correct shipping destination.

Sample of my taxes:

post-296974-0-52386000-1323285189_thumb.jpg

Once you start testing the Shipping Cart, could you share with me if you experience the same problem as me? I described the problem here (post #11):

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/145262-canada-post-shipping-module-5-seconds-delay/page__view__findpost__p__698863

Regards,

Sergei

Once you start testing the Shipping Cart, could you share with me if you experience the same problem as me? I described the problem here (post #11):

http://www.prestasho...post__p__698863

Regards,

Sergei

Thank you Sergei ... :)

I will do that as I start more testing, but I'm only in development stage at this point ....

Can I assume you permit "guests" to order without having to register?

On our type of site and due to the nature of the product, we can't permit that, so people will have to register and I guess that would mean we wouldn't have a problem because we'll know where the user is from?

Regards,

Doug

I tested the PrestaShop with the guest and without guests, but the tax was calculated as GST 5 % for default home country (Canada) all the time, unless the customer logged in or provided the shipping destination (Province) on the guest panel.

I believe that Customers should not see the WRONG tax (GST 5%) until the system knows the customer's destination and be able to show the correct tax (HST 13% for Ontario for example).

It forced me to play with the Tax rules and set up NO TAX for Canada, because the system knows that the default country is Canada.

• 1 year later...

Good day .. I am in the same boat ... the site is completed and I cannot re-install to select Canadian .. Is there any way to add the Canadian tax rules after the fact ? I only have the US taxes right now in my BO. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers and thank you in advance - B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

We have a client with 2 stores... one in the US and one in Canada. Our developers installed 2 instances of PS on the client's site. This was done over a year ago. We customized the theme to match the website. However, since I don't believe the developers initially chose Canada as the default country when they installed the "Canadian" store, I don't see the Canadian provinces/states & taxes as indicated above.

I could try reinstalling the store and selecting Canada as the default. But, we just upgraded the store from 1.4.4.1 to 1.4.10 (based on research done on this forum re: the Canadian tax configuration) and we had some issues with the theme modifications we did. If i reinstall, would I have to delete the current installation or install it over itself? If I do install it over itself, will it allow me to select the default country AND will it keep the theme modifications we made?

All this so that we can charge the correct Canadian taxes!!! Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. We've been trying to launch this site for over a year!

Thanks,

Clem...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did re-install 1.4.10.0, selecting Canada as the country. That gave me the correct tax setup... to an extent! I've still got several tax-related issues:

1. The "Tax to apply" rules are not all correctly set for each State/Region. Some are, some aren't. And since I don't know what they should be for each State, I'll have to depend on the client for that.
  2. The client told me that Canada taxes shipping as well. So I made sure to set "Tax" to "CA Standard Rate" for each carrier (there are 2 carriers setup, both are Canada Post, one is Regular, the other is Expedited). However, the tax is NOT being added to the shipping, only to the product price.
  3. I cannot find the "Display tax on cart" switch that the documentation says should be under "Tax options". I need to turn off the display of taxes in the shopping cart until the customer enters a destination.
  4. When the customer checks out, they are presented with the 2 carriers. However, regardless of the destination, both the Regular and Expedited option show the exact same shipping cost!

If anyone has ANY suggestions, either on the tax issue OR the Canada Post issue, I'm open and would be grateful. This client has been waiting almost 6 months to launch his Canadian store.

Thanks, in advance...

Clem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...