[SOLVED]Error thrown: [object XMLHttpRequest]

I am trying to debug the following error when adding products from the Ajax Cart in 1.4.6.2:

TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to add the product.

Details:

Error thrown: [object XMLHttpRequest]

Text status: error

After searching the forum, I am aware that others are having this issue and the solution is to disable the AJAX portion of the product being added to the cart. We don't want to do this though.

I have noticed that if you enter a qty larger than what the site says is available, or if you enter the 'Maximum Quantity" available to you the purchaser, the script works fine and returns the appropriate error message.

My Environment:

The site is on a Freshly Installed cPanel Server running in a VPS environment within an non-managed hosting platform. I have root access and total control over the server and can make any changes need be.

Where The Store Is Located:

I have a test store at the moment with a Vanilla install, no extensions, or anything else added or removed or touched.

You can view the store at: http://www.icsclients.com/prestashop/

For your convenience, I have installed a PHP test file at: http://www.icsclient...hop/phpinfo.php

What's In it For Me?

If you can help me troubleshoot this issue and solve it, I will provide Free Web Hosting on the server for you as long as your bring your domain for a 1 year term which would be perfect for a personal blog, web site, small business, or other non-ecommerce related site. (Sorry, having 1 store on the server right now is probably enough to max out the environment with well over 5K products in the master store).

You will also receive my personal gratitude. :)

Need to Know Information:

I moved the master store from a different VPS in a managed environment hosting wise which had some oddball security settings and other tweaks. . When the store was in that environment - we did not have this issue at all.

Seeing that this issue was not present in the old server, I am certain that this is probably a tweaking issue or server issue that I have yet to set the proper environment for. At the old host, I was unable to load a PHP test script to get their environment so I cannot mirror the settings, and contacting the host for the environment variables would probably be met with 'deaf ears' as I have already terminated the account with them and am technically with a competing web host. :)

Marty -

I solved the problem actually by recompiling Apache to include the MbString function, Mod_security, and MOD_FCGID. Not sure which one it was, since I didn't want to wait 30 minutes each time between compile, but it is working now.

I am not certain though if it wasn't the MbString because I have a Joomla based site on the same server under a different cPanel account which complained about it missing so it was included as part of the build tonight.

ok thanks !

I' ve downloaded the entire "prestashop" last version.

and just upload the "blockcart" folder.

Then I've find it in the admin page.

No error message now, but it means the cart works in no-ajax mode even if I select it.

don't understand why

• 1 month later...

Marty -

I solved the problem actually by recompiling Apache to include the MbString function, Mod_security, and MOD_FCGID. Not sure which one it was, since I didn't want to wait 30 minutes each time between compile, but it is working now.

I am not certain though if it wasn't the MbString because I have a Joomla based site on the same server under a different cPanel account which complained about it missing so it was included as part of the build tonight.

Hi medfordite, can you please explain step by step how you solved the problem? I have VPS and same prestashop version as you have 1.4.6.2

Thanks

Cankart -

I solved the problem actually by recompiling Apache to include the MbString function, Mod_security, and MOD_FCGID.

If you have VPS, go to your WHM, and choose the 'EasyApache' option. From there, go through and choose to enable those Options, MbString, Mod_Security and Mod_Fcgid. That fixed my issues after recompiling and letting Apache restart.

If you don't have access to EasyApache, then you might have to check with your service provider to have them enable that for you. I am on unmanaged VPS so, everything I had was installed by default when cPanel installed.

If you don't have cPanel, and are using Kloxo for example, then the PHP might already be configured for this, but that is beyond my scope. I know you can compile those into your server manually via command line as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same error running off Lighty on CentOS 5. Thanks to the input on this thread, I solved it by just installing mbstring.

yum install php-mbstring

Note of caution though, the install reset permissions on my php session folder.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on bluehost shared server and got same error , then i reinstalled the complete prestashop latest version with its latest theme and noticed that when i deleted the old Cart Block module it gives me the same error and the product cannot be added to the cart with same error described above......... So in my case this problem resolved by just uploading the OLD cart module to MODULES folder....... Just upload it Do not install or enable it .........

• 9 months later...

Hi Medfordite,

I used your solution below:

If you have VPS, go to your WHM, and choose the 'EasyApache' option. From there, go through and choose to enable those Options, MbString, Mod_Security and Mod_Fcgid. That fixed my issues after recompiling and letting Apache restart.

I think it has fixed the error:

TECHNICAL ERROR: unable to add the product.

Details:

Error thrown: [object XMLHttpRequest]

Text status: error

BUT I can't login to the BO nor customers can sign in. Would that be related?

Could any of these options have created the new issue: MbString, Mod_Security and Mod_Fcgid

Thanks