Variables & Email.. Parsing Attributes?

Seth Oscar

So here's my dilemma...

I'm trying to reformat the email that is sent when a new order is placed. What I would like to do is change this:

original.jpg

To This:

modified.jpg

The easy part for me is editing the HTML to separate the attributes from the product, the part that I am having a hard time with is parsing the string to strip the attributes from the product, and place them in a separate column. Is there an existing variable to use or do I have to define one, and if so, where do I do this? I am still coming to understand PHP, so if anyone can help me on this and provide a "dumbed-down" version I would be VERY VERY appreciative.

The reason I'm trying to do this is that I'm looking to make the email sent to the merchant easier to read for the cooks making the order. In a perfect world, I would like to be able to exclude any attribute selection that was not made, so as to reduce the clutter seen on the merchant email. Right now the products are coming through like this:

email.jpg

All of the Additions, appetizers, and other attribute selections in the "Product" column would be much cleaner if the selections that were not changed from default did not show, and if they can be parsed out to another separate column.

Please, any suggestions would help me out tremendously, as my client is looking to have this functional in the very near future.

Thanks in advance,

Seth