Creating a Front Office page associated with my custom module

Ben Rich

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help point me in the right direction (i've done a lot of googling already).

I've created a module that does everything I want it to in the back office.

I now need some front office behaviour. There are plenty of hooks but I'd rather have a whole page to myself. Some background: My module associates passwords with groups. On this page I want to allow users to enter a password and assuming its correct, add them to a specified group.

Assuming its possible to do this, how would I go about associating a front office page with my module? Or something similar if needs be.

Thanks!

Yeah I found the same list of hooks and realised none helped. You did though give me a few new search terms to try, which helped.

eg. Creating my own hook: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/129386-display-newsletter-block-in-a-cms-page/page__view__findpost__p__641992

I've now done that. My module can now interact with a CMS page, which is great.

From the above link it would be nice not to have to edit core files (steps 3 & 4). I'll look into an alternative at some point (unless someone knows of one off hand).

You can overwrite core files by doing the following:

Classes:

As an example, you can add a date_add field to the ps_cms table, then override the CMS class to add a publish date to CMS pages by creating the file override/classes/CMS.php and inserting the following into the file:
<?php
class CMS extends CMSCore
{
   public date_add;
   public function getFields()
   {
    $fields = parent::getFields();
    $fields['date_add'] = pSQL($this->date_add);
    return $fields;
   }
}
?>

Controllers:

As an example, you can override the category listings to add a new hook for modules to use by creating the file override/controllers/CategoryController.php and inserting the following code into the file:
<?php
class CategoryController extends CategoryControllerCore
{
   public function process()
   {
    parent::process();
    self::$smarty->assign('HOOK_CATEGORY', Module::hookExec('category'));
   }
}
?>

Or read more here:

http://www.nethercottconstructions.com/en/content/category/9-overriding-files

Problems with overriding core files or the stuff in my initial post? I haven't looked into overriding files yet.

If its to do with associating a module with a CMS page, i've managed to now do that successfully. After following the instructions within my 2nd post, I added a function (in my module) called hookHookName (replace 'HookName' with whatever you want). Register the hook during install ($this->registerHook(hookName)). May need to 'transplant a module' if you dont want to reinstall your module again.

Then, every time i visit the CMS page, any code within that function is executed.