how to apply tax rules for different countries

Hello :)

I would like to configure tax rules for different countries and display it at the checkout phase.

Now i have my prestashop set for USA, but i want tax rules for all countries which i have potential buyers.

How the tax rules works and how should i apply it for all countries?

Regards,

Theboss

Hi Theboss,

Once you've created your tax rules in the Back Office under Payment > Tax Rules, you can go into each individual product and on the Prices tab, click on "Add a New Specific Price." There, you can add different tax rules for different countries.

Please let me know if this works for you.

-Mike

Hi Theboss,

I am going to delete this post because you should never post your login credential publicly. I will try to look into this for you, but please be careful where you post this information. Additionally, be careful with the "PS," we will be forced to give you a warning point next time for this sort of advertising.

-Mike

Hi Theboss,

I looked into this for you, and it actually appears that it should already be working fine for any tax rules you've already configured. Unfortunately, it will only appear for those people actually shopping from other countries. Do you have anyone abroad who could quickly check this out for you?

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I will talk to my friend abroad to do this test for me... in meanwhile i test it from Portugal and it doesn't work if i have no tax in product info tab

I found this article that describe how the tax rules works: http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Taxes/#Assign_a_tax_to_a_product

For buyers that live in states it may works nice but for buyers that live in Countries is not working... more testing is require.

The login details i have put here was for a test prestashop not my real shop, i thought there was no problem with that. Sorry for the "PS," thing, my bad!

Regards,

Theboss

Hi TheBoss,

I actually did some research of my own AND spoke with the developers, and it appears that I was mistaken on this myself. Unless you make edits to the code itself, you'll only be able to use one tax rule per country. In the United States, the law is that you only charge sales tax for the state where you are based, and other states only if you have a "nexus" (base of operations, employees living there and doing business, etc.) in another state. Are the laws different in Portugal?

And don't worry about the login thing, it's a rule of the forum in general, and that's what PMs are for :P .

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your research that is helping me so much. God Bless you!

In Portugal, we have three type of VAT ( PT standard rate 23% , PT reduced rate 13% and super reduced rate 6%) and it is applied to the country (it's the same for all cities).

My shop base is in Portugal and i want my shop to be able to tax buyer according to their countries or states tax.

Is it possible to have this works both for countries and states simultaneously, if so how can i accomplish that, if it's necessary edit code how can i do that.

How can i configure the backend in order to have this rules applied correct for users that live in Countries and at the same time for users that live in States?

Mike, right now i just need to configure tax rules, shipping option to be able to launch my website; those are the issues i have right now. please help me!

Regards,

Theboss

Hi Theboss,

As I mentioned, this will need to be done by editing the code itself. However, I'm not the best person to ask for complicated code changes. The best thing I could suggest is to post a new thread asking for advice on how to make these changes to your shop so that other developers can lend their expertise to your shop. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

-Mike