Prestashop Magento Template Monster

I did try both, Magento and Prestashop. Prestashop is easy to understand, not so Magento. I do not understand the database of Magento with around 220 tables. And I barely understand the coding behind. Maybe it is better for big shops but you need an additional software engineer to maintain the technical issues of the shop.

Not so with Prestashop, it is easy to understand with its clean database and the template system. Prestashop still lacks a few issues, shipping and payment modules and legal issues in some countries, but Prestashop is a little bit younger and if a lot of people decide to use Prestashop, those payment providers will write the piece of code, because they earn with every customer.

In the case of Template Monster: I use a template monster template with my oscommerce shop, it is ok, but it did need little bit php knowledge to adapt some modules to the design. But that is, as mentioned a problem of oscommerce.

I do not understand the hype everybody does with magento or is it just the question of a better marketing. Every upgrade gives a few more questions and a few more bugs.

Magento is an exceptional product with some extremely powerful and flexible options. The way layered navigation works, support for multiple shops and the back-end interface and all superb. Magento documentation is also excellent (an area that currently lets Prestashop down). For many store owners - especially larger businesses -Magento is a very good choice

But all the functionality has to come at a price, magento is complex and requires a lot of skill. If your not a PHP programmer you are likely to struggle in areas. So its not for everyone and this is where Prestshop scores in my opinion - Prestashop offers a very good level of functionality, modules are easy to install and understand and it makes good use of Jquery (an excellent JavaScript library). So it hits the sweet spot for anyone wanting a comprehensive eCommerce script that is flexible, fast, easy to get to grips with, makes less demands on hardware and provides easy-to-install modules to extend the system and build branded stores quickly with new Prestashop themes. Yes there are bugs, but the developers are working really hard and Prestashop is still a version 1 product - so the future should be bright.

In Summary, both products are very good and each has its own USP's. There will be times when Magento is the best choice and times when Prestashop is the best choice - it depends on the needs of each client.