[Solved] question of a dummie

I know it's a stupid question but is there really nobody who wants to tell me how I can open a template file such as header.tpl together with the style.css and modfify simple things like color in a WYSIWYG tool such as Dreamweaver.

Thanks,

Hi Geert!

Sorry but there's no way to open a template (.tpl) file in dreamweaver because it is a Smarty's one it needs Smarty to interprete it and Smarty needs also php to work...

So templates could not be seen as in a browser in an editor software :-

As for everyone, you'll have to edit it in a file editor and viez modification through your browser

actually you can open the tpl files in Dreamweaver. You need to add the file extension in Dreamweaver configuration.

Because some of templates are seperated for modules you will only see the section you open so they may not look like  layout you want to see.

Otherwise works fine and you can visualise borders etc.

cheers

Actually, if you use a test server, you CAN see everything in Dreamweaver even when working with php/mysql database.  At least in Dreamweaver8 and above you can.  (You need to configure everthing properly, of course.) I have designed a several sites this way.

Apparently, Smarty templates are another story(?).  I confess I have never worked with Smarty. 

What about Smarty extensions for Dreamweaver?

Here is one I found:

http://www.scottwilburn.com/2006/05/12/smarty/

Quote from site:  I recently packaged a Smarty template extension for Dreamweaver which allows web designers who are working with Smarty templates to work on templates using Dreamweaver’s Design View. You can download the extension here. To install the extension, simply use the Macromedia Extension Manager. I offer no support or warranties for this extension, but welcome feedback about it.

Has anyone used this?  Any advice or suggestions? Am I better off downloading Smarty and working directly in it instead of the smarty extension for dreamweaver?

PS:  I love my dreamweaver!  I hope using the extension works.