website not showing properly in IE (slow loading and broken image link)

rcmonet

Hello everyone,

I am very new to prestashop, just recently set up a retail website with this fabulous tool.

The website is: www.easypet247.com

the website was running smoothly at the begining, but recently I find it very slow when I try to browse it from IE (IE8), and almose everytime, I will get qutie a few broken image link at the first page or later on in the product detail page.

However, if I keep refresh the page for several times, the image(s) will get loaded properly eventually.

When I try to view the website from google chrome, everything get loaded properly and very fast though, it's a pity that the majority of people (customers) are still using IE, which means I would have to find a way to get this problem sorted, otherwise it's just not looking very professional for a retail website.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the coding, and really hope someone out there and shed me some light on this. Any Idea?

Thanks very much!!!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Mike,

Very very impressed with your swift reply.

I have just done a delete on all the history and cookies from IE, however, it seem the problem is still the same.

I notice there is a "done, but with erros on page" at the bottom of the IE page, if I double click on it, the following error shows:-

=================

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; CIBA)

Timestamp: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:39:10 UTC

Line: 1

Char: 1

Code: 0

URI: http://www.easypet24...0.7.8-packed.js

Line: 27

URI: http://www.easypet24...eeManagement.js

Line: 157

Char: 2

URI: http://www.easypet247.com/

Line: 15

URI: http://www.easypet24...odifications.js

Line: 13

URI: http://www.easypet24.../ifxtransfer.js

Line: 539

URI: http://www.easypet24...rt/ajax-cart.js

================

is it related? (sometimes, I don't get this error, but still getting a lot of image unloaded when browsing from IE).

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Using a tool called IETester, I just compared your site's speed and functionality in IE 7, 8 and 9. While 7 and 8 were a little slower than 9, there really were no noticeable differences on our machines here. We didn't get any error messages either. It sounds to me like this might be something restricted to your computer.

Is there somewhere else you can test this out?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

It's nice to hear that you are having no problem with my website, maybe it's my network setting's problem. I will try it on some other computers remotely and see if it works better there.

Just another thoght, I just used a website call webpagetest (www.webpagetest.org) and choose run loading test from there server located in Lodon with IE.

It looks like the result also have some broken images etc as well.

If you could have a look at the following link for the screenshot generated by this webpagetest, you could see the logo image (the one on the top) is missing/broken in the first load:-

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110926_FB_1QCBF/1/screen_shot/

Do you have any idea?

The funny thing is, now when I try to load my webpage from google chrome, I will get the logo image missing as well unless I click on the logo image to get it refreash several times (same thing as in the IE 8, thought it was IE problem, but it looks like it's not).

Do you think it could be my hosting server's problem (I'm using UK2). Or could it be the database getting too complicated for the website to load? (as there seems quite a lot undeleted shopping carts, around 1,400 in the history when I view the carts from background admin) - by the way, there are quite a lot icon missing in the background control program as well at the first load (like the icon next to catalog, cusomers, orders tab etc).

Any Idea?

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Rick,

I just tested this again in Chrome, IE and Firefox, and the header image didn't load properly the first time, but once I clicked on it once, it showed up perfectly. I then went on to check it out in IE and Firefox, and everything looked perfectly fine.

I would suggest that you check with your host to see if there is anything causing this issue, you may be overloaded but only they would really be able to tell you that.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your reply.

So do you mean that it might be a problem on the hosting server side?

I checked with them earlier, and they told me it might be a coding issue, could it be a coding problem? (sorry I'm not really familar with the coding side).

Or is there anyway to prune the database is a little bit and make the website easier to load?

Thanks very much for your kind support!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Do you mind if you could give me some clue where to disable the caching for back office? I'm using 1.3.7.0 and I don't see the performance subtab under the preference tab. Is there anywhere I could set this?

Can I regenerate htaccess without disabling the cache, and will it help?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your tips.

I have tried regenerate the htaccess under the regenerator tab, but it's still the same.

Just ran a new test from www.webpagetest.org and here is the latest test result:-

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/110928_PG_1R2AB/

The logo image is still missing.

Very strange.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Sorry this took me so long, but I just spoke with the original creator of PrestaShop (I wanted to be sure to get it directly from the source B) ), and 1.3 doesn't offer this sort of functionality. He suggested that you go ahead and upgrade to a newer version for full functionality, preferably 1.4.5 which should be coming out within the next week or so.

-Mike

Hi there,

I am a new user of Prestashop - I didn't build my site myself, it was built for me by a developer.

Since completion of the site, several customers have told me that they can't purchase - the 'Add to Cart' button does not show on their screen (on the item pages), and images don't display. Their wishlist doesn't display properly, and they can't update their address (although I can see their new address added in the admin panel).

I contacted the developer of the site and he advised that the customers must be using IE7, as Prestahop is only usable on IE 8 & 9 - but one of the customers has advised that she is using IE 8. I asked them to send me screenshots - both show pages with no images (the item pages), no 'Add to Cart' button, and the wishlist page is scrambled.

I use a Mac, and have had no problems. I've had a new developer look at the site and he's advised that he's having some challenges fixing it, as it's a problem with Prestashop and IE. He's also advised that I'm going to have some challenges when I upgrade, and am likely to lose all of my content and data, and has recommended I rebuild the site in a different type of software, which I'm not keen to do.

Wondering if anyone might be able to shed any light on this scenario for me? I'm not a developer and am unable to fix the problem myself, so I'm relying on professionals but unfortunately none of them know how to fix it.

Each customer who views my site with no 'Add to Cart' button is yet another customer I lose :-(

I'd be so appreciative if anyone could offer some advice, or perhaps advise me on how I can find a developer who is an expert in Prestashop?

Warning: My site contains some adult products - www.pleasurerepublique.com.au

Thanks!

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I just followed your great and simple upgrade guide and upgraded my shop to 1.4.5.1.

Thanks very much!!

However, I'm still facing the same problem, the logo and some other images not appearing properly (shown as broken link) every time I open the website, until I refresh it manually several times.

I have also disabled the caching and regenerated the htaccess file, but it doesn't help somehow.

Could you please kindly help me further? really don't know what could be wrong with it, is it the images I uploaded too large? Or is there any other possibilities?

Thanks very much for your great support in advance!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for you reply.

I just had a look.

My logo image is under \www\img and my other product pictures image are under \www\img\p

They are not under \www\themes\prestashop\img folder (but some images under this folder, like logo_paiement_mastercard.jpg, logo_paiement_paypa.jpg etc time to time will get a broken link as well).

I have not done any special configuration about the location where to store the images etc, just use the default setting, but I do generate the water mark for the product picutes, and the size of the product images vary from 1KB to about 400KB.

Please let ,me know if you would need any further info.

Thanks very much for your kind support!

Best regards,

Rick

Hi Mike,

Do you have any idea about this?

I just notice under the performace tab, The bottom "caching" option (memcached or file system) is disabled, And there is one warning tip on the top of this performance tab:-

Does it mean anything to you?

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there i have a very serious problem with images

Im using prestashop 1.4.5.1 and i was working under Chrome and Firefox and everything was well but then i went to test my shop to IE and BAM!!! the images under the products-list doesnt show... only in IE it fails, everything works perfect on Chrome, Opera and Firefox, but in IE i just cant see the pictures.

can u take a look at www.triques.mx there ull see that images shows great but then when u go to a category .. :- http://triques.com.mx/category.php?id_category=17 - that one as example, theres NO images at all :S please help me!! we are supossed to open the shop this monday and i cant if theres no images for IE explorer users (wich are a lot actually)

Tnk u Mike and others :D

PS ive tested the website on many IE versions, different computers, OS versions etc... and nothing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am using version 1.4.8.2. and when Any of the CCC Combine, compress,cache settings are changed this happens to me in IE, the theme shifts from the center where it's meant to be all over the the right, however when changing those settings back and browser reloaded the theme corrected itself once again.