[Solved] Adding a top menu (English)

Hi,

I am playing around with the default theme. What I have done so far is duplicate the /themes/default and now i have /themes/custom. I have managed to take out the language and currency drop downs (they are not needed for me) and I have re worded the emails sent out by the shop. However I am a little lost, when it comes to adding things like a menu. I will look at it a little more when the next revision is released, but for now If anyone can give me a quick run down on how the theme structure works, that would be fantastic.

Hi James

Glad to see you've been successfully through all of this.

Concerning menus, I quoted one of my old post juste below about a similar question

You're deeply into the darkside of prestashop called... hooks !

First some explanations are requiered about those :

- On a template file (.tpl) you can call hooks as {$HOOK_NAME} where NAME is the hook's NAME.

- On the related php file, this is linked to the corresponding hook's call

- This call looks for modules (for exemple) linked to it and launchs them

- Each module does its own business

But as I said before in other posts (but maybe you don't understand french :() an interface to manage that is in development right now, and coming soon ;)

Last thing, a complete documentation about this mess is planed and should coming later.

The complete post is here

But you're right to wait for the next release (maybe tonight ;)) because it's coming with a new template system (so CMS system) making it easier to understand ;)

And with the PrestaShop version 1.0, it will be a complete block's position management on the back-office 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Right,

At the moment I have added a menu bar to my instalation in acton here www.craftantics.com/pos3 Currently this is a static html coded ul li list with CSS powering the visual apperance. What I would like to know, is there any documentation anywhere (belive me I have looked  ;)) that explains how to create an add on, where I could add this list to the back office and make changes there? having looked at the developers guide, I think I understand the relationship between content authoring in the back end for display on the front office. Any help would be as they say greatly appreciated.

Hi James

What do you mean by

create an add on, where I could add this list to the back office and make changes there?

?

Is that related to your top menu content ?

If it does, you can just use the blocklink module, replace the default template by yours (this menu CSS) and adapt it to be loaded on the top of your shop (as your currently top menu bar).

• 1 month later...

James,

Do you have any idea how to customize this cart? The documentation is, well, lacking.

I just need a cart that fits into my design. Specifically in the maincontent class. Thus far I have found every cart seriously lacking and I downloaded this because I thought it might by a good choice...But now I'm afraid I may have waisted my time yet again.

Any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Hi TripleMoons,

Welcome to the PrestaShop Forum. :)

It's true the documentation is lacking; please keep in mind that PrestaShop is still in beta. We'll have a lot more tech doc in place by the time we go live with our first official, stable release, v1.0, in about a month's time.

Until then, PrestaShop is stable enough to be able to enter your product catalog, tweak the various elements (taxes, delivery zones, payment options, etc.) and start adapting your graphical interface to the PrestaShop code.

To customize your theme, make a copy of the default template (/themes/default) and change the .css stylesheet (/themes/default/css/style.css).

If you are unable or don't have the time to create your own customized interface to your liking, you can e-mail us at [email protected] to request an estimate on time & cost to have this done by our pro services team.  You could also, of course, hire a freelance programmer to do it for you.

As for as the various admin tools in the Back Office, is there any functionality I can clarify for you?

I know that the CSS file (as well as the tpl files) need edited. There is much, much more involved then just changing the CSS with what I want to do. I have noticed a number of problems in the CSS coding in the default template and I have gotten thoroughly agitated having to fix the problems while trying to customize it. I've spent about 6 hours working on it now and I'm throwing in the towel...It's giving me a headache.

It is a very nice plug and play shopping cart script from what I see for someone that just wants to use the default skins. I also found the administrative panel very visually appealing and fairly easy to use.

Maybe in a few months it'll be refined enough to meet my needs. Good luck with it; the back end's beautiful (and I got a kick out of the colors in the install, nice to see something that isn't flat white).

We're sorry for the headaches.  We'd love to know what problems you encountered with the CSS coding, and especially with any solutions you found. What are your "needs", exactly? Can you be more specific?

We're in the process of overhauling our default template in time for v1.0. We take particular pride in creating clean code, so if you can help us in that regard, feel free.

In the meantime, we can assure you that users are not just limited to slight tweaks of the default skin.  Here are a few of our pro clients; others are in dev and will be going live soon.

mawaco.com

pop-line.com

csao.fr

dessinoriginal.com

Upcoming sites include :

http://www.4-pieds.fr

http://www.rapidomaine.fr

Not to mention, of course, the many great sites our current users are building and to which they'll soon be posting their shop links here in the Forum...right guys?  :D

Anyway, we do hope you stick around to help us iron out the kinks, but if not, best of luck with your shop and maybe we'll see you around these parts at a later date.

I am writing a tutorial on a total visual overhaul of prestashop. I anticipate that it will be avaliable in time for Version 1.0.0. The whole template system, css and things are very flexible and so many things can be done. Its just a case of patients. 8)

• 7 months later...