Exactly what do the translation packs do

Hi

Just looking at prestashop (currently use ECWID) as we want to develop internationally.

I presume I can import products via CSv file or similar (Can I also edit doing that?)

We have all our product titles, descriptions etc in English

If we install language packs in prestashop what happens? Do just the menu / instructions change or descriptions also?

I would like users from Germany to see the full site in German including prodict titles and descriptions etc

Any thoughts please?

Hi haylau,

First of all, yes you can import products via CSV,

As for your question about language packs, you have the opportunity to translate everything you want, from menus to modules to descriptions. I've included a screenshot of the Back Office to show you what I'm talking about. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

post-276528-0-91703800-1316100219_thumb.jpg

-Mike

Sorry Mike, another clarification please

Is the translation done on the fly? So if I set up the site in English, then install German, Italian, Spanish language packs etc. When someone from Germany or Italy see the site in their own language?

Or

Is it a site wide translation meaning I will need to set up different sites for different countries

The first I hope

If it is done on the fly, how does that sit with goolge / SEO etc

What i am needing is we sell nuts and bolts. If someone searches for U-bolt they will get to our site as it says U-bolt on the page, and Google picks that up - hey presto

But in Germany, someone will not type in U-bolt, but U-bolzen (I think). Now with the transalion pack installed, will Google have picked that phrase up?

Hi haylau,

The site should show up in the user's native language as long as that translation pack is installed. For example, I don't know where you are located, but if you visit www.PrestaShop.com it should default to your native language. And if not, or you would just like to change it, you can select from the flags at the top of the page to choose to switch everything to one of the other installed languages.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

-Mike

That is good news Mike

So what about Google (and the others) will they also pick up the foreign translation. So with one site, created in English with the word, say "Bolt". When visitors from Germany, France vist they WILL see Boltzen or boulon which is fabulous

BUT

Will google also pick those words up, so when someone in France searches on Google for boulon could they be directed to my site ?

Hi haylau,

There are always things you can do to improve your SEO, but Google should have no issues picking up on different translations.

If you want, you can check out one of our favorite PrestaShop websites, www.archiduchesse.com. You'll see that it's built with translations in French and English, but more importantly, you can also search for them in both French and English on Google.

If you search "Archiduchesse socks," you'll get the English language results on their page, and if you search "Archiduchesse chaussettes," you'll get their French page!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions, we'd love to help you make the switch to PrestaShop.

-Mike

I fear I am being totally thick :(

I have added the languages, and we get little flags on the front screen so that users can select their language. I think I am right in saying that the browser could well pick up the visitors language and select appropriately

All the menus and information pages are translated.

This only seems possible from the main front page though, event though the flags are on all page, they only work from the front. Correct?

Anyway, not my main problem. The main problem i have is the details about my products - they are always in English

The site you sent me to www.archiduchesse.com the product title and description changes according to language. How? Do I have to do manual translations somewhere?

This only seems possible from the main front page though, event though the flags are on all page, they only work from the front. Correct?

This is now sorted - must have been a glitch

My main problem remains:

The main problem i have is the details about my products - they are always in English

The site you sent me to www.archiduchesse.com the product title and description changes according to language. How? Do I have to do manual translations somewhere?

Hi Mike

Yes I have the translations in (See attachment)

So, you think that my product title and description SHOULD be translated?

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of a step by step procedure?

Ron

Mike

I have re-installed to make sure I have no corruptions. I then enabled just the German language pack. I then added one new product and entered the Title, short & long descriptions in English

As you can see from the site:

http://www.graphskill.co.uk/prestashop/en/

The default products all switch to German when language is changed. But for mine, the D-Shackle the text is not translated

When I created the item in the back office, I noticed a little flag next to the description box. On clicking the flag it seemed as though it wanted me to enter the text for that language

I wonder if we have been cross talking? Do I have to enter the German text in the Back Office for the description for then the system to work? If so then that is not translating on the fly. It would mean i would need to provide translations for all my products

I am confused

:(

Hi haylau,

Your store should absolutely translate on the fly, I even tested this on one of our test sites to make sure of this before my previous post.

I just took a look at it for you and tried to replicate the issue on our test shop, and it appears to be an issue restricted to the German translation pack. I will make a note of it to report to our developers.

If you want to check out the page I created to test this out, click here and try toggling the languages to see how it should work. And meantime, I will see what I can do to get this taken care of for you.

-Mike

Thanks for looking in to this Mike

You have entered two new products - NoPic and Tulips

If I just look at Tulips

In the original French, when I click the Tulips it shows the title as "tulips" and the description as

"Tulipany"

When I switch to English Title is still "Tulips" and Description is still "Tulipany", German in the same. Spanish shows now description as all

This does not look to be translating

:wacko:

Perhaps there is an issue at my end, though I have tried all three popular browsers

Do you see the words Tulip and Tulipany translated? into Tulipe and Tulipes?

Hi haylau,

That was actually from an earlier test for another user. "Tulipany" is actually something we entered manually into the description field for this test, along with a few other modifications. If you would like to see the way PrestaShop is set up to translate on the fly, please try clicking on the Macbook and checking the translations there.

-Mike

Mike, I have looked at the MacBook and also in the Back Office (on my install), and that has translated text entered into the description boxes.

Fabien Serny has just sent me a reply on twitter and he says that on the fly translation is NOT possible with database items such as these

In other words all the labels can be translated, but what I type in as description and titles has to be hand translated, Prestashop can then switch to the desired text

Thanks, I would love you to be correct. We have >800 products on ECWID, and we want to start targeting foreign language customers, but manual translation would be a slow nightmare

Please keep me informed