Free Shipping on Some Products?

Greetings,

Is there any way to make some products have free shipping.

I read a solution about using the "free shipping starts at weight of" and making the products I want to have free shipping heavier than that weight.

That part works great - problem is when someone adds more products to the cart that are NOT free shipping - they still get it because of the one item.

Certainly I can't have the only store that offers free shipping on specific items? There has to be a module (free or low cost would be good) - or some kind of code mode that would allow a checkbox or product attribute so that product is ignored when it comes to shipping calculations.

I just had a multiple item order come in with 0 shipping costs because one small item was set to take the weight limit over so free shipping would apply.

This should be a standard feature in prestashop - everyone from newegg to amazon - to pretty much every store offers a special of free shipping on various items.

• Like 3

Hello,

I have been puzzled by this also for a while looking for solutions and searching forums and google and had it set up like you mention which is not great when a lower cost item can override shipping because of weight, I wanted to offer Gift vouchers and also Free shipping on certain items and a set category so I have sat down today and finally worked out how to offer free shipping, it works fine for me so I hope this post helps some people out.

In short, you need to do something like this, I may not have written it in the correct order so change the steps around if I have, anyway set up a carrier first if you have not set one up.

I have also attached an image of how I have my weights set up as an example incase its not clear when you get to this step.

I could go in depth on all the shipping set up but this is regarding setting up free shipping so if you follow the steps below it will work, providing you have your other carriers set up correctly aswell.

Prestashop version 1.4.4.1

Step 1:

Go to: Shipping>Carriers>

Name your Carrier e.g Free Shipping

Tick the zones you want it available for

Set Billing to According to Total Weight

Set Out of range behaviour to DISABLE CARRIER (This is important otherwise it wont work)

Save

Step 2:

Click on the Shipping Tab

Select billing according to weight

In the Fees box select your Free Shipping carrier and enter 0.00 for all the zones its applicable to.

Step 3:

Click on Shipping> Weight Ranges

+Add New

Select the Free Shipping Carrier you created

Enter in your weight ranges 0.00 - 0.19 (Obviously, you can change the number to a lower value such as 0.0019 etc but this is how I have it set up)

Step 4:

Find all your products you want to offer Free shipping on and set the weight to 0.01 (Obviously, you can change the number but this is how I have it set up)

Ensure all the products you want to charge for shipping are set at a weight of 0.2 and above

Simple as that really, as long as you follow this method and use low values (high values wont work) and ensure your carrier is disabled and all your other shipping weights, zones are set up correctly shipping will be charged on the items you want and free on the ones you have set up.

This way it also means you can have your Free Shipping items in any category.

Obviously this is basic but it works as I have 7 carriers, 2 for UK, 2 for EU and 2 for Rest of the World plus the Free Shipping option.

The way it works for me is perfect, obviously this may not suit everyone but it certainly is the simplest solution rather than messing around creating groups and so on until Prestashop develop a way to just tick the product for Free Shipping.

On my site for example: Someone buys a gift voucher or a free shipping product then they get Free Shipping and 0.00 shows up in their cart, if they then add a item I charge shipping for, the Free carrier is then disabled due to the weight settings and the normal shipping rate comes into effect, if they add 2 products the normal rate shipping becomes disabled and my tracked service carrier comes into effect.

I hope I havent missed anything out, as I am just writing this whilst its fresh in my mind while I am editing my Free shipping products.

post-287882-0-82691700-1316376372_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

thank you for documenting your approach, the only thing I see incorrect on your range configuration is the overlap of the amounts, and that might be why you have to disable the carrier for out of range.

For example you have these 2 ranges. Your "to" range is 0.19, but all your other "from" ranges are 0.2. Since the "to" ranges are excluded, you have a gap in that products weight 0.19 will not be considered.

Royal Mail Free 0 to 0.19

Royal Mail EU 0.2 to 0.39

Instead you want to make sure there is no gap, by doing this...

Royal Mail Free 0 to 0.2

Royal Mail EU 0.2 to 0.39

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

You would think there would be options like, if you are doing shipping by weight, then it adds the price, but if the customer goes over a certain price, then they get free shipping, so therefore you would be going by weight until a certain price is met, then free shipping kicks in, but if you want to offer shipping on this weight, but not that weight, then you are just being picky...make it simple for yourself and customers, if their weight = this price amount = free shipping ie: 5pounds = $20 = Free Shipping or 3pounds = $19 = Your Shipping Rate is $x.xx, or make it simple, estimate the weight to price, if they meet or exceed that price then they get free shipping...

Edited by dsimms (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

If you do it like ed-watches.co.uk suggests there is a problem with confirmation emails.

The customer will get two confirmation emails, one for each carrier...

(for orders where both the free and the non-free carrier is selected)

But it can be done also by defining two weight ranges within one carrier:

define one weight range for which the shipping is X. Define another weight range for which the shipping is free.

ie:

1st weight range 0 - 0.1 --> shipping is 5€

2nd weight range 0.1 - 1000000 --> shipping is 0

now set package weight on all items you want free shipping on to 0.1, and leave package weight on all other products not set.

This feature should be part of presta core!

• 11 months later...

Have you guys tried out the Shopping Cart Rule option?

All you have to do is create a Cart Price Rule in which you can select certain products and set the Free Delivery option; that way you don't have to modify all the products, just add some new ones, or even better, create a category that is called Free Delivery and associate the products you want to that, and in the price rule select the option that specifies all product from that category and BOOM, you are done ;)

Hope this helps - for future reference at least

Edited by tony_mik (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Have you guys tried out the Shopping Cart Rule option?

All you have to do is create a Cart Price Rule in which you can select certain products and set the Free Delivery option; that way you don't have to modify all the products, just add some new ones, or even better, create a category that is called Free Delivery and associate the products you want to that, and in the price rule select the option that specifies all product from that category and BOOM, you are done ;)

Hope this helps - for future reference at least

This seems add free shipping to all items in the cart, unless I am missing something?

• 1 year later...

Having the same problem as wrkalot. If you have one item in the cart that is free shipping and one item in the cart that is not, ALL items in the cart now have the option of free shipping. There has to be a better way....

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What about products which are products without shipping costs because these are files that will be manually sent by email on another moment (not a downloadable product with an existing url from before)?

That product must not have a shipping cost. From the moment another product is in the basket, the shipping costs will be applied.

Is it a good idea to set the "send by email file" product as a virtual product without setting the url, expiration date, .... Just making virtual product 1 instead of 0?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone figured a solution for this.  I somehow had this fixed in 1.6 and then I upgraded to 1.7.6.5 and it worked for a day and then stopped.  I've tried everything and can't get this to work.  We have 4 virtual products that are gift vouchers that can only be used in our store.  If someone buys the voucher it displays a free carrier but says 2-8 days delivery.  But if you add any other product it crashes on checkout saying no carriers are available.  I've created a free delivery carrier and changed the virtual product to a normal product and it works, but only if the voucher is purchased on its own.  as soon as you add another product, you can't check out again because it says no carriers available.

We have over 25000 products and product weights are on an external database via a module which calculate shipping costs instantly, so adding weight to all products is not an option.

We sell a lot of gift vouchers so don't want to pull the product so really need a solution for this.