How to make my local prestashop online?

Hi all,

I'm new at prestashop. I have 1.4.2.5 version of ps on my local machine(wamp server). I've built this one e-shop by prestashop but I have nothing online. Now it's time to make it online. There are many helpful documents how to install prestashop on the web but they are all clean installs (I mean "download ps from prestashop.com->unzip files into your server->go to 'install' directory etc... and you have a clean online store).

How can I upload my locally ready shop to the online server for the first time?

Here are my notes to myself on Moving a localhost prestashop to a webserver.

Hope they help. I use PS 1.4

1. After getting your hosting, use an FTP program (eg dreamweaver or other) to upload the contents of your prestashop folder into the root directory. On the localhost, my files were kept in a folder inside htdocs directory. Perhaps you have a different configuration.

2. Export the SQL database using phpmyadmin from the localhost. You can find phpmyadmin from the MAMP or WAMP welcome screen. You would have used this to create your prestashop database when you installed it.
The settings I used were:
In phpmyadmin
Under Export, use select all, and click on SQL

Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION / EVENT
Add IF NOT EXISTS
Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
Enclose table and field names with backquotes
check these options under the structure.

In the field provided, type a filename for your export, click on gzipped option in and click GO at bottom right of screen.
It should land in the downloads folder. Go and locate this file.

3. On your webhosting control panel, go and find the section where they allow you to create a SQL database.
On my hosting it was “Add SQL database” – part of the cPanel.

Create the new database and select all privileges.
Ensure you select a good database name, with a strong password. You wont be needing to access this often so it doesnt have to be memorable.
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you write all the settings down! Preferably COPY/PASTE into a dedicated document.
Then, choose the phpmyadmin part from the cPanel.
Choose the database you just created, and click on the import tab.
Locate the file you just exported (above) from your local hard drive.
make sure “utf8” is selected.
format should be SQL, click “GO”

4. On your webserver, navigate to config/settings.inc.php file and edit the settings to line up with the new database details.

define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/<your folder name on the web server>/');
define('_THEME_NAME_', '<the mame of your theme>');
define('_DB_NAME_', '<the name of your database>');
define('_DB_SERVER_', 'localhost');
define('_DB_USER_', '<the name of the user you specified when creating your web based SQL database>');
define('_DB_PREFIX_', 'ps_');
define('_DB_PASSWD_', '<the password of the user you specified when creating your web based SQL database>');
define('_DB_TYPE_', 'MySQL');
define('_COOKIE_KEY_', '<the same cookie key that was in the local host version of this file>');
define('_COOKIE_IV_', '<the same cookie key that was in the local host version of this file>');
define('_PS_VERSION_', '1.3.6.0');

The things to change are in between < >.

5. You then need to change the .htaccess file in the root folder that was generated on your localhost.
The best way is to copy the contents of the file.
Then go to your backend (on the web) – you should be able to login my now.
Under tools, generators. Generate a new .htaccess.
Edit the new(web) one and compare it with the localhost version. Add any additions that the localhost version had. Some modules require you to paste some code into it.

You should have your shop up and running after this.

Please let me know if I have made any errors / anything to contribute.
Note, I have little experience with these things so probably unable to help answer questions, but post them here anyway and hopefully one of the contributors will be able to help out.

6. Finally, my database localhost when imported to my server database contained configuration settings that redirected the front-end to localhost.
I fixed this by using phpmyadmin on my server, finding my prestashop database, navigating to the ps_configuration table, found the following:

155 PS_SHOP_DOMAIN localhost 
156 PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL localhost

and changed to:
155 PS_SHOP_DOMAIN http://www.mydomain.com
156'>http://www.mydomain.com
156 PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL http://www.mydomain.com

Cheers, Nik

• Like 3

Hi Nik

Thanks for those instructions. I'm having problems as I've moved my website (but kept it on the same webspace) from one temporary folder to the main folder as I want the public to see it. I'm new to all this but learning fast! The website is visible but the products are not so the link to the database is broken. I've checked the ps_configuration table and the ps_shop domain is correct as far as I can tell. I've also updated the settings.inc.php. I didnt export or import the database when I moved the site. I simply downloaded the entire prestashop folders and files to my C: drive and then uploaded them all into the new folder.

By the way under the database settings in the Back Office my Server says 'localhost' which I'm not sure about. Also I dont have a .htaccess file and many people mention this when they talk about moving a prestashop. Could this be the problem? Sorry if I sound daft but this is new to me.

I had also problem with moving prestashop to other shop. (I moved the presta from shop.olddomain.sk to ab-zdravie.sk/cero/ .)

I red posts on this Forum and also on others, but I have not solved this problem.

- I copyed the web - as mentioned

- I export and import database - as mentioned

- I changed settings.inc.php - as mentioned

- I changed PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL - as mentioned

- What I did not meke, is anything conected with .htaccess, since on my old host was not any.

Statue:

- The BackOffice works perfect.

- The FrontOffice does not work.

The FrontOffice behave in this way:

- Internet Explorer - page is redirected to olddomain shop - I do not know Why since I change all old domain expresion in database.

- Opera - Error - You tried to access the address http://www.ab-zdravie.sk/cero/, which is currently unavailable.

- Firefox - Error - blank page

- Chrome - Error - Oops! Google Chrome could not find http.

Strange is, that Chrome show the URL http://http//ab-zdravie.sk/cero//, however all domail name on web and in dadabase are just ab-zdravie.sk and PS_BASE_URI id defined as "/cero/".

So I really do not know what is the problem.

Do anybody have any idea?

If you want to move your shop from local to online there is only three steps:

1. Copying all files inside your web account through FTP

2. Copying your local PrestaShop database's data to your online database

3. Editing your setting.inc.php file

You seem to have completed the steps 1. & 2. successfully.

So only the last step is an obstacle to your online shop.

1. Inside the /config/setting.inc.php file you should change your PS_BASE_URI to "/" because you uploaded the PrestaShop files on the root of your web space (it is not anymore located in the folder "shop" which was on your local machine)

2. DB_NAME should be yuda01_myshop

3. DB_USER should be admin

4. Finally DB_PASSWD should be admin01

OK, I found solution.

The problem were prermitions for direstories and sb-directiries. I had set the 777 before but I do not know why all this staff had had permition 775. So now also the frontoffice works same as on old host.

My experiences for moving from one host to other:

- if your front office do not run and back office is without images and CSS stile you did not changed the old domin name to new one in database (PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL) or in back office Preferences/SEO&URLs

(note: if you want t place the shop in subdirectory e.g. example.com/shop/ , just set the new domain name example.com and than set subdirectory in config/settings.ini.php as follow:

define('__PS_BASE_URI__', '/shop/');

- if your front office do not run and back office works with out any mistake, the problem is permitions of direstories and subdirectories, so set permition 777 as mention in instalation process.

If you want to move your shop from local to online there is only three steps:

1. Copying all files inside your web account through FTP

2. Copying your local PrestaShop database's data to your online database

3. Editing your setting.inc.php file

You seem to have completed the steps 1. & 2. successfully.

So only the last step is an obstacle to your online shop.

1. Inside the /config/setting.inc.php file you should change your PS_BASE_URI to "/" because you uploaded the PrestaShop files on the root of your web space (it is not anymore located in the folder "shop" which was on your local machine)

2. DB_NAME should be yuda01_myshop

3. DB_USER should be admin

4. Finally DB_PASSWD should be admin01

@theme_designer

how do i have to do step 2?

• 8 months later...

i have tried to move my shop from local to online and i have followed all the mentioned steps but i'm still getting the message:

"Link to database cannot be established."

I'm not able to access the frontoffice neither the backoffice.

:(

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

At the start I want to let  you all know im newbe with this stuf.

My website shop is finish and I'm trying publish online. Unfortunately I have a problem with firs step ( if I understand corretly) as from unknow reason I cant find prestashop folder on my PC.

I did have some other problem before when I was updatig my presta to 1.5.6.2 -that is solved but could that be a reason that i cant find this doc?. Can I get some advice please as I realy dont know what to do next.

Many thanks,

Anna

Hello All,

At the start I want to let  you all know im newbe with this stuf.

My website shop is finish and I'm trying publish online. Unfortunately I have a problem with firs step ( if I understand corretly) as from unknow reason I cant find prestashop folder on my PC.

what server software you use on your PC?