comparison to opencart

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying Opencart because of problems with Prestashop attributes. Would highly recommend Prestashop for stores which require only a couple of options on products but any more than a couple of attributes and it becomes unmanageable. So Prestashop is great for bookshops, bad for shops with products requiring combinations such as custom clothing, engineering parts, configurable pc's etc.

Prestashop has more modules and a bigger community and I would have said better developer support by way of being run by a team, however in my recent experience, this makes little difference in practice.

I looked at Opencart but bit concerned about the one man band.

I am not confident that it can be trusted if I am running a large shop and the one guy called David is the only person you hear about who develops and is the face of opencart?

Not sure if Opencart team is well organised plus the system looks a bit tacky.

But with Prestashop I think the development team are too slow to respond on key requests like 'attribute' is a problem currently. See threads in this forum about attiribute..they are very slow to respond and reluctant to do anything so far and many people have move on to other carts like magento for example.

Not sure if they don't understand or don't listen or don't care at all, but response is very slow and poor on some things.

Plus not enough themes in Prestashop, hope they can put more selection.

Hi everyone!

Please PM me if you want to know how I got on with an OpenCart install as probably not appropriate to discuss on rival software on this forum.

Quite the contrary.
We (not like other rivals :roll:) are open to discussion and even comparison with competitors if it is constructive.
So feel free to talk about them on the forum (since it is discussed on the right section :P)
  • Like 1

But with Prestashop I think the development team are too slow to respond on key requests like 'attribute' is a problem currently. See threads in this forum about attiribute..they are very slow to respond and reluctant to do anything so far and many people have move on to other carts like magento for example.

Not sure if they don't understand or don't listen or don't care at all, but response is very slow and poor on some things.

Are you talking about the product combination interface? The product combination performances?
Could you please be more specific about that "attribute" issue?

just playing with opencart for a couple of hours, so two points from a common user:

1. opencart does better in product attribute management, simple and easy even for a noob.
2. opencart has a bulit-in product review system. for prestashop i personally use productcomments as "productreviews" which needs a lot of MODIFICATIONS to make it work at FO as a block showing the recent reviews, and to display the ratings of review for each product at FO. meanwhile the comments can NOT be modified except getting into DB.

Are you talking about the product combination interface? The product combination performances?
Could you please be more specific about that "attribute" issue?

I think it's both - on the one hand there's a performance issue which can cause database crashes with too many attributes
but for me the main problem is attribute management. For example - I can set up maybe five attributes for a product, but to associate an image to each one (if using colours for example) can mean scrolling down a lit of over 1000 'products' to have to alter them one buy one - as you can't leave a bookmark it's almost impossible to manage more than 20 product combinations without losing the plot.

In Opencart, you have a product and you add as many attributes with their options as you want. Although you can't globally make a change to an attribute, I don't generally feel the need to. Although you need to add a module, you can clone a product with it's options and attributes to speed things up.

If Prestashop could sort this out, it would be back where it should be, No1. on my list !

I have to say I was very excited to work with Prestashop on my latest ecommerce job. It has a lot of great features and is super slick and is a great start. However I've found lots of mysterious bugs and dead ends, also not having any payment modules available is a big problem. I have to say, I'm going to give Open Cart a shot to compare.

• 4 weeks later...

I think its horses for courses, we use both prestashop and opencart, the only real downside i would say of opencart, is it does not display shipping costs till checkout, as far as i am concerned this is a big customer killer

• 3 months later...

Guys, I'm new on Prestashop and I come from Opencart, I had a discussion with developers because there's a non true assertion in Opencart's features: Unlimited categories.
it's not true that it supports unlimited categories, it's true it can support about 300-500 categories with an acceptable fastness, if you put in that db 8000 categories just like I need, you can't use anymore that site, the code to handle categories is very bad coded.
I've tryed the same on Prestashop and it goes very well on frontoffice (some problem on backoffice in add product, that charges all categories at once, but resolvible with ajax).
For me Opencart sucks...Prestashop rules...

• Like 1