Could there be database compatibility issues between 2 different versions of Prestashop?

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible that the MySQL database which was created with version 1.3.6 is not compatible with version 1.4.1 or 1.4.2

I ask because I can successfully do a fresh install of the latest version with a new empty database. When I try to update with my old database the update is not successful. When I try to apply my old database in the back office to the new fresh instal of latest version once it is complete, then I can access both front and back offices yet modules tab is empty and front page of my website is corrupted and non functional (links missing, actually the whole bottom of the page and the links that are present are messed up as well)

Have anyone ever came across such a problem? Would anyone know how to fix or what to do in such situation?

Also, if anyone know where can I find the instructions to reversing the whole process of updating and returning my old version that I backup before the update?

Thank you very very much.