Store Front Page - Error 404: NOT FOUND!

I have successfully installed the Prestashop 1.4.1.0 in the "prestashop" folder on my 1&1;server a week ago and was able to see my test store in the browser as http://www.bqcleaners.com/prestashop/

Today I tried to pull it up in the browser and it keeps redirecting me to http://bqcleaners.com/prestashop/en/ and returns an "Error 404: NOT FOUND!" page. At the same time I can still login into my back office with all the products and categories in place, like nothing happened.

Did anybody experience something similar and can offer an explanation and a fix? I really appreciate your time and help.

Thanks, Eugene.

Thanks, Sonny22!

The strange thing is that for a week or so it was showing perfectly from the directory I installed the shop to. But then it started to redirect the viewers to "en" folder, probably because the language of my shop is English. There's nothing in the documentation or forums which says that this is what happens based on the store's language. Additionally, the back office works as it should [spam-filter] from the same directory which it was installed to...

I'm puzzled... I'm sure people encountered something similar and maybe somebody will comment sometimes soon... That would be really helpful...

Thanks, Eugene.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the same issue, mine is possibly caused by removing the no longer required languages. But now when I log onto my store it re-directs to www.domainname/store/en and not the shops main page and then comes up with "Page not found". Always seems to be the little things in life!

Obviously it is redirecting for a reason and should be a simple fix.

Parts Lunacy

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to solve this problem?

This is what I have noticed (using 1.4.1 and 1.4.2.5):

In IE, the browser is redirected to www.mydomain.tld/en when I request www.mydomain.tld
This only happens in IE i.e. in other browsers, e.g. FF or Chrome, the browser is not redirected to /en

The problem occurs ONLY if you deactivate or delete the french language in Prestashop.

At first I thought that this has something to do with the language settings in the IE browser configuration, because I had 'en-GB' set in IE, while in the other browsers I also had 'en-US' and/or 'en' set. However could not replicate the problem if I removed the extra languages from FF or Chrome, or by adding additional languages in IE.

Would appreciate some help on this one.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I found out that if i replace the index.php with one of an older version it works ok. It seems that the code in the index.php causes the file to be banned by apache security module.

No help sofar to use the original index.php from the newest version.

• 1 year later...

Linux : edit the file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

#

# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.

# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:

# Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit

#

AllowOverride None to ==> AllowOverride All

• 10 months later...

I had a similar problem because once you set the "friendly URL" it writes the .htaccess, if you then disable languages it shows 404, as it does not modify the .htaccess. The only way is to disable and enable friendly URL so it re-writes the .htacess

How to resolve:

1) Set friendly URL to off

2) Disable / Enable languages you want

3) Set friendly URL to on

Edited by kkm (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I cannot see the front page of the store. My back end works fine. I have tried reinstalling the program about 3 times and still have not gotten it to work. I have not deleted anything in the program so language issue is not my problem. I am using version 1.5.4.1. I went into file manager and I do not see an htaccess file in the directory where the program is installed. I see some in sub directories though, but I do not know if this is supposed to be like this I am not a programmer nor do I understand much about writing files. 2 weeks ago I had installed the program and it worked fine but deleted it for some reason. I have used different directory names so files from elsewhere should not be interfering.

Any ideas please?

Thank you,

Steven

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...