Is this possible to upgrade PrestaShop version 1.4 to current version?

I am new to prestashop and my project manager give me a task that was to modify a very old project which is based on prestashop version 1.4. Should I upgrade to newest version before I start working on the project? Is this possible to upgrade from 1.4 to current version?

On 12/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, endriu107 said:

I think you must update your store, best way is create new shop on test domain and work on it and then migrate all data to new shop.

Thanks for answering. I also want to migrate theme to current version. Is this possible? Where can I find steps for migrating theme for this one?

On 12/23/2022 at 4:11 AM, John Zaw said:

Thanks for answering. I also want to migrate theme to current version. Is this possible? Where can I find steps for migrating theme for this one?

everything is possible, its a question of $ you are willing to shell out.

In your case best would be all new, but test before if your modules are also able to update.

Edited by Nickz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, endriu107 said:

Structure of theme now is totally different so after upgrade you must create your theme from basic or use default "classic" theme, or buy theme.

Thanks. I am now planning of how to migrate.
1. Themes (I will create from basic which exactly look like with old version since my boss want to keep the old UI in his website.)
2. Data (we have custom fields and tables in old project. I need to figure how to migrate them)
3. modules (to make sure all the modules in old project are still usable in 8.0 version. Or I have to find alternatives that work with 8.0 version).

Is this in the right order to do? and thanks again for your answer.

Edited by John Zaw (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John Zaw said:

Thanks. I am now planning of how to migrate.
1. Themes (I will create from basic which exactly look like with old version since my boss want to keep the old UI in his website.)
2. Data (we have custom fields and tables in old project. I need to figure how to migrate them)
3. modules (to make sure all the modules in old project are still usable in 8.0 version. Or I have to find alternatives that work with 8.0 version).

Is this in the right order to do? and thanks again for your answer.

I think it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, John Zaw said:

as for data transfer, I would recommend doing it via export/import to avoid issues. you can use, for example, store manager https://www.prestashopmanager.com/useful-articles/how-to/how-to-transfer-prestashop-database-to-another-store/ (there's a trial available). it allows making a backup before import of products, categories, orders, customers (with passwords btw) etc. also, for import you can use bridge type of connection (it creates a local database on PC) and in case you're not satisfied with the import result, you can perform Get operation to revert the changes you made (imported data)

when upgrading from 1.4

you upgrade in steps 1.5 then 1.6 then 1.7

I found that to work best.

Note:  migration tools will not 'import' everything, what they don't import you won't know until you do it.  I have not seen one that migrates passwords....if this is case then you can change 'lost password' to 'we lost your password' loooool

good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:21 AM, John Zaw said:

Thanks. But I found that structure of theme is completely different now. Will it be ok for themes too, if I upgrade step by step like you mentioned?

Hi, first make a list of all 3rd parry modules and of course theme.  You will need all new 3rd party modules compliant for 1.7, theme as well.

Create a test copy of your production shop, here is where you will do ps, module and theme upgrades.

When u are happy with the upgrade, this test copy will replace your production, import into new shop first new orders and customers and make switch.

Or you can hire an agency to create upgraded shop, they will be able to create a new shop far beyond what you will be able to accomplish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1