Why is PHP 8 support so late?!

babyewok

Why is PHP 8 support so late? My host has just announced that it will update PHP to 8.1 in October and remove PHP 7.4 one month later. Currently, there is no stable version of prestashop that is compatible with PHP 8.1, so what are we to do?

I feel Prestashop have really dropped the ball on this occasion.

I agree - I will have the same problem in the middle of November - right within xmas season. 

But it is quite telling, that nobody answers. There either is no solution, or nobody cares any longer.

And no, I don't have a solution. I will change hosting provider to a company that allows for PHP7.4 and in parallel, I am switching to shopware.

Edited by Netzfischer (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:11 PM, endriu107 said:

In few weeks probably in end of October there will be release PrestaShop 8 and it will support PHP 8.1, so all you need is update your store to newest version when it show up.

Not sure if upgrading to the first versions from PS 8 1 month before Black Friday and 2 months before Christmas would be a good idea 😅 I think it would be better to change the hosting even.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joseantgv said:

Not sure if upgrading to the first versions from PS 8 1 month before Black Friday and 2 months before Christmas would be a good idea 😅 I think it would be better to change the hosting even.

I tkink now is best time to make test upgrade on store for those who must immidiatly change their php version to preper for upgrade to final version, but I agree with you any upgrade should be planned. That fast expiration of support php 7.4 on server should give user info that it will happend again in future and best solution is change server.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You said about Prestashop 8 launching end of October. Now it is end of November (1 day later). They are still in beta release. I can say that Prestashop development on new PHP version is very slow since the version 1.6. PHP 7.4 is already end of life today and Prestashop stable version is not yet available for public. I can see a major step down that people will find it hard to use Prestashop as more and more hosting providers will not provide PHP 7+ anymore due to maintenance issue.

Just now, endriu107 said:

Prestashop 8 was released at 26 October 2022 https://build.prestashop-project.org/news/prestashop-8-0-0-available/

This version is compatibility with PHP 8.1

I have seen that build. I don't think it is ready for public use because it is still hosted in github. Not for end users. If it is ready, it should be made available in the front download section (which is still version 1.7). 

19 minutes ago, endriu107 said:

It is on github only because there isn't available autoupgrade module, soon this module should be ready and then it will be available also on the front download section too.

If the autoupgrade module is part of the core function of prestashop, then the build is still not finalized (it shouldn't be called a final version). I believe that autoupgrade module was an optional module back in Prestashop 1.7, it's not compulsory to have that module installed (not sure if that is a core module in Prestashop 8). I understand that a lot of things have not yet been ready. The prestashop demo page still uses v1.7. So everything seems like in the beta stage. Installing Prestashop from github version is not recommended for production because the code keeps changing. If it is ready, it should be in the front download page and I strongly believe it's not going to happen this year :).  Nothing new that Prestashop stable release supporting each PHP release is slow. We have seen it, we've all been there. Wordpress on the other hand is always up to date with the latest PHP version. The only reason I still keep 2 PHP versions on my hosting is because of Prestashop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaXi32 said:

If the autoupgrade module is part of the core function of prestashop, then the build is still not finalized (it shouldn't be called a final version). I believe that autoupgrade module was an optional module back in Prestashop 1.7, it's not compulsory to have that module installed (not sure if that is a core module in Prestashop 8). I understand that a lot of things have not yet been ready. The prestashop demo page still uses v1.7. So everything seems like in the beta stage. Installing Prestashop from github version is not recommended for production because the code keeps changing. If it is ready, it should be in the front download page and I strongly believe it's not going to happen this year :).  Nothing new that Prestashop stable release supporting each PHP release is slow. We have seen it, we've all been there. Wordpress on the other hand is always up to date with the latest PHP version. The only reason I still keep 2 PHP versions on my hosting is because of Prestashop.

You are right. But I'm pretty sure that from now on they are going to improve this delay.

• Thanks 1

Autoupgrade module is not a part of core like before, If this version was available like other version some user for sure will try use autoupgrade module to upgrade their stores to newest version. This operation now will break their shops. PrestaShop 8 is ready and if someone need change PHP version to 8.0 or 8.1 they can create new store or migrate existing store to newst version. Demo page and adding download link in front section of prestashop.com is in schedule, all needs time.

• 1 month later...