Language selector - inline flags - no dropdown - no text

A search revealed this topic has been touched on before, but not specifically for this. Well...not for PS1.7.

Firstly, flags don't appear in the language selector in mobile layout, only text. Looking at the theme code, they should, but don't.

However, rather than try to fix this, I would much prefer that both the dropdown selector and text were replaced entirely by just inline flags (two on my site). Having the flags next to each other is by far the most obvious and convenient way for folks to change language, as well as for them to immediately see that they can change it and what's available.

I would want this for full desktop and mobile layouts.

Can anybody help me achieve this? I'm not a coder, but am fully at home with making changes to files. 🙂

Each template has different styles, javascripts and hooks.
I don't know your template.
The style of the module can be modified.
Just turn on debug mode and insert the error here.
Previous changes are reverted?
Is the module attached to the correct hook of your template?

Is the ps_languageselector module disabled?

Edited by 4you.software (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 4you.software said:

Each template has different styles, javascripts and hooks.
I don't know your template.
The style of the module can be modified.
Just turn on debug mode and insert the error here.
Previous changes are reverted?
Is the module attached to the correct hook of your template?

Is the ps_languageselector module disabled?

Yeah, hook position.... 🙄😵

Worked well this morning after I'd had sleep and actually set the hook.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, 4you.software said:

Good work.
I mentioned it in the description, it just wanted to sleep 😉

OK, I spoke a little soon. When I checked it earlier, I checked on desktop and a resized browser. It worked fine on both. However, when I now checked on an actual phone browser (Chrome and Edge), there was no selector. I cleared data and PS cache, but still nothing. 😕

On 10/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, 4you.software said:

Note that when you open the Menu on mobile, the footer also disappears. When unzipped, it overlaps the top as well, instead of moving it down. That Menu module has many bugs.

This is the highest rated and reviewed menu module in the store. However, it's now out of support cover (although still the latest version), so I'm changing to an alternative (Mega Menu Pro). Typically, although it looks like it fixes this issue, I discovered a major bug in the backend to do with language selection (also present in their backend demo site). It's currently impossible to create multi-language menus in the module. I'm now waiting for them to fix their demo site so I can get an updated package...

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, 4you.software said:

I'm also happy for the other users of the Mega Menu module that you are solving it. Good work.

Now that the new menu is in place, your module is working well, thanks. 👍🏻

I have also discovered that the problems you mentioned above appear to be with the template. At least, Advanced Menu has now been completely uninstalled.

I really do hate that the only remaining thing in the template mobile menu is the language selector. I would much prefer to get rid of that mobile menu altogether and move the language selector out to a permanent visible position (same as search, cart, login). There is a very strong arguement that the language selector is visually more important than both search and login. Is it possible to achieve this?

• Like 1

OK, I've never edited JS files. Perhaps it would be better to buy the pro version of the template and get the developer to do it.

EDIT: I just looked at the developer's demo for the template and the menu and template work perfectly together. So, maybe Advanced Menu stuffed up stuff and left it there after uninstall... 🙄

Edited by helsinkisisu (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi.

Well, that's what you often experience here. Anything called "Advaced" or "Pro" is not allowed in my customers' eshops.

The fact that TPL modules change files during installation and do not revert during uninstallation is also common recently. When I go to edit someone's e-shop and come across a "Page builder", I run away quickly.

Then people are surprised that the fixes are more expensive than some "Pro" module cost, and they don't realize that it takes several hours to study and examine tens of thousands of lines of pasted code. There are also many agencies that employ freelancers, let them create a module, and the freelancer doesn't cooperate with them anymore, and then they don't understand the code themselves.

So much for my knowledge.

• 4 months later...