Problem with prestashop dev installation on Windows 10

Good evening everyone,

recently I made the changes to the version released on the official prestashop website, but I realized that for a correct development it is necessary to use the project on github (e.g. I don't have the _dev folder, so consequently also the .scss files) .

My problem is that I tried to install the developer version using the guide https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/basics/installation/localhost/ but I can't do the final operations.

The main problem is the make assets command which from what I understand call the file ./tools/assets/build.sh which is a file for Linux systems.

I use windows10 with XAMPP php 7.4

My question is: is it possible to install the dev version on windows? If so, how?

Attached the terminal.

error.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The script will mainly execute NPM. I think you can run Composer an NPM on windows somehow manually so you don't need the script (use it as reference for the sequence of comands).

Are you sure you really need the dev version? If you want to develop modules or themes the release version or beta might be easier.

33 minutes ago, JBW said:

The script will mainly execute NPM. I think you can run Composer an NPM on windows somehow manually so you don't need the script (use it as reference for the sequence of comands).

Are you sure you really need the dev version? If you want to develop modules or themes the release version or beta might be easier.

The problem with the NON-DEV version is that the css and js files are already compiled so formatted crap. The online formatters have caused me trouble reformatting them being many lines

52 minutes ago, DrBeat1926 said:

The problem with the NON-DEV version is that the css and js files are already compiled so formatted crap. The online formatters have caused me trouble reformatting them being many lines

Anyway you are not supposted to change these files (as you will loose these changes with every upgrade). Rather implement/override im in custom.css and custom.js. To identify the CSS the inspect function in the browser will show it nicely.

20 hours ago, JBW said:

Ad ogni modo non sei obbligato a modificare questi file (poiché perderai queste modifiche ad ogni aggiornamento). Piuttosto implementa/sovrascrivi im in custom.css e custom.js. Per identificare il CSS, la funzione di ispezione nel browser lo mostrerà bene.

Thanks a lot, so with a custom css and js file I won't lose the changes when I update? Also I would like to ask you: should the tpl of the modules be changed in the modules folder or in themes / modules? I don't want the updates to cancel the changes.

10 minutes ago, DrBeat1926 said:

Thanks a lot, so with a custom css and js file I won't lose the changes when I update?

Yes correct

10 minutes ago, DrBeat1926 said:

lso I would like to ask you: should the tpl of the modules be changed in the modules folder or in themes / modules? I don't want the updates to cancel the changes.

Template changes should be done in a child-theme. Module tpl can be changed/overridden in the theme\*child_theme_name*\modules folder

Just now, JBW said:

si corretto

Le modifiche al modello devono essere eseguite in un tema figlio. Il modulo tpl può essere modificato/override nella cartella theme\*child_theme_name*\modules

I didn't really create a child theme, rather I copied the classic and pasted and named "my theme". It's wrong?

In this case you can't get any upgrades into your copied theme or you would have to compare the files and change them manually with every upgrade. A child theme allows use to override only the parts (blocks) where you really change something and inherit everything else from the up-to-date parent theme

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, JBW said:

In this case you can't get any upgrades into your copied theme or you would have to compare the files and change them manually with every upgrade. A child theme allows use to override only the parts (blocks) where you really change something and inherit everything else from the up-to-date parent theme

Thank you.

Last question: 

do you know where i can find bootstrap4 alpha docs?