[FREE MODULE] Vat checker

Inform-All

This module is all you need for intra-Community supply orders.
The module does the following:

• Automatically checks an VAT number for delivery address
  • Checks if it's a valid VAT number on the official VIES database
  • Gives 0% tax if a VAT is verified

761431932_vatoptions.thumb.png.92617c389f74b1e7c2d298f93b1cf869.png

In the settings of the module you fill in your companies Origin Country. Because you can't ship with 0% tax in the same country your company is based.
Every order is checked for their shipping address, NOT the invoice address.

Since the VIES database has some reoccurring offline time, there is an option in how to handle this.

Prestashop 1.7 & 8

Download: vatchecker.zip

Got any ideas or updates? 
Feel free to commit on GIT.

Like my work? Consider donating here.

Edited by Inform-All (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:16 AM, WorDym said:

Looks like it works great so far! I'd just like to ask - am I just blind, or is the phrase "EU VIES server not responding" not available for translation in the administration?

The translation should just be there.

International > Translations > Translation of modules > Vat Checker > your language

On 8/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, WorDym said:

Yes, I checked the traslation settings, but still can't see the phrase "EU VIES server not responding" over there in either "vatchecker" category or "configure".

image.png

image.png

That is actually really weird. I've tested it in multiple stores, and it always in the list of your screenshot.
Please reinstall the module to check if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
	private $euVatFormats = array(
		'AT' => '(AT)?U[0-9]{8}',                              # Austria
		'BE' => '(BE)?0[0-9]{9}',                              # Belgium
		'BG' => '(BG)?[0-9]{9,10}',                            # Bulgaria
		'CY' => '(CY)?[0-9]{8}[A-Z]',                          # Cyprus
		'CZ' => '(CZ)?[0-9]{8,10}',                            # Czech Republic
		'DE' => '(DE)?[0-9]{9}',                               # Germany
		'DK' => '(DK)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Denmark
		'EE' => '(EE)?[0-9]{9}',                               # Estonia
		'GR' => '(EL)?[0-9]{9}',                               # Greece
		'ES' => '(ES)?[A-Z][0-9]{7}(?:[0-9]|[A-Z])',              # Spain
		'FI' => '(FI)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Finland
		'FR' => '(FR)?[0-9A-Z]{2}[0-9]{9}',                    # France
		//'GB' => '(GB)?([0-9]{9}([0-9]{3})?|[A-Z]{2}[0-9]{3})', # United Kingdom // Brexit!
		'HR' => '(HR)?[0-9]{11}',                              # Croatia
		'HU' => '(HU)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Hungary
		'IE' => '(IE)?[0-9]{7}[A-Z]{1,2}',                     # Ireland
		'IE2' => '(IE)?[0-9][A-Z][0-9]{5}[A-Z]',               # Ireland (2)
		'IT' => '(IT)?[0-9]{11}',                              # Italy
		'LT' => '(LT)?([0-9]{9}|[0-9]{12})',                   # Lithuania
		'LU' => '(LU)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Luxembourg
		'LV' => '(LV)?[0-9]{11}',                              # Latvia
		'MT' => '(MT)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Malta
		'NL' => '(NL)?[0-9]{9}B[0-9]{2}',                      # Netherlands
		'PL' => '(PL)?[0-9]{10}',                              # Poland
		'PT' => '(PT)?[0-9]{9}',                               # Portugal
		'RO' => '(RO)?[0-9]{2,10}',                            # Romania
		'SE' => '(SE)?[0-9]{12}',                              # Sweden
		'SI' => '(SI)?[0-9]{8}',                               # Slovenia
		'SK' => '(SK)?[0-9]{10}',                              # Slovakia
	);

in this list missing XI that is North Ireland and IE2 what is it?

As of 01/01/2021, the VoW service to validate UK (GB) VAT numbers ceased to exist while a new service to validate VAT numbers of businesses operating under the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland appeared. These VAT numbers are starting with the “XI” prefix, which may be found in the “Member State / Northern Ireland” drop down under the new entry “XI-Northern Ireland”. Moreover, any quote of “Member State” is replaced by “Member State / Northern Ireland” and any quote of “MS” is replaced by “MS / XI”. All traders seeking to validate UK (GB) VAT numbers may address their request to the UK Tax Administration.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/#/vat-validation

XI has same VAT syntax of GB VAT:

(XI)?([0-9]{9}([0-9]{3})?|[A-Z]{2}[0-9]{3})

please avoid the VIES check if the VAT code is in the same country of the Shop.

Edited by Hart (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I get the following message when calling up e.g. the shopping cart:

Unknown error in Zeile 719 der Datei /is/htdocs/wp1131087_P0JXD1MK8I/www/shop/modules/vatchecker/vatchecker.php
[8192] ltrim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated

Unknown error in Zeile 719 der Datei /is/htdocs/wp1131087_P0JXD1MK8I/www/shop/modules/vatchecker/vatchecker.php
[8192] ltrim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated

There have been no changes to the vatchecker. php 

45 minutes ago, Ritter said:

I get the following message when calling up e.g. the shopping cart:

There have been no changes to the vatchecker. php 

Has been bug fixed on git.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a problem with the VATChecker, the entered gross price suddenly is not accepted and strange behavior when changing the tax rule.
Shop country: Germany, VAT 19%
Uninstalled and reinstalled modules VATChecker, changed vatchecker.php as described on Github.

NCafmRJwTM.thumb.gif.0bad70751846ee702802af3c51258dd6.gif

On 1/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, Ritter said:

There is a problem with the VATChecker, the entered gross price suddenly is not accepted and strange behavior when changing the tax rule.
Shop country: Germany, VAT 19%
Uninstalled and reinstalled modules VATChecker, changed vatchecker.php as described on Github.

This bug is not related to the vat checker module. The moment you edit your tax incl price it should also edit the tax excl price. You have a different module/edit because your price edit display page is not the Prestashop's default. And besides that the Vatchecker module does not interfere with the product edit pages.

Thank you for the information.
Prestashop runs with the default theme and settings, only VAT Checker is installed as third-party module.
Presta is present on the European market, so I expected that the different VAT rates would incorporated in PS 8 - this is unfortunately not the case, a thrid-party module is nessesary .

Since it is not due to the VAT checker module, I am opening a new thread with the problem of incorrectly gross prices by saving.

• 3 weeks later...

there is something i don't understand here on this code (override) in your module

class TaxRulesTaxManager extends TaxRulesTaxManagerCore
{
	/**
	 * Return the tax calculator associated to this address.
	 * @return TaxCalculator
	 */
	public function getTaxCalculator()
	{
		static $tax_enabled = null;

if ( isset( $this->tax_calculator ) ) {
			return $this->tax_calculator;
		}

if ( null === $tax_enabled ) {
			$tax_enabled = Configuration::get( 'PS_TAX' );
		}

if ( $tax_enabled && $this->address ) {
			/** @var Vatchecker $vatchecker */
			$vatchecker = Module::getInstanceByName('vatchecker');
			if ( $vatchecker && $vatchecker->canOrderWithoutVat( $this->address ) ) {
				// Disable TAX.
				$tax_enabled = false;
			}
		}

if ( ! $tax_enabled ) {
			return new TaxCalculator( array() );
		}

return parent::getTaxCalculator();
	}
}

in BO config of the module you can select countries from EU where you can order without VAT (based on the note here)

image.png.3f72829679938b177e8541e887a6f5a5.png

Looking inside the code if i disable a country TAXATION is not applied?

Was mopre logical instead that if i dsable Spain flag in config i can order from there only if the customer as a VALID VAT number, because the UX and the message seems to indicate that i will forcing only VAT purcasing not liek i see in the code that is added or not the tax.

There is something i still misunderstanding here?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Hart said:

there is something i don't understand here on this code (override) in your module

class TaxRulesTaxManager extends TaxRulesTaxManagerCore
{
	/**
	 * Return the tax calculator associated to this address.
	 * @return TaxCalculator
	 */
	public function getTaxCalculator()
	{
		static $tax_enabled = null;

if ( isset( $this->tax_calculator ) ) {
			return $this->tax_calculator;
		}

if ( null === $tax_enabled ) {
			$tax_enabled = Configuration::get( 'PS_TAX' );
		}

if ( $tax_enabled && $this->address ) {
			/** @var Vatchecker $vatchecker */
			$vatchecker = Module::getInstanceByName('vatchecker');
			if ( $vatchecker && $vatchecker->canOrderWithoutVat( $this->address ) ) {
				// Disable TAX.
				$tax_enabled = false;
			}
		}

if ( ! $tax_enabled ) {
			return new TaxCalculator( array() );
		}

return parent::getTaxCalculator();
	}
}

in BO config of the module you can select countries from EU where you can order without VAT (based on the note here)

image.png.3f72829679938b177e8541e887a6f5a5.png

Looking inside the code if i disable a country TAXATION is not applied?

Was mopre logical instead that if i dsable Spain flag in config i can order from there only if the customer as a VALID VAT number, because the UX and the message seems to indicate that i will forcing only VAT purcasing not liek i see in the code that is added or not the tax.

There is something i still misunderstanding here?

Thanks!

I responded on Git :)

Hi, I just installed your module on my 1.7.8.8 and it gives me an errror when debug is ON

I'm afraid I can't give you access, because I'm working on localhost

PS: thank you for bringing back this feature free of charge, really appreciate it

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-01-30T15-37-50.887Z.png

1 hour ago, Shin_P said:

Hi, I just installed your module on my 1.7.8.8 and it gives me an errror when debug is ON

I'm afraid I can't give you access, because I'm working on localhost

PS: thank you for bringing back this feature free of charge, really appreciate it

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-01-30T15-37-50.887Z.png

What PHP version are you using?
Are you sure you can do a Soap call to the external VIES database?
It's a rather odd error message, please send me a DM if you need more help.

well it doesnt matter. on production seems to be working: debug is off and that was just a notice right? not an error, so nothing to worry about I hope

i also turned off the "Validation required" option and it works great, I will validate manually

thank you again, coffee is on me this morning 🤪

• Thanks 1

Hello

I have such a problem using a module in one page checkout.

When I go to the checkout is OK, the VATchecker module works OK.

But when I click the save personal data button, the module freezes, the testing bar does not appear and the error messages VAT number etc. are not displayed.

I have consulted with the manufacturer of The Checkout module and determined that

quotes
"Vatchecker module is using 'token', and it seems that when user account is saved, token changes, but vatchecker script does not update it and uses old token and (I'm guessing) when token is not valid, it doesn't return any value.
See where token is used in vatchecker's JS:
"

Anyone have any idea?

Regards

Gregory

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AcidLava said:

Hello, I have downloaded vatchecker-master.zip on github but set-up don't work. Prestashop tell me that something goes wrong and that it doesn't seem like a module.

I'm on 1.7.8.5, did I missed something ?

Thanks.

The zip file needs the exact same name as the module. So rename the zip to vatchecker.zip and you should be fine.
(or download the zip in the first post of this forum topic)

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't work with the GitHub version even with the right name. I couldn't download the first post .zip yesterday but here it works.

I'd like to know if, as a french shop, there is a way to make it works for french users as they are EU and selected in "Enabled EU countries" ? I still got taxes for them. 

Edited by AcidLava (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, AcidLava said:

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't work with the GitHub version even with the right name. I couldn't download the first post .zip yesterday but here it works.

I'd like to know if, as a french shop, there is a way to make it works for french users as they are EU and selected in "Enabled EU countries" ? I still got taxes for them. 

Yeah that is possible! In the module you select Origin Country: France. This means, French people will always pay tax. 

6 minutes ago, AcidLava said:

Shouldn't they don't pay taxes as the others ? Thanks.

Nope. Inside your own country you are now allowed to have a intra-Community supply. Inside your own country you have a add the tax to the invoice.
(No idea why, but this is the European law)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and thank you for this module.

I have been using and it works well, but recently I have issues when I try to modify stocks in my backoffice. I have this message:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND id_country = 74 AND vat_number = ''' at line 3

SELECT * FROM ps_vatchecker WHERE id_address = AND id_country = 74 AND vat_number = ''

I have to dissable the module to modify stocks or prices and then enable the module again.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem.

2 hours ago, yurda said:

Hello and thank you for this module.

I have been using and it works well, but recently I have issues when I try to modify stocks in my backoffice. I have this message:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND id_country = 74 AND vat_number = ''' at line 3

SELECT * FROM ps_vatchecker WHERE id_address = AND id_country = 74 AND vat_number = ''

I have to dissable the module to modify stocks or prices and then enable the module again.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem.

Hmm.. odd, could you let me know (maybe in debug mode) what file this error is from?

If you are worried about personal data, send a PM.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your module and we use and works perfect for new customer whern are registered with VAT.

But since 1.6 version we have some customers with valid VAT using old native module for that. And when old customers order now in our new version (1.7.8.6) orders show tax again. There are any solution for old customers and remove again taxes? How can do it your module for apply this changes to our old customers?

Regards

3 hours ago, walala said:

Thanks for your module and we use and works perfect for new customer whern are registered with VAT.

But since 1.6 version we have some customers with valid VAT using old native module for that. And when old customers order now in our new version (1.7.8.6) orders show tax again. There are any solution for old customers and remove again taxes? How can do it your module for apply this changes to our old customers?

Regards

This can be done in the database. But this will be a manual job and probably allot of work. You would have to fill in "ps_vatchecker".
Other option would be to temporarily check if the default address is VAT valid upon login of a customer. But this is also custom job.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, b3dpit said:

I have same problem. When I try to upload the module always (Oops... Upload failed.) appears. Where I can find latest version

This is the latest version (still).
Please enable Prestashop's Debug mode, and share your error.

3 hours ago, gtnic said:

I have the same problem / oops... what version of php do i need ? and is the module the git zip file ? thanks

The module is in the first post of this forum topic. I just tested it's working on the latest PS version to. So everything above Prestashop 1.6 should work just fine!
Please enable debug mode and share your error. Because i can't really help with more info.

12 hours ago, gtnic said:

It doesn't work . i already have the VAT . VIES is working , VAT num is ok .. but still having VAT on the invocie

And the order is not from your set origin country? And your overrides are enabled?
(you could send backoffice credentials in a private message, i could check)

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Guillermo80 said:

I install the module and when i tried we have the issue that you can find below.

any idea how resolve?

PRESTASHOP V. 1.7.8.9

PHP V. 7.4.3

image.png

It looks like your debug mode was enabled while the official VIES database was offline.
Please disable debug mode and try again. (and maybe check if your Prestashop hosting has permission to make a external connection to the VIES database)

1 hour ago, Inform-All said:

It looks like your debug mode was enabled while the official VIES database was offline.
Please disable debug mode and try again. (and maybe check if your Prestashop hosting has permission to make a external connection to the VIES database)

thank,s you are rigth i had the debug mode on

Thank you so much for share us this module.

Edited by Guillermo80 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for your hard work and effort in creating this module. I need some help, please.
Unfortunately, I cannot get the module to work. A message is always displayed that the server is unavailable -  "EU VIES server not responding."

I tried replacing the address with a test one in the vatchecker.php file:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/checkVatTestService.wsdl
With a test server, all test requests pass (for example, EE100, IT200, IT400), but all VAT numbers are accepted as valid, although IT200 and IT400 should not be accepted as valid numbers. When i try to set a real VAT number while working with a test server, it is displayed as unavailable with the same message (as it should be).

But with the real server https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/checkVatService.wsdl it never worked - it’s always “EU VIES server not responding”.

Maybe you have any idea what the reason is? What else should I check or configure to make it work?
Version PrestaShop is  8.1.1

2 hours ago, AnnikaSMD said:

Hello,

Thank you for your hard work and effort in creating this module. I need some help, please.
Unfortunately, I cannot get the module to work. A message is always displayed that the server is unavailable -  "EU VIES server not responding."

I tried replacing the address with a test one in the vatchecker.php file:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/checkVatTestService.wsdl
With a test server, all test requests pass (for example, EE100, IT200, IT400), but all VAT numbers are accepted as valid, although IT200 and IT400 should not be accepted as valid numbers. When i try to set a real VAT number while working with a test server, it is displayed as unavailable with the same message (as it should be).

But with the real server https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/checkVatService.wsdl it never worked - it’s always “EU VIES server not responding”.

Maybe you have any idea what the reason is? What else should I check or configure to make it work?
Version PrestaShop is  8.1.1

Please check if your server allows external api calls. And test if your server ip has not been blocked by the VIES database (after to many attemps in 1 minute)

On 9/15/2023 at 10:00 PM, Inform-All said:

Please check if your server allows external api calls. And test if your server ip has not been blocked by the VIES database (after to many attemps in 1 minute)

Thank you for support.

Finally i have managed to find out the cause of the problem - the SOAP library was not installed in PHP. After installing the library, everything is ok.

Hi there,

I downloaded your module zip file from github and I would be happy to test out your module but on my PS 1.7.8.8 it always shows "Oops... Upload failed" pop-up.

The popup appears both on my test env where I have debug mode enabled and live env where no debug is enabled.

this is the detailed popup output:

image.thumb.png.fe174da77f523576c6d13c5e8dab0853.png

I also tried by renaming vatchecker-master.zip to vatchecker.zip but same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by peppezic (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Inform-All said:

Hi,

You should not only rename the zip. First unzip the file from Github, then rename the folder vatchecker and then zip that.

Or simply download the file from the first post.

I want to congratulate with you.
The module works just great and does what the EU laws require to do (in particular I was impressed about the correct inclusion or exclusion of VAT when you switch between different shipping addresses). I tried several paid modules with no luck.

I have one three questions:
1) The store is correctly showing TAX excluded amounts for products and shipping but the labels on product or checkout pages keep saying TAX included
2) Does the module work with PS 8 ?
3) Does the module use the old Vies WSDL or the new JSON?

58 minutes ago, peppezic said:

I want to congratulate with you.
The module works just great and does what the EU laws require to do (in particular I was impressed about the correct inclusion or exclusion of VAT when you switch between different shipping addresses). I tried several paid modules with no luck.

I have one three questions:
1) The store is correctly showing TAX excluded amounts for products and shipping but the labels on product or checkout pages keep saying TAX included
2) Does the module work with PS 8 ?
3) Does the module use the old Vies WSDL or the new JSON?

Thanks, good to hear it’s working.

1: it should say correctly, ill get back to you on that.

2: yes.

3: WSDL

4 hours ago, Inform-All said:

Thanks, good to hear it’s working.

1: it should say correctly, ill get back to you on that.

2: yes.

3: WSDL

I thank you for your interest.
Could the tax included wrong label depend on the default group applied on these VAT free customers? The TAX excluded group (in screenshot "IVA esclusa") have just "Customer" as default group:

image.thumb.png.51817b5298e2bb0ada72ac0a27f866fa.png

Finally I need to ask what's the tax rule group or tax id applied on these VAT free orders.

Thanks again.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:56 PM, peppezic said:

I thank you for your interest.
Could the tax included wrong label depend on the default group applied on these VAT free customers? The TAX excluded group (in screenshot "IVA esclusa") have just "Customer" as default group:

image.thumb.png.51817b5298e2bb0ada72ac0a27f866fa.png

Finally I need to ask what's the tax rule group or tax id applied on these VAT free orders.

Thanks again.

Hi,

After a shipping address is confirmed as a tax free shipping address the customer will be put into the selected group.
The group does not grant 0 tax. So manually setting the customer group does not set 0 tax.

The group selection could be used purely as a check for admin's to see what customers are using 0 tax.

Extra explanation:
If a customer has been marked as 0 tax, it does not mean every order in the future is also allowed to be 0 tax for this customer. Because a intra-community supply is only allowed when the delivery address is outside the origin country. Since people can change the delivery address to a address that is not allowed to have 0 tax, this is not allowed.

On 10/2/2023 at 10:56 AM, Inform-All said:

Hi,

After a shipping address is confirmed as a tax free shipping address the customer will be put into the selected group.
The group does not grant 0 tax. So manually setting the customer group does not set 0 tax.

The group selection could be used purely as a check for admin's to see what customers are using 0 tax.

Extra explanation:
If a customer has been marked as 0 tax, it does not mean every order in the future is also allowed to be 0 tax for this customer. Because a intra-community supply is only allowed when the delivery address is outside the origin country. Since people can change the delivery address to a address that is not allowed to have 0 tax, this is not allowed.

Thanks again for your prompt and precise answer (which it makes sense to me).

What can you tell me about the second question I made:

"Finally I need to ask what's the tax rule group or tax id applied on these VAT free orders."

Hello,

The module worked without problems from the beginning.

Today, when trying to enter the order > carts module, the module causes such a problem.

The problem also occurs when trying to enter orders that had a VAT number provided

Version 2.0.4., I tried restoring version 2.0.3 and it didn't help.

Please check.

vat error.JPG

Edited by gs2k (see edit history)

On 10/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, gs2k said:

Hello,

The module worked without problems from the beginning.

Today, when trying to enter the order > carts module, the module causes such a problem.

The problem also occurs when trying to enter orders that had a VAT number provided

Version 2.0.4., I tried restoring version 2.0.3 and it didn't help.

Please check.

vat error.JPG

Hi,

please check if your PHP settings have changed. In particular check if SOAP is still activated.

1 minute ago, Inform-All said:

Hi,

please check if your PHP settings have changed. In particular check if SOAP is still activated.

Hi,

I guess there were some changes on the server.

After a few hours, the problem disappeared on its own.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First of all - thank you for creating this module - it's a real time saver. It's a shame that Prestashop developers do not include such simple yet necessary mechanics in the default store. 

I've successfully installed and configured the module, and it seems to work as intended, but I've ran into an issue:
If I'm making an order as a guest, the module works just fine - VAT is validated upon entering, zero tax is applied and everything's great. But, If I'm making an order while signed in as a customer who's eligible for 0% (using same details), nothing happens, and prices are calculated with VAT. And this creates a problem for returning customers, which are my main buyers. Is there something that I'm missing, or is it supposed to be this way? 

Can you give your insights on this? If it's not possible to resolve this with your module as it is, can you suggest any workarounds or alternative solutions to this problem?
Thank you!

3 hours ago, Hacpurena said:

Hello,

First of all - thank you for creating this module - it's a real time saver. It's a shame that Prestashop developers do not include such simple yet necessary mechanics in the default store. 

I've successfully installed and configured the module, and it seems to work as intended, but I've ran into an issue:
If I'm making an order as a guest, the module works just fine - VAT is validated upon entering, zero tax is applied and everything's great. But, If I'm making an order while signed in as a customer who's eligible for 0% (using same details), nothing happens, and prices are calculated with VAT. And this creates a problem for returning customers, which are my main buyers. Is there something that I'm missing, or is it supposed to be this way? 

Can you give your insights on this? If it's not possible to resolve this with your module as it is, can you suggest any workarounds or alternative solutions to this problem?
Thank you!

Good to hear you like the module!

The module itself does nothing for the price display in the frontend.
But in the latest version of the module you can set a group that (after validating VAT) the customer will be put into.  You can make your own logics (in your case display 0 tax) for this group you selected.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I noticed a problem when checking VAT numbers of German companies.

When a customer enters his VAT number with the DE prefix, it doesn't work (always).
If you only enter the number, it works, but not always (one German VAT number works, the other doesn't, after a while both work - I haven't been able to check what it depends on).

I checked VAT numbers for other countries, France, Czech Republic, Croatia and they always work (with and without country code).

(Poland is my country)

Can you check for yourself?

5 hours ago, gs2k said:

Hello,

I noticed a problem when checking VAT numbers of German companies.

When a customer enters his VAT number with the DE prefix, it doesn't work (always).
If you only enter the number, it works, but not always (one German VAT number works, the other doesn't, after a while both work - I haven't been able to check what it depends on).

I checked VAT numbers for other countries, France, Czech Republic, Croatia and they always work (with and without country code).

(Poland is my country)

Can you check for yourself?

Hi,

We've had quite some trouble with downtime of the official VIES database. We are currently testing some performance upgrades (find the on Git) i will upload here soon.

38 minutes ago, Inform-All said:

Hi,

We've had quite some trouble with downtime of the official VIES database. We are currently testing some performance upgrades (find the on Git) i will upload here soon.

Are the updates about JSON using vs WSDL?
How do we perform an update?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Inform-All said:

Hi,

Hello,

Thank you. Testing version 2.1.0

1. I have option number 3 set "Use previous validation value, if not previously validated mark VAT as invalid"

Enter the VAT number. I receive the information "The EU VAT VIES server is not responding" and the price is changed to the price without VAT. It seems that no matter what option I choose in the settings, the price always changes to the price without VAT.

2. I also noticed that the error information is displayed twice (I use a one-page checkout).

VAT.JPG

I also wonder why the module shows information that the VAT database is unavailable.

At the same time, I checked the VAT number on the VAT Vies website and in another program (for order processing) and the database works there.

Sorry for so many messages, but I noticed one thing.

I check the French and Croatian VAT number in the store. There is no error that the Vies VAT database is inactive.

When I check the German VAT number, I get an error that the Vies VAT database is inactive.

At the same time, he checks the VAT number on the VAT Vies website

When I enter a French or Croatian VAT number, the result appears within a second.

When I enter the German VAT number, the website checks it for 8-11 seconds and finally shows that it is valid.

I checked all combinations several times. The effect is always the same.

Isn't it the case that the module checks the German VAT number and if it does not receive information within e.g. 1 second, it assumes that the VAT Vies website is not working?

However, for other countries the response in the API and on the VAT Vies website is quick and therefore everything works properly?

Regards
Gregory

On 1/5/2024 at 3:34 PM, peppezic said:

Are the updates about JSON using vs WSDL?
How do we perform an update?

Thanks.

Hi,
When i started building this module, the VIES database only accepted WSDL. This module is created for a specific customer, and it's working fine as is (for them). So if you would like send me a private message so can make a quotation for this update.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:51 PM, gs2k said:

Sorry for so many messages, but I noticed one thing.

I check the French and Croatian VAT number in the store. There is no error that the Vies VAT database is inactive.

When I check the German VAT number, I get an error that the Vies VAT database is inactive.

At the same time, he checks the VAT number on the VAT Vies website

When I enter a French or Croatian VAT number, the result appears within a second.

When I enter the German VAT number, the website checks it for 8-11 seconds and finally shows that it is valid.

I checked all combinations several times. The effect is always the same.

Isn't it the case that the module checks the German VAT number and if it does not receive information within e.g. 1 second, it assumes that the VAT Vies website is not working?

However, for other countries the response in the API and on the VAT Vies website is quick and therefore everything works properly?

Regards
Gregory

The module does not make any different call for each country, all the calls to the VIES database are the same. The module checks VAT number for country X.
Do keep in mind, that the VIES database has a limit of how many calls you can make to their system, you could get banned to make new calls for a couple of minutes.

25 minutes ago, Inform-All said:

The module does not make any different call for each country, all the calls to the VIES database are the same. The module checks VAT number for country X.
Do keep in mind, that the VIES database has a limit of how many calls you can make to their system, you could get banned to make new calls for a couple of minutes.

Hello,

I see.

1. It may be that the VIES database itself retrieves information from another place and that is why it works faster for one country and slower for another. This may explain why in my case the problem only occurs with German VAT.

2. Maybe it is worth adding a setting when the Vies VAT database does not work for each country separately?

I know from experience that French and German VAT codes are active by default in VAT Vies. Italian and Spanish codes are about 50% active.

It would then be possible to set the country France and Germany etc. to remove VAT when the Vies VAT database is not working (the probability of incorrect VAT removal is small), and for the country Italy and Spain do not remove the tax when the database is inactive (here the probability of incorrect tax removal is is big).

3. When a customer enters VAT without a country prefix, does the module add this prefix after placing the order?

Regards

28 minutes ago, gs2k said:

Hello,

I see.

1. It may be that the VIES database itself retrieves information from another place and that is why it works faster for one country and slower for another. This may explain why in my case the problem only occurs with German VAT.

2. Maybe it is worth adding a setting when the Vies VAT database does not work for each country separately?

I know from experience that French and German VAT codes are active by default in VAT Vies. Italian and Spanish codes are about 50% active.

It would then be possible to set the country France and Germany etc. to remove VAT when the Vies VAT database is not working (the probability of incorrect VAT removal is small), and for the country Italy and Spain do not remove the tax when the database is inactive (here the probability of incorrect tax removal is is big).

3. When a customer enters VAT without a country prefix, does the module add this prefix after placing the order?

Regards

1. I doubt this, you should ask the VIES database

2. We have settings what to do when the database if offline, just not for each country separate.

3. We add country prefix (if it's missing) automatically

14 minutes ago, Inform-All said:

2. We have settings what to do when the database if offline, just not for each country separate.

I use this option. It was my suggestion that if possible, this setting could be added for each country separately.

Regards
Grzegorz

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I noticed a strange problem when checking VAT numbers.

I came across a Spanish VAT number, after entering which (Offline Validation is enabled) the VAT is not removed.

At the same time, I test the Spanish VAT number of another client and everything works fine.

Any idea?

Regards
gs2k

44 minutes ago, gs2k said:

Hello,

I noticed a strange problem when checking VAT numbers.

I came across a Spanish VAT number, after entering which (Offline Validation is enabled) the VAT is not removed.

At the same time, I test the Spanish VAT number of another client and everything works fine.

Any idea?

Regards
gs2k

hmm that's odd. Can you verify that the entered VAT number is actually valid? (maybe send it to me in a private message)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GrinGEO said:

Hi dear

Is there any way to display validatd VATs in the bakcend or not? How to see wich VATs are validated and wich one are refused? Thanks for helping

In the latest version of the VATChecker module, you can (optionally) set customers in a customer group when the VAT is validated.
But currently there is no list of not (un)validated VAT numbers. If you would like this feature send me a private message so i can make a quotation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you once again for the module - it's been of great help, and so far it has been working without any problems whatsoever.
I have a question/request/recommendation how it can be improved even further.

After talking with an accountant, I was told that it is necessary to specify tax and it's percentage in the invoice. If I understand correctly, what module does is removes tax rate completely, and applies prices with tax. excl. I am attaching an example of such invoice. Also, I am attaching an example of invoice where VAT is applied. As you can see, that invoice has a specified tax rate, and an additional field with Total tax in the summary. 

So, what accounting needs is tax rate specified, as well as total tax field in the invoice, even when 0% VAT is applied.
So, my questions are:

- is it something that VAT Checker module is responsible for, or is it something that can be configured in an invoice template, and has nothing to do with your module?
- If module is responsible for this function, does it have some kind of setting that I have missed, which can solve this issue?
- If the module doesn't have such functionality, would you be willing to upgrade it? I was thinking that it can be solved by creating an option to select which tax rate is applied in case valid VAT number is applied.

I will be patiently waiting for your insights on this
Thank you!

withoutVAT.png

withVAT.png

18 minutes ago, Hacpurena said:

Hello,

Thank you once again for the module - it's been of great help, and so far it has been working without any problems whatsoever.
I have a question/request/recommendation how it can be improved even further.

After talking with an accountant, I was told that it is necessary to specify tax and it's percentage in the invoice. If I understand correctly, what module does is removes tax rate completely, and applies prices with tax. excl. I am attaching an example of such invoice. Also, I am attaching an example of invoice where VAT is applied. As you can see, that invoice has a specified tax rate, and an additional field with Total tax in the summary. 

So, what accounting needs is tax rate specified, as well as total tax field in the invoice, even when 0% VAT is applied.
So, my questions are:

- is it something that VAT Checker module is responsible for, or is it something that can be configured in an invoice template, and has nothing to do with your module?
- If module is responsible for this function, does it have some kind of setting that I have missed, which can solve this issue?
- If the module doesn't have such functionality, would you be willing to upgrade it? I was thinking that it can be solved by creating an option to select which tax rate is applied in case valid VAT number is applied.

I will be patiently waiting for your insights on this
Thank you!

withoutVAT.png

withVAT.png

The VATChecker module is indeed responsible for the vat on the invoice.
Currently the module does indeed completely remove and VAT rate instead of setting it to a 0% tax rule.

I could build in a feature to set it to a 0% tax rate, but this module is build on commission, so if you would like to add that feature send me a private message so i can make a quotation.

Hi,

i've do a test using italy as country and inserting a NON VIES but good VAT code and seems the VIES is checked.

VAT code in the same country must not be checked by default.

Please check the screenshot.

Many Thanks

Screenshot 2024-04-16 192533.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 190315.png

15 hours ago, prestapp said:

Hi,

i've do a test using italy as country and inserting a NON VIES but good VAT code and seems the VIES is checked.

VAT code in the same country must not be checked by default.

Please check the screenshot.

Many Thanks

Screenshot 2024-04-16 192533.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 190315.png

Hi,

You should enable Italy in the checkbox again. You have set your country of origin to Italy, this means Italian orders will not have 0% tax.

21 minuti fa, Inform-All dice:

Hi,

You should enable Italy in the checkbox again. You have set your country of origin to Italy, this means Italian orders will not have 0% tax.

Ok, but how I can disable the VIES check for Italian VAT number?

26 minuti fa, Inform-All dice:

ahh in that case you should indeed disable Italy in that list. And refresh cache afterwards.

The VIES check is carried out even with "Italy" deactivated, in this case appear the check error but is possible to complete the registration