[SOLVED] [VIDEO] How to set up Gmail SMTP in Prestashop?

Ali Samie

How to test email functions with a Gmail account in Prestashop?

Hi community.

I have seen some questions about the email issues. I want to show you how to set up a Gmail account in Prestashop as your temporary SMTP server, which lets you easily test your email functionality, templates and related stuff.

This is what I went through in a local server and I manged to get it working.

1. Set up a new Gmail account (if you do not have any).
  2. Sign in to your account.
  3. Open BO of your Prestashop.
  4. Go under this menu "Advanced Parameters > E-mail".
  5. Find the "Email" form.
  6. Fill the form like this:
    1. Send emails to > Select "Customer Service"
    2. Radio Buttons > Select "Set my own SMTP parameters (for advanced users ONLY)"
    3. Email domain name > Let it be blank
    4. SMTP server > "smtp.gmail.com"
    5. SMTP username > Fill it with your gmail for example : [email protected]
    6. SMTP password  > Fill it with the account password (if does not work create an APP password and use that)
    7. Encryption > Select "TLS"
    8. Port > "578"
    9. Radio Buttons > Select "Both"
    10. Log emails > Select "Yes"

After you have saved these, send a test email in the next form with title of "Test your email configuration".

I have added a video for you to follow the steps. It very easy.

I use this method just for testing, like when you want to test the email templates and you do not want to put time on setting up an SMTP server locally. I do not recommend using this in a production shop.

Edited by stifler97
Edit title (see edit history)

Just now, juanrojas said:

recently you have been told that it does not work

It works for me. So may be they missed some thing in the set up or there are server issues!

And I have mentioned that this works in my local server. So there it could be useful if a developer is working on email templates.

9 minutes ago, stifler97 said:

This is what I went through in a local server and I manged to get it working.

• Ali Samie changed the title to [SOLVED] [VIDEO] How to set up Gmail SMTP in Prestashop?
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gouna said:

Hi, don't work with a 1.7.8.7 

Hi. Thanks for the report.

Instead of these

On 7/22/2022 at 6:46 AM, stifler97 said:
  • SMTP username > Fill it with your gmail for example : [email protected]
  • SMTP password  > Fill it with the account password (if does not work create an APP password and use that)
  • Encryption > Select "TLS"
  • Port > "578"

I did these:

1. SMTP username > Fill it with your google account for example if your gmail address is [email protected] you must enter myaccount
  2. SMTP password > Create an APP password in your google account panel and paste it here
  3. Encryption > Select "SSL"
  4. Port > "465"

Test video:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello

I tried all the above methods in my client website indianbasket.pl but I am getting below error. I created app password and tested. My client wants to send email conformation from Gmail only. 

Error: Please check your configuration

Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username "[email protected]" using 3 possible authenticators. Authenticator LOGIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code "535", with message "535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials kr12-20020a1709079a0c00b0084d44553af9sm14245369ejc.215 - gsmtp ". Authenticator PLAIN returned Expected response code 235 but got code "535", with message "535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials kr12-20020a1709079a0c00b0084d44553af9sm14245369ejc.215 - gsmtp ". Authenticator XOAUTH2 returned Expected response code 250 but got code "535", with message "535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials kr12-20020a1709079a0c00b0084d44553af9sm14245369ejc.215 - gsmtp ".

Email Config.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am experiencing the same problems, all my customers with Gmail accounts are not receiving their email.

I tried the different configurations, with the password generated by gmail, no results.

should you use your personal password? is it safe?

thanks

beza

Google has changed their configuration

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/109381919/i-am-not-receiving-emails-from-certain-domains?hl=en

The way to accept domains non regisistered is not proven, you can off course let Google do your mail via Google Business Suite. But Google is not recommended, you will become and depend to or on their services 

Edited by Nickz (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 8:26 AM, FlamingoFr said:

With my Google workspace account,

I set smpt server to smtp-relay.gmail.com

SSL/465

General password didn't work. I set an App password and it works fine!

Hi, I tested today and again it works
TLS or SSL does not matter
The only thing is that you need to use APP password
And you need to use the right smtp server, I used smtp.gmail.com

• 3 months later...

Ali Samien's post is very well explained, I experienced the same problem for the website with an email hosted at gmail, one more thing needs to be added, you need to make sure that the server has the Remote SMTP function activated in order to work. In this case, you must contact the hosting.

Connection could not be established with host smtp.gmail.com :stream_socket_client(): Unable to connect to tcp://smtp.gmail.com:587 (Cannot assign requested address)