Yotpo module turning my presta super super super slow

Hi guys,

I have spent the last 48h in a nightmare. We upgraded our  store to latest presta and php version and went ahead with the warehouse theme from iqitelementor. We turned the changes to live yesterday night and we noticed the extremely slow loading speed when moving along cats and products. After a lot of trial, tests and errors we have discovered that the yotpo reviews module we had installed and still have in this new upgraded store is creating this slowliness. We disabled the mod and suddenly the navigation is great. Problem now is that we are missing all product reviews on the site. The module we use is

Mi Yotpo v1.4.1 - de Jorge Vargas

Since I am not a great tech guy, is anybody out there willing to share a similar experience and how it was solved? I have no idea what to do. We have had the store with no sales for 48h and if it still the same we will keep loosing money.

Thanks for sharing. I wrote yotpo a ticket but their staff seem very unefficient from other tickets I wrote in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply ndiaga,

I am already in contact with the developer of the mod and hopefully he'll finish the compatible version with 1.7.8. I hope it helps to speed up the api consultations to yotpo database, it's where it gets stucked  mainly.

in the past we removed at cat level reviews, this solved performance issue.  It depends on how category is displayed, when paging we noticed that 2nd and nth pages of products in category also required yotpo calls thus slowing everything down even more. 

Notice that yotpo mentions product level reviews and we don't see anything on category, where many calls can be made and which may very well be throttled by the service.  

in yotop admin, it's possible to configure for better performance.  see video below.  

the easy solution would be display at product level for now then create a dev of prod shop to have developer sort category issue.

18 minutes ago, JohnPalomo said:

Thanks for the tip but that part of my dashboard displays an error 500 and have thus no option to select.

loool...my advice?  find alternative to this.  sounds like the module is poor and the overall yotop service is less than stellar.

where is your shop located?  In US we use reviews, but like pirates, think like a pirate....

knowing where you customer base is allows us to make recommendation, just because you picked this does not mean it was good idea loool

I have used yotpo for years, mainly because other similar alternatives where I am are easily twice price. I am located in Spain and I only sell here, not internationally. Other alternatives like ekomi, opiniones verificadas or trustpilot are much more expensive. I recently upgraded my store with warehouse and it has a reviews system, but I dont think it has the same valuable perspective from a customer's point of view, since I guess you can create reviews manually and I am not sure if they can be used for google results as yotpo does.

4 minutes ago, JohnPalomo said:

I have used yotpo for years, mainly because other similar alternatives where I am are easily twice price. I am located in Spain and I only sell here, not internationally. Other alternatives like ekomi, opiniones verificadas or trustpilot are much more expensive. I recently upgraded my store with warehouse and it has a reviews system, but I dont think it has the same valuable perspective from a customer's point of view, since I guess you can create reviews manually and I am not sure if they can be used for google results as yotpo does.

Pirate tip, update built in Review system and add 'verified purchase' or similar. Where customer actually purchased product.  All review systems need tuning, I.e. don't display stars when no reviews but rather be first to review.  

You need to add snippets for seo.  I've created very nice review displays for clients also we have in-house module that collects reviews when they  utomer returns to shop so you don't just get reviews from wrong motivation, much like Uber eats but actually from rappi app.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, JohnPalomo said:

I have been struggling with this exact same issue on our PS 1.7.8.3 site for the past few months. It is so bad and slow we turned off the module completely. We also contacted the developer and he replied back after several weeks, saying to basically install a page cache module on our site to "possible" speed things up - great !!!!!.

I hope you get further with the developer and a possible fix for the module. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Hello Diysec,

We did installed the mod Super Speed from ETS to speed up the loading speed, and it was giving a lot of bugs with yotpo, our image module and some css styles of our warehouse theme. We finally manage to partially solve the problem by putting several tickets to ETS, but the store was nearly unoperative for 3 weeks. The yotpo module I have installed is myyotpo developed byt Jorge Vargas. I am in contact with him since he's now developing a new version of it and he told me he would pass it to me to test if the new versions runs better. For some reason it seems yotpo people is not interested to keep an updated mod for prestashop, too many requirements to accomplish I guess. Jorge Vargas is trying to make his mod development the official one for prestashop users who want to use yotpo. I also contacted staff from yotpo and they passed me a script to speed up the api calls, we have installed it but it's not really making a big difference.

I hope you find a solution to your problems. If you have reviews it is a shame to uninstall the mod and leave all your best seller products without reviews. Yotpo staff is simply replying standard responses but the feeling I have is that they are not really interested to give real solutions to the prestashop community.

Francisco

2 minutes ago, JohnPalomo said:

Hello Diysec,

We did installed the mod Super Speed from ETS to speed up the loading speed, and it was giving a lot of bugs with yotpo, our image module and some css styles of our warehouse theme. We finally manage to partially solve the problem by putting several tickets to ETS, but the store was nearly unoperative for 3 weeks. The yotpo module I have installed is myyotpo developed byt Jorge Vargas. I am in contact with him since he's now developing a new version of it and he told me he would pass it to me to test if the new versions runs better. For some reason it seems yotpo people is not interested to keep an updated mod for prestashop, too many requirements to accomplish I guess. Jorge Vargas is trying to make his mod development the official one for prestashop users who want to use yotpo. I also contacted staff from yotpo and they passed me a script to speed up the api calls, we have installed it but it's not really making a big difference.

I hope you find a solution to your problems. If you have reviews it is a shame to uninstall the mod and leave all your best seller products without reviews. Yotpo staff is simply replying standard responses but the feeling I have is that they are not really interested to give real solutions to the prestashop community.

Francisco

Thanks for your update. We have the same yotpo module as you (v1.4.1 by Jorge Vargas), so would be happy to test the new version as well. We still have the module in our Addons account under "support" so when its officially released we should be able to grab the update. Did Jorge give any indication on when the module will be released?

Not really, I have invited him to join to a whatsapp group where my developer can shed some light on some charge timing analisis he did but he has not accepted to enter the group yet. I hope he accepts and we can move on. If you decide to add a caché mod like speed test, make sure to test first in a test store because it might happen as it did with us. Part of the problem was also related to the php version we're using to run the new 1.7.8 store. If you load your store with mozzilla you will be able to see message on left-foot corner of the page like: waiting static.yotpo.com or waiting w2.yotpo.com, it is clear that the api from the yotpo module makes everything super slow.

10 hours ago, El Patron said:

is it possible to 'not' show reviews on category page?  we have in past removed yotpo from category which really speeded up the product list.  but most experience this issue on category,  same for you all?

Hi El

Thanks for the reply. How do I do this? as there is no option in the module settings and we are not programmers.

The speed of our site is OK, if we just show the reviews widget, but enabling another other option, product star ratings etc the site is just so slow....

22 minutes ago, diysec said:

Hi El

Thanks for the reply. How do I do this? as there is no option in the module settings and we are not programmers.

The speed of our site is OK, if we just show the reviews widget, but enabling another other option, product star ratings etc the site is just so slow....

You could look at the hooks for the module and unhook it from back office.  Design then positions.

Jorge Vargas replied my whatsapp but he asked me to open the request through prestashop addons, and my support is over. I have to pay again just to post the request. Too much bureaucracy....I got an ajax script the staff from yotpo passed me to make the api consultations go faster. I tried to paste the script in one of the posts above, but the prestashop forum was not letting me submit the message. I then removed the script and was able to submit on the the above messages. If you're interested to get it just write yotpo support or let me know an alternative way to pass it to you.

Francisco

19 minutes ago, JohnPalomo said:

Jorge Vargas replied my whatsapp but he asked me to open the request through prestashop addons, and my support is over. I have to pay again just to post the request. Too much bureaucracy....I got an ajax script the staff from yotpo passed me to make the api consultations go faster. I tried to paste the script in one of the posts above, but the prestashop forum was not letting me submit the message. I then removed the script and was able to submit on the the above messages. If you're interested to get it just write yotpo support or let me know an alternative way to pass it to you.

Francisco

Hi Francisco,

That's some good news at least around the Ajax script. I think we still have support for the module, so I might lodge a support ticket and push for a fix.

Yes I would definitely be interested in the script. Are you able to upload the script to Dropbox/Google Drive and past URL here?

Hi John,

Logged a ticket with Yotpo and basically I have to get a developer to install it, which I will do.

First, I would like to know if you have installed it and it actually fixes the speed issue on your site?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

I had a developer install the code for us as well and I have to agree it a little hit and miss for page load times.

I also logged a support ticket with the module developer but as yet have had no reply.

not all developers are the same level

over the years we solved dozens of yotopo issues

also modules are not built on ps architecture which supports registering module assets especially as it concerns async vs defer for render blocking .js.

Async vs Defer

With async , the file gets downloaded asynchronously and then executed as soon as it's downloaded. With defer , the file gets downloaded asynchronously, but executed only when the document parsing is completed. With defer , scripts will execute in the same order as they are called

Stick a defer in the .js,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diysec said:

Thanks - How do I engage your services? 

I 'highly' recommend PrestaChamps.  Professional agency with all the skillz in one place.  

https://www.prestachamps.com/services/googlePageOptimization.html

When you realize you have taken your shop as far as you can, an agency can take you to another level, the one you imagined starting out.

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I am not sure if it has some realtionship, but I just realised I have lost my start reviews on google shopping. I stopped the campaigns for a few weeks and now that they are active I see the products are displaying but they are not longer displaying with the review starts. I have not modified php or the yotpo mod in any way except adding the script that the people from yotpo passed me. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

• 4 months later...

Well, I am reopening this post just to share that after several mails with yotpo support I am forced to leave yotpo and find another reviews partner. My hosting made several tests with yotpo module installed and activated and with yotpo module uninstalled. The loading speed of the web when the yotpo module is uninstalled is amazing, the web loads fast and it's a pleasure to browse over categories and products. When yotpo module is activated the api calls to the amazon web service hosting that yotpo uses delays the loading speed of the web up to 5 seconds. Amazon host does not responds and it's continuosly creating timeouts. Yotpo said they are working on a new widget but they have been telling this for months and no solutions seems to come up to customers. Said that.....Now I am in the place to find another review company that is officially recognized for google ( to display the reviews on google results ) and which widget works properly not delaying the loading speed of the site. Can any of you give a recommendation of potential alternatives? Thanks,

Francisco

On 11/5/2022 at 5:28 AM, diysec said:

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for the update. I have been working with the Prestashop Yotpo developer and he made some little tweaks but its still slow...

I too, like you, looking for another review partner.

Have you triend to implement the reviews widget 3.0 ? I am trying to see if support gives me a helping hand to clean the script from the current mod, since it is important to delete before publishing the new one. They advertised it is much faster than the other. I would like to run away to another alternative but the cheapest one is more than double the price. However, the way my store runs now is ruinning my sales. I really need help and don't really know what door to knock.

2 minutes ago, diysec said:

Hi Francisco,

No I have not. I am not a developer and so I think I would need to hire a developer to take a look at this.

Where is the reference or code for widget 3.0?

Here you can see the instructions:

https://support.yotpo.com/en/article/adding-the-reviews-widget-30

and in your dashboard on foot of left column link you will see the link to configure design, font, etc....However, got really dissapointed with yotpo support regarding the prestashop community. I got the following reply from them:

I understand that you wanted to implement the new widget, true that it has a much better performance. However, upon checking, you are currently using a Prestashop platform. Please note that Prestashop is not yet listed as one of our supported platforms, and the new widget is still on a beta release for Shopify platform users. However, our estimated release for the Generic and other platforms will be in 2023.

Yotpo is really affordable and I would like to stick to it but the slowliness of the aws hosting with the api consults just kills my business daily. I dont really know it is worth paying a third party to implement this 3.0 widget without a warranty it will work fine with presta.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:37 AM, diysec said:

Hi Francisco,

No I have not. I am not a developer and so I think I would need to hire a developer to take a look at this.

Where is the reference or code for widget 3.0?

After several tickets with support and yotpo community forums, the widget 3.0 will not work on prestashop. It's a beta version for shopify stores. They say the 3.0 new widget is expected to be available by beginning 2023. To be honest, I don't believe they will do anything. I am already searching for another review company to migrate my reviews, only problem is that other options are yopto's price x2 or x3, not to mention trustedshops or trust pilot ( around $200 monthly ). At the end I think the future relies in harvesting reviews on your google business page.

6 hours ago, JohnPalomo said:

After several tickets with support and yotpo community forums, the widget 3.0 will not work on prestashop. It's a beta version for shopify stores. They say the 3.0 new widget is expected to be available by beginning 2023. To be honest, I don't believe they will do anything. I am already searching for another review company to migrate my reviews, only problem is that other options are yopto's price x2 or x3, not to mention trustedshops or trust pilot ( around $200 monthly ). At the end I think the future relies in harvesting reviews on your google business page.

Hi,

I agree with you. Is Prestashop the right platform moving forward as I am starting to question it.

I have had a look at reviews.io, which has an "early stage" plan, however I have notice that you have to be on the Professional plan. I have sent them a query to see if I can get the "early stage" plan along with Prestashop integration.

I'll let you know how I get on.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:11 AM, diysec said:

Hi,

I agree with you. Is Prestashop the right platform moving forward as I am starting to question it.

I have had a look at reviews.io, which has an "early stage" plan, however I have notice that you have to be on the Professional plan. I have sent them a query to see if I can get the "early stage" plan along with Prestashop integration.

I'll let you know how I get on.

The plan I have with them is $29. It has been that way for years. Not sure if that's a fee available if you want to contract their services as a new customer now.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:01 AM, JohnPalomo said:

The plan I have with them is $29. It has been that way for years. Not sure if that's a fee available if you want to contract their services as a new customer now.

I have the same plan, so its hard trying to find another reviews company with a cheap plan.