Prestashop Speed - remove default modules (most not useful) or other solution?

brainwashed

Hello,

first am neither a PS expert nor a programmer.... simply trying to learn my way out the hard way with trials and errors...

Been searching here and there (PS forums + web) trying to understand the best solution to speed up PS.

I thought that "uninstalling" default modules could be a good way to speed up PS.

2 following posts:
(2016) https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/504517-reduce-size-of-prestashop-how-to-remove-unused-modules-in-prestashop/
(2021) https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/1051657-site-speed/
if am not wrong, reading the 2 posts:

• if i uninstall default modules, once i update PS all default modules will be installed again
  • (disabled) modules do not have effect on PS page speed
  • interesting debate (Danny - El Patron) on what is best to increase page speed (php options + some tips VS better hosting)

so,

1. disable vs uninstall is the same? if i simply disable a module it won't effect the speed of the site?
  2. (uninstall default modules) will those modules be installed again (when i upgrade PS) or is there a way to prevent this?
  3. are there other solutions to speed up PS? if yes, which methods do you use?

thanks in advance..

did you check the site with profile mode? you can turn on profiling from config/defines.inc.php 

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', false);

to

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', true);

profiling will give you the details, how much memory is used, which module/hook is taking more time, and how many sql queries etc...

then check the hook/modules which are taking more memory and execution time, then optimize the module (some modules need adding caching).

thanks

• Thanks 1

disable vs uninstall is the same? - are different, uninstall will remove the module from physical directory. If you have unwanted modules that are enabled, you can disable them. Disabled module are not loaded/used by prestashop when the pages are loaded. Only enabled modules are considered.

(uninstall default modules) - during the upgrade, theres an option in upgrade page, whether upgrade default modules or not, you can switch to no and continue the upgrade process, then later you can upgrade the modules manually one by one.

• Thanks 1

Exactly, profiling can give you a detailed insight into what modules are loaded and spot the bottlenecks.

Sometimes, when you can't uninstall the module, you can limit it's scope in Design -> Positions. Some modules may only be required in some part of the store (for example payment modules are usually not needed on listings and product pages).

But please note that all this module related stuff usually speeds up only the server response time, if you analyze your shop with some performance tools there may be more issues, much depends on the theme here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, abdullacm said:

did you check the site with profile mode? you can turn on profiling from config/defines.inc.php 

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', false);

to

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', true);

profiling will give you the details, how much memory is used, which module/hook is taking more time, and how many sql queries etc...

then check the hook/modules which are taking more memory and execution time, then optimize the module (some modules need adding caching).

thanks

@abdullacm  as far as the "defines.inc.php" where will i see/read the results?    apologies for my question but am not an expert.....

23 hours ago, Daresh said:

Sometimes, when you can't uninstall the module, you can limit it's scope in Design -> Positions. Some modules may only be required in some part of the store (for example payment modules are usually not needed on listings and product pages).

But please note that all this module related stuff usually speeds up only the server response time, if you analyze your shop with some performance tools there may be more issues, much depends on the theme here.

@Daresh   
- Design => Position.... thanks..... 
- "server response time... analyze shop with some performance tools" ... which tools are the best? 

15 hours ago, brainwashed said:

@abdullacm  as far as the "defines.inc.php" where will i see/read the results?    apologies for my question but am not an expert.....

after enabling profiling, you can access any page (frontend or backend), you can see the detailed report at the bottom of the page.

• Thanks 1

tip:  it's expensive with very little roi tuning an application like PS beyond what you can do in the performance panel....

we recommend and have great client success by upgrading hosting and putting clients on vps/dedicated hosting with nvme hardware to the disk drives.

cpu's are waiting for data to process from drive, this has always been and will continue to be the bottleneck in computing....nvme can speed this  up 10x

another easy way to improve performance is by tuning your mysql configuration, which out of the box on most hosting key features are disabled, hosting does not want your website to run to fast else you won't upgrade.  This is simple work using phpmyadmin to determine where improvements can be made, they even present in red those items so it's not brain surgery.

never ever buy a ps cache module, they create unpredictable non reproduceable results, it's shame to see ps still hawking them as they have resulted in many businesses going out of  ps business....that includes cloudflare, these all built for wp, static data, you been warned 

it's very easy to improve performance with proper hosting, nvme used to be out of budget for most but there are now entry level nvme hosting pacakages out there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Le 22/04/2022 à 7:12 PM, abdullacm a dit :

disable vs uninstall is the same? - are different, uninstall will remove the module from physical directory. If you have unwanted modules that are enabled, you can disable them. Disabled module are not loaded/used by prestashop when the pages are loaded. Only enabled modules are considered.

I don't totally agree with this.

A disabled module will always consume a lot of resources since for PrestaShop it will be continuously considered as present and therefore executed only to realize that it should not execute anything.

Especially many modules are poorly developed and load JS or CSS files in the wrong places and for the wrong reasons.

If you don't use a module you have to uninstall it and not just disable it.

Moreover, when loading the list of modules, a deactivated module will always be analyzed, which is not the case for an uninstalled module, so better performance in the backoffice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mediacom87 said:

I don't totally agree with this.

A disabled module will always consume a lot of resources since for PrestaShop it will be continuously considered as present and therefore executed only to realize that it should not execute anything.

Especially many modules are poorly developed and load JS or CSS files in the wrong places and for the wrong reasons.

If you don't use a module you have to uninstall it and not just disable it.

Moreover, when loading the list of modules, a deactivated module will always be analyzed, which is not the case for an uninstalled module, so better performance in the backoffice.

I agree with you but with one additional caveat, we have seen module developers with overrides not check that module is disabled in the override code.  Care to guess the result?  :)

On 4/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, brainwashed said:

Hello,

first am neither a PS expert nor a programmer.... simply trying to learn my way out the hard way with trials and errors...

Been searching here and there (PS forums + web) trying to understand the best solution to speed up PS.

I thought that "uninstalling" default modules could be a good way to speed up PS.

2 following posts:
(2016) https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/504517-reduce-size-of-prestashop-how-to-remove-unused-modules-in-prestashop/
(2021) https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/1051657-site-speed/
if am not wrong, reading the 2 posts:

• if i uninstall default modules, once i update PS all default modules will be installed again
  • (disabled) modules do not have effect on PS page speed
  • interesting debate (Danny - El Patron) on what is best to increase page speed (php options + some tips VS better hosting)

so,

1. disable vs uninstall is the same? if i simply disable a module it won't effect the speed of the site?
  2. (uninstall default modules) will those modules be installed again (when i upgrade PS) or is there a way to prevent this?
  3. are there other solutions to speed up PS? if yes, which methods do you use?

thanks in advance..

the cheapest safest way is to upgrade hosting specifically to speed up mysql calls, that is nvme.  ovh now offers cheap, and I mean cheap vps with nvme with plesk even.  We only use dedicated from fasthosts https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/  and they do not have vps nvme opiton.

for the ps appl, you can tune all day and do little except in front end....then you need real experts like us loool, and it wont' be any help determine if with disabled vs uninstalled module helps, not really,

the biggest performance improvements without technical front end (child theme, defer/async .js you can solve on your own is

1) ps incorrect performance settings for ccc of .js .css (you have to check if same files across all or most pages to know if turning off is better option). 

2) check  phpmyadmin for key metrics of where to improve mysql config, most out of box mysql config are 'not' configured, run  loader.io then check stats and tune mysql config accordingly.

sadly addons does not force use of bundling modules so that they can register assets and their load characteristic, i.e. async/defer....those smart people left ps after creating asset managment, maybe new ps crew does not know it exists.

fyi our google performance service we guarantee 85%, on our service page...that's how good/confident we are loool...

happy performing

• 7 months later...