Cannot download language pack "en"

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping for a little advice. I'm trying to install Prestashop Version 1.7.8.4. The server meets it's requirements and the database information all connects and is fine. However when it comes to installing the language it comes back with '1: Cannot download language pack "en"'. Being a resourceful person I googled the error and found plenty of advice on what the error is.

1) Ini_set needs to be enabled = My server host won't enable it due to it being a shared server.

2) Delete some lines of code in relation to the language download = Last known useful support for this was in 2020 and the install code is no longer the same and even with editing the code can't get it to ignore it.

3) Download the language pack and place inside the install directory or translations folder = Still not sure what I'm doing with this, I have the translation file and I've put it in various folders, renamed it en.gzip praying it would work but alas, it won't.

4) Use One Click Installer = They're still running 1.5 prestashop and don't manage it so can't add latest version. Tried to install it hoping one click upgrade would work but can't even get past MySQL on that.

We're building a new website on a new web host and i honestly am going round in circles here. Been trying to get this running since Friday and I've been working with prestashop for 3 years now and yeah... please someone have some advice on what to do, save my SANITY! 

Many thanks in advance.