What is the best way to upgrade PrestaShop from V1.4 to V1.7?

I have a very old prestashop. I would like to upgrade it from v1.4 to the newest one or 1.7.x at least.

I would also change its overall style, add more modules. I've never done this and I am afraid it will take too much time. Is there a way to do it without my shop being not open for too long?

I do really care about saving all the data from my v1.4 version.

I am not super technical person, but I will try to do my best.

First make a backup ( or 2 or 3 backups)  of the installation and database.  Just to be sure

Easiest way is to use the module 1-click upgrade itself

We use within our server Installatron, and that server module updates and upgrades automaticly PS after maken a server-backup

I wonder why you did not do all the other upgrades from 1.4 > 1.6  and 1.7 
Your missed the the important safety/securitu adjustments within PS. 

Good luck

12 hours ago, zeroca said:

I have a very old prestashop. I would like to upgrade it from v1.4 to the newest one or 1.7.x at least.

I would also change its overall style, add more modules. I've never done this and I am afraid it will take too much time. Is there a way to do it without my shop being not open for too long?

I do really care about saving all the data from my v1.4 version.

I am not super technical person, but I will try to do my best.

If you change theme. Install clean, newest Prestashop version on i.e sub domain and migrate whole data from old -> new one.

Edited by ComGrafPL (see edit history)

7 hours ago, ComGrafPL said:

If you change theme. Install clean, newest Prestashop version on i.e sub domain and migrate whole data from old -> new one.

Hey, but won't it hurt seo and google position of the site?

And how do I migrate those things? Is there a manual and safe way of doing those things? I know there are some modules, but is there a free way of doing that?

4 minutes ago, zeroca said:

Hey, but won't it hurt seo and google position of the site?

And how do I migrate those things? Is there a manual and safe way of doing those things? I know there are some modules, but is there a free way of doing that?

I have sent reply to your private message.