Prestashop 1 click upgrade doesn't do anything

What am I doing wrong with this?  I own my server so it's in my house.  I run Prestashop on a Ubuntu VM within Vmware ESXi 6.7  I always snapshot before I do any major changes, so I'm backed up.  This is the screen I see and the circled part is where the upgrade is:

image.thumb.png.12bc33d16098acc4d4cbd71344fe704c.png

The link appears to be ghosted but it's not, you can click on it.  When you click it, it goes to the prestashop add on's site and goes to this page:

image.thumb.png.c5848e43bf97a59a95f43d3accef00af.png

Is there something wrong with Prestashops upgrade option?  There is nothing to download on this page and it doesn't upgrade anything.  Why is this option here if it doesn't do anything.  This means I will most likely not waste time upgrading the website.  If I have to do it manually and move stuff all over the place myself, why wouldn't I just abandon this and go with Magento or something that works?  Am I doing something wrong here?  How do you upgrade to the latest version without having to do a bunch of stuff manually?  Are there any changes worth upgrading from 1.7.8.0 to 1.7.8.2? 

Is it not functioning properly and will be fixed?  Is this what you should expect with open source, stuff just generally doesn't work and there's never a solution to something as simple as upgrading to the latest version?  I've found countless references to this not working, but never a workaround short of installing from scratch and migrating the old database to the new one.  If I have to do that, I might as well go back to Magento.

Here's the module https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade

As for upgrading, if you want to work on 1.7.8.0, better upgrade to 1.7.8.2. Quite a lot of fixes.

Prestashop is quite good for stores and working fine. But if your store working good on old version, don't upgrade if you don't need it.

Use the newest version if you're i.e changing theme or new store from scratch.