Upgrade issue from 1.7.7.3 to 1.7.8.1

OK so the 1-click upgrade kept throwing an error at the point of unzipping, so I did a manual update (so much for using the super quick option).  When I ran the upgrade.php I got this error:

error on line 215 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document

then I got a 500 error on the back office so I cleared the cache and all seems OK....but how do I know if they really are OK?!  Version says it is 1.7.8.1....?

Well it is a new site, yet to go live (but with too much set up to want to start from scratch). The server has recently switched to PHP 7.4 so I thought it wise to upgrade to a version that supports 7.4 rather than start with a site that is already running on a version of PHP that apparently isn't supported by 1.7.7.3!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so does anyone have any idea how I can get this upgrade to run properly?  Someone suggested I downgrade to php 7.3 for the upgrade and then change back to 7.4 afterwards as 1.7.7.3 is not compatible with 7.4.

I need to get this to work, so suggestions are more helpful, than "don't bother upgrading".  I just don't understand why upgrading Prestashop always has to be so painful!    Totally different message from Wordpress where upgrading is generally a breeze!

@babyewok

It is good do use 7.3 while update as many issue my arries for compatibility of lower version of PrestaShop.  Secondly , made a back up, it is good practice to copy the site in a sub domain and then update their and apply what necessary adjustment need. Then move it to live site. In cpanel sub domain wise php settings is possible.

We all need to rise a hand to PrestaShop to made the update process more smooth , like other cms. They they don't distribute only those file is changes rather than full cms file. :)

Thank you

53 minutes ago, babyewok said:

OK, so does anyone have any idea how I can get this upgrade to run properly?  Someone suggested I downgrade to php 7.3 for the upgrade and then change back to 7.4 afterwards as 1.7.7.3 is not compatible with 7.4.

I need to get this to work, so suggestions are more helpful, than "don't bother upgrading".  I just don't understand why upgrading Prestashop always has to be so painful!    Totally different message from Wordpress where upgrading is generally a breeze!

Do you have any products already? Remove all the non presta modules, switch to classic theme. Try with that.

Best in my opinion is to install the newest version from scratch and import all products to new, clean version. Install modules you need. It safe option, so you daunt have any unexpected problems in the future.

1 hour ago, ComGrafPL said:

Do you have any products already? Remove all the non presta modules, switch to classic theme. Try with that.

Best in my opinion is to install the newest version from scratch and import all products to new, clean version. Install modules you need. It safe option, so you daunt have any unexpected problems in the future.

Just to know your feedback.  If user need to do this each new update of PrestaShop they will stop update the shop and keep in old version. For a running bussienss which has sale , product image it is pain full.

Do you have any alternate idea.

Thank you my friend. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SmartDataSoft said:

Just to know your feedback.  If user need to do this each new update of PrestaShop they will stop update the shop and keep in old version. For a running bussienss which has sale , product image it is pain full.

Do you have any alternate idea.

Thank you my friend. :)

I agree - Prestashop really need to sort out these issue with upgrading! It is not good enough to release new versions for security fixes and latest php versions but at the same time have such a flawed upgrade process.

1 hour ago, ComGrafPL said:

I am dreading it, but this may be the only way that I will get peace of mind that everything is as it should be!

On my client store i did clean store on new theme, on new presta version. Test the modules and migrate all the products and data from old to new one. After check i transfer new store to old store domain. For now ( for me ) is best way if you need an upgrade. We did from 1.7.6.7.

But we all have our opinions and ways to do it.

OK, so latest in my last attempt to upgrade this rather start with a fresh install, I set upi on my local test server with php7.3 and got a 500 error on running upgrade.php, with this in the error log:

[Fri Dec 17 14:17:26.694681 2021] [php7:error] [pid 15928:tid 2100] [client ::1:50813] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Symfony\\Component\\Intl\\Exception\\MethodNotImplementedException: The Symfony\\Component\\Intl\\Locale\\Locale::setDefault() is not implemented. Please install the "intl" extension for full localization capabilities. in C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\vendor\\symfony\\symfony\\src\\Symfony\\Component\\Intl\\Locale\\Locale.php:318\nStack trace:\n#0 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\classes\\Language.php(1789): Symfony\\Component\\Intl\\Locale\\Locale::setDefault('en-GB')\n#1 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\classes\\Language.php(1603): LanguageCore->getCountries('en-GB')\n#2 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\classes\\Language.php(1576): LanguageCore::updateMultilangFromCldr(Object(Language))\n#3 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\classes\\Language.php(1552): LanguageCore::updateMultilangTables(Object(Language), Array)\n#4 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\src\\PrestaShopBundle\\Install\\Upgrade.php(737): LanguageCore::updateMultilangTable('gb')\n#5 C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\src\\PrestaShopBundle\\Install\\Upgrade.php(838): PrestaSho in C:\\UniServerZ\\www\\wolf.localhost\\vendor\\symfony\\symfony\\src\\Symfony\\Component\\Intl\\Locale\\Locale.php on line 318

any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 1:47 PM, El Patron said:

I wish PS would remove admin notification new version available.  Don't upgrade unless there is new feature you are after.  Why put your hard work in jeopardy for needless upgrade.  And never upgrade to major release .8 in this example, ps considers open source, community tested.

I just take a snapshot of my VM that is running the website before I do any changes.  If the upgrade doesn't work, I just restore the snapshot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so I enabled the intl extension, reinstated the backed-up 1.7.7.3 database and now get this on running upgrade.php

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 215 at column 1: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

I can't copy and paste the rest so have attached a screenshot.

The same error I got before, so nothing to do with PHP version!

😢 😢 😢 😢 losing the will....

148534999-9541254c-72fc-4072-84cc-fb02db6cfbc0.png

Edited by babyewok (see edit history)

May have spoken too soon!  After initially being able to log into the back office, I went to General settings and now get a 500 error on all admin pages. Debug says:

Attempted to call function "curl_init" from namespace "PrestaShop\Module\Ps_metrics\Presenter\Store\Context".

😭